Turntables, Phono Stages and Cartridge Owners Roll Call

Reuben,

You have a great collection of TT and cartridges. Seeing the names in the list, I am curious to know any reason for not using Shure M 97Xe? Did you like the sound?

Hey Sourav, nice to hear from you. The M97xe is a great cart and I always refer to it as the "budget" reincarnation of the legendary Shure V15 series. However I somehow did not like its sound signature, when I owned it. In hind-sight, I was going through a phase at the time, when I got a lot of used vinyl and the M44-7 was my "go-to" cart back then. The M44-7 sounded un-complicated and peppy for me while the M97xe sounded very warm but un-interesting, especially on those Tijuana records. I traded it for my NAD 3020.

I continued to stay away from it as the V-15s themselves arrived.

Last edited:
Turntables I grew up listening to:

Turntables I've owned and listened to, or currently own:

Teac P988 (2003-2005)
Technics SLBD20B (2005-2006)
Technics SL3200 (2006-Present)
Garrard RC210 (2013-2015)
Lenco L75 with Jelco SA370-H tonearm and Stock L75 tonearm (2014-2015)
Garrard 401 Flush Strobe with Jelco SA370H tonearm (2014-2015)
Technics SP25 with Shure M232 tonearm (2014-2015)
Garrard 301 with SME 3009 Series II Improved (2014-Present)
Garrard 401 very early and rare Push Button Flush Strobe Model (NOS) with SME 3009 Series II Improved (2014-Present)
Technics SP10 MkII with SH-10E Power Supply, Syntec S220 tonearm, Sedco BA-3c phonostage, Technics SP10 MkII Remote SH-10R (2014-Present)
Technics SP25 with Linn Basik Plus tonearm, Sedco BA-3c phonostage (2014-Present)

What a lineup! Now, never heard you speak about the 401/301s with the 3009SMEs? In-fact even about the SP10 & SP25. Some background on these?

What a lineup! Now, never heard you speak about the 401/301s with the 3009SMEs? In-fact even about the SP10 & SP25. Some background on these?

Dear RP, the 301 and 401 happened when I set out to scout for TTs. Remember the elderly English gentleman who sold me my first 401, remember he had 2? He eventually sold me the second one too. The 301 was sourced though a good friend of mine, who lives in London. He runs an store there and got a 301 in very bad shape which was stored in a barn and was exposed to the elements. I was behind him to buy it from him and get it completely overhauled. We did a lot of talking over a few months and he eventually sent me the parcel. When I opened up the parcel, the nasty 301 wasn't in it. He had actually sourced another one for me in pristine condition (God bless him). The SME tonearms were procured from Germany through ebay. I love buying stuff from ebay.de as the stuff advertised is always in pristine condition unless otherwise stated. The SP25 and SP10 were sourced from a Radio Station in Brisbane, Australia. My cousins had a hand in sourcing these. They belonged to a very good sound engineer friend of mine, who used to work at the Radio Station. The station had 3 SP 10 MK2s and 2 SP25s in service. When the turntables were retired as the station went digital, the sound engineer managed to buy 2 of the 3 SP 10s and 1 SP25 from his employer. He kept 1 SP10 for himself and decided to sell the other. I bought the SP10 and the SP25 from him. These are in broadcast configuration complete with broadcast phonostage and tonearm (interestingly the SP25 uses a Linn Basik Plus tonearm and not the usual broadcast tonearms. When I clarified this with the seller, he told me that the original Sedco broadcast tonearm was damaged in use and the station replaced it with a Linn tonearm. The phonostages are interesting as they have inbuilt presets for volume, bass and treble. While clarifying this, the engineer told me that the station had sound studios for different genres of music. Apparently each phonostage had its tone controls pre-set depending on the type of music played from each studio (interesting concept).

I had a well documented "not-so-very-great" experience with plinth builds for my earlier Garrard and Lenco turntables. Based on my learnings, I have actually built my own plinths for the 301 and 401. They are simply fabulous, sound brilliant and are very good looking (I've got them professionally finished). Will post some pictures when I am back in India. The SP10 is in its original broadcast plinth, while the SP25 is still on its original broadcast mount, taken from the studio desk.

No audio secrets anymore :lol:

On another note, my friend actually sold that old beat up, faded, heavily corroded 301 with some screws and springs missing, with an idler in very poor shape and with a completely corroded platter, for 700 GBP. Now that is some indication of the value of the 301. What a magnificent machine built by Garrard. Can't help but think what could have happened if more of these were produced and more enthusiasts could own them and enjoy them :)

Last edited:
2012 Rega RP1 fitted with stock Ortofon OM5E cartridge
Stock cables running from the turntable to the phono stage
Trigon Vanguard II phono stage
Trigon Volcano III battery power supply
WSS KS10 interconnect running from the phono stage to my integrated amplifier

Hi Sandeep,

your phono stage sounds interesting to me, just curious if you got chance to compare your phonostage with DIY cnc phonostage of sachin ?

if yes kindly give a brief review

Regards

Tanoj

your phono stage sounds interesting to me, just curious if you got chance to compare your phonostage with DIY cnc phonostage of sachin ?

