TV as PC/laptop monitor

k_vijay12

Any suggestions for using tv as pc monitor? (Laptop to tv connection). Eyes getting strained with laptop exposure. Can sit 8-10ft away n work using a wireless keyboard n mouse. (Opthalmologist said this is better option than changing specs/ laptop)

Pls let me know brand/ models

Any suggestions for using tv as pc monitor? (Laptop to tv connection). Eyes getting strained with laptop exposure. Can sit 8-10ft away n work using a wireless keyboard n mouse. (Opthalmologist said this is better option than changing specs/ laptop)

Pls let me know brand/ models
Any tv with an Hdmi connection will do. How many inches are you looking for and budget? 8-10ft IMO 55 inch will be comfortable.

Text is said to be better on a monitor than on a TV. Connect your laptop to your TV to see if a TV would be right for your requirement.

Text is said to be better on a monitor than on a TV. Connect your laptop to your TV to see if a TV would be right for your requirement.
That's mostly because older TVs didn't support 4:4:4 full chroma from PCs. This has changed recently with most premium and mid-range TVs offering full 4:4:4 bandwidth over HDMI.

There's also RGB v/s BGR pixel layout, but you can change that for most OSes (in Windows it's called Microsoft ClearType).

If you are looking for working only with laptop, then going for a 24" good quality Monitor Dell/HP/Samsung/LG/Viewsonic (starting from 10K) is better option than any LCD/LED/OLED TV panels. Reading text and scrolling on these TV panels is eye straining. You will troubling the eyes more than now.
Computer Monitors are good for text and office work in long run. You can maintain 2 to 3 Ft distance for 24" or 27" Monitor and work comfortably. I am having a same set up, with 24" High-end Dell monitor (similar to Dell U2419H UltraSharp 24" 16:9 IPS Monitor).

IF you still need bigger, this one 32" is good for regular use with medium budget.

This one 27" if you are not minding the budget

Note: You need to check the graphic card support from your laptop beyond 1080P resolution. Going for high resolution is no use if the graphic card of the laptop not supporting such resolution. You will end up with same Laptop screen resolution expanded in the bigger monitor, creating more pain for eyes.

Last edited:
Just saw there are tempting offers on monitors on Amazon today :)

I use a 24" Dell P2419H with my desktop (Amazon purchase). Viewing distance 2.5 to 3 feet. I use it for extended periods without eye strain.
You could go with 27" or 32" for higher viewing distance.

See if you would like to check this out in Bangalore

I too suggest going for a monitor than TV. You can opt for 24 inch minimum or 27 inch is quite good. You feel easy to work through out the day.
Please consider a monitor from any good brand as per your budget.
Using BenQ 27inch full HD monitor GW2780 and happy with it. This has Reading mode and it is easy on eyes.
I see prices has gone up in recent months.

To use your TV as a computer monitor, all you have to do is connect them with an HDMI or DP cable. Then and make sure your TV is on the right input/source, and your computer's resolution is the same as your TV's. First, check that your computer and TV both have an HDMI or DP port. Then use the cable to connect your computer to your TV. Next, make sure that your TV is on the right input/source. You can do this by clicking the input/source button on your remote or on your TV.

Order your Rega Turntables & Amplifiers from HiFiMART.com - India's reputed online dealer.
Back