No I have not nor have I heard the DIY phono stage. I ended up with a pricey Trigon as it came bundled as a package with some other Trigon equipment.

Besides; the Trigon phono stage is over kill for my Rega RP1.

While my stereo rig consists of some really pricey equipment, I don't want to be the one to judge how it sounds. I would leave that to someone with better experience.

Last edited:
While my stereo rig consists of some really pricey equipment, I don't want to be the one to judge how it sounds. I would leave that to someone with better experience.

Why do you say that ? Your system is what YOU like and not what others like. People like systems for various different reasons and so why should someone else's like or dislike of your system matter to you ? It's your personal choice . Enjoy it the way you like it and don't base it on what others tell you about it.
If you are really not happy with it, change it to something YOU like better ! It could turn out to be much cheaper ! ;)

Your system is what YOU like and not what others like.

Off course it is. I don't care what the rest of the world thinks about my rig or if it does not meet their expectations. However; it is good to know from a different perspective about the sound. No harm in that. I am not going to change anything just because someone else found something off. In fact; I had not consulted anyone with regard to the sound of the rig when I was making the purchase. The judge of that was my ears.

Yes; it is possible to build a good rig at a lesser cost. Technology is ever evolving.

Congrats, Reuben!!!

Now we know why you sold off your other TTs:)

Well, honestly it is not easy to maintain a high-value stock pile. I am not at home and these decks occupy a lot of space (though space is not a constraint). My view is rather than stocking stuff without using it, it is always better to let someone else have the opportunity to own them. Unfortunately there is the financial loss angle as well but its all in the name of and spirit of hi-fi enthusiasm, so that's fine. There are little children at home and they look for the first opportunity to fiddle with stuff, that's another danger. While letting stuff go, I follow a policy of preference. The least preferred go first, followed by the more preferred and lastly the most preferred. After hearing the Lenco, felt that the Garrards sounded better and I don't have the time to tweak it, so it became redundant. The Garrard 401, well had 2 at that time so could let one go, I retained the earlier model (simple logic). Then there's intrinsic value as well, I personally feel that the 401 beats the 301 hands down without mods, however I am very proud that I have joined a special league of 301 owners, worldwide and wish to stay there :) I personally believe that the 401 is a better deck when compared to the 301 and that's the reason why I have both.

Last edited:
Yes; it is possible to build a good rig at a lesser cost. Technology is ever evolving.

+1 to this, I have enjoyed music with equipment costing less than Rs.500/- in my early days. I enjoyed listening to Judas Priest, Metallica, Deep Purple on my DIY tape deck, DIY amp and DIY speakers. I still enjoy music on my current rig. The key is "Enjoy" :clapping:

Some turntables and recordplayers that I have
MADE IN GERMANY
Elac PW5 (purchased by my father in 1963, a family member two years senior to me.
Elac PW5 in a portable record player case with single end mono amp, PW10, Miracord 50H
Dual 1019 x 2, 1218, 510
Perpentum Ebner PE Rex (in PE Musical 99 stereo record player with single end amp) PE3046

MADE IN ENGLAND
Garrard 301 schII with SME 3012, 4HF x 2, Type A, RC88, 0/100, SL95, SLX3, AT6
Collaro Conquest
Murphy badged BSR single play automatic, This took over the vinyl playback duty from the Elac PW5 during my adolescent years.

MADE IN SWITZERLAND
Thorens TD224, Lenco L70, Lenco L75 x 3, GL72 (for parts), Sony PS5011 (rebadged Lenco)

MADE IN HOLLAND
Philips AG9125, this is a stereo record player and the amp in it is the famous AG9016. There are a few more Philips machines but I do not remember the model numbers.

MADE IN JAPAN
Pioneer PL11, National table top console, both these idler drive tts are near identical inside and are most likely built by Micro Seiki. Hitachi HT350, Technics SL7

There are several more that are earmarked for projects or parting out.

Regards,

Last edited:
Cartridges with tips ready for use
Shure M3D, M55, M95, Piezo YM320 (totl vintage audiophile cart from Japan), Stanton 681EEE, Pickring V15, Pioneer PC135, B&O SP6

Used in the past, now awaiting new styli, retip.
Shure M7D, V15MkIII, V15MkV, AT12S, AT15S, Decca London Red
There is a box full of lesser carts, not worth discussing.

Regards,

Sonodyne RP-3000D Direct Drive

Desperately looking for Suitable Cartridges

Hi

Iam from Cochin and need Catridges for my Dad's Sonodyne L.P. If anyone can help it would just great.

Thanks

Resurrecting an old thread.

My past setup
Philips 242 + AT91

current setup
Marantz DD 6170 + Shure M55E upgraded to AT95E upgraded to Sumiko Pearl MM
CA651P connected to Atoll PR100SE

Last edited:
Back