Ultra Cheap TV as a PC Monitor

wstar788

I am planning on buying an ultra cheap TV to be used as a monitor for my desktop PC.This TV will be connected via hdmi to PC & will only be used to play downloaded content(mostly 1080p & 720p). My budget is ~15k & only concern is picture quality & after sales support/reliability. I have selected Vu Ultra Smart 100cm (40 inch) Full HD LED Smart TV (40SM) available on flipkart for 18k currently(hoping to see its price even lower during BBD sale) & also planning on buying VU extended warranty by paying the 10% of invoice value. Is this a good enough option or can I get better options/deals in offline stores?

I think we can get extended warranty from vu by paying 10% on mrp,not on invoice value which is very bad..Can vu Customers who availed extended warranty confirm this?

I am planning on buying an ultra cheap TV to be used as a monitor for my desktop PC.This TV will be connected via hdmi to PC & will only be used to play downloaded content(mostly 1080p & 720p). My budget is ~15k & only concern is picture quality & after sales support/reliability

When it is near field movie watching (between 3 -5 ft) away from monitor, an Ultrawide monitor would be a great choice as it is Native aspect ratio is 21:9, same as most movies.. You can get an LG 29inch ultrawide for 19K, slightly more than your budget, but better experience IMO..

I have the LG 29inch ultrawide as a desktop monitor at home, and it feels very nice to watch movies..

https://www.amazon.in/LG-29UM69G-Ul...qid=1569070637&sprefix=ultrawide+moni,aps,894

Even if you were to watch it on a 40 inch monitor, there would be black bars on top & bottom of the TV for most movies.. With ultrawide monitors, there are no black bars on top & bottom.. Just full screen with 21:9 movie content.. Also check if your desktop PC supports 2560 x 1080 resolution.. Then you are good to go..

I think we can get extended warranty from vu by paying 10% on mrp,not on invoice value which is very bad..Can vu Customers who availed extended warranty confirm this?
I thought MRP is always much higher(like those pc components with 10k mrp but sell with 5-6k price on proper gst bill) & invoice value(aka 18k as per flipkart) is better or am I missing something.

When it is near field movie watching (between 3 -5 ft) away from monitor, an Ultrawide monitor would be a great choice as it is Native aspect ratio is 21:9, same as most movies.. You can get an LG 29inch ultrawide for 19K, slightly more than your budget, but better experience IMO..

I have the LG 29inch ultrawide as a desktop monitor at home, and it feels very nice to watch movies..

https://www.amazon.in/LG-29UM69G-Ultrawide-Monitor-SPEAKERS/dp/B0793KVRH4/ref=sxin_0_ac_d_rm?ac_md=1-1-bGcgdWx0cmF3aWRlIG1vbml0b3I=-ac_d_rm&crid=1ESD2L66ON8JK&keywords=ultrawide+monitors&pd_rd_i=B0793KVRH4&pd_rd_r=b7b0301e-08ec-4eff-ae90-57a217f539ae&pd_rd_w=KFVj3&pd_rd_wg=1LFsH&pf_rd_p=8148e8f2-bd39-49c4-8707-37b791903fcb&pf_rd_r=F6W9RFWPGQDDD4AYRGRZ&qid=1569070637&sprefix=ultrawide+moni,aps,894

Even if you were to watch it on a 40 inch monitor, there would be black bars on top & bottom of the TV for most movies.. With ultrawide monitors, there are no black bars on top & bottom.. Just full screen with 21:9 movie content.. Also check if your desktop PC supports 2560 x 1080 resolution.. Then you are good to go..
Except movies,rest of the downloaded content is 1080p/720p with 16:9 aspect ratio(& is in majority compared to movies as I watch tv series much more than movies) so ultrawide won't be suitable for my usage.

I thought MRP is always much higher(like those pc components with 10k mrp but sell with 5-6k price on proper gst bill) & invoice value(aka 18k as per flipkart) is better or am I missing something.

I am also planning to buy VU ultrasmart or pixelight in the upcoming BBD sale..Yes u are right mrp is always higher than invoice value and that’s why VU impose this on us and I really don’t like this..Yes you can get 40 inches around 16k during the sale but the ext warranty would be around 2700 as the mrp is 27000..For vu pixelight the mrp is 36000 whereas during the sales time the tv would be available around 22k..Actually we are paying extra 1500-2000 on ext warranty because of this

I am also planning to buy VU ultrasmart or pixelight in the upcoming BBD sale..Yes u are right mrp is always higher than invoice value and that’s why VU impose this on us and I really don’t like this..Yes you can get 40 inches around 16k during the sale but the ext warranty would be around 2700 as the mrp is 27000..For vu pixelight the mrp is 36000 whereas during the sales time the tv would be available around 22k..Actually we are paying extra 1500-2000 on ext warranty because of this
Is that confirmed? If true then this is bad.Also is this extended warranty for 1 years or 2 years as their site does not mention it clearly(it says upto 2 years).

Is that confirmed? If true then this is bad.Also is this extended warranty for 1 years or 2 years as their site does not mention it clearly(it says upto 2 years).

Check the below msg(I sent a mail and asked about warranty and this is their reply)

For buying additional warranty on your already purchased VU TV from Vu directly, we request you to please send your Vu TV's Purchase Invoice / Bill copy to [email protected]As a default you are getting One Year Warranty for your Vu LED TV. You have a choice of purchasing an Extended Warranty of additional Two Years from Vu Extended Warranty Department by paying approximately 10% of the MRP of your Vu LED TV. Then the total warranty will become 1 + 2 = 3 Years. You can purchase this extended warranty anytime within 90 days from date of purchase of your Vu TV.

Also I checked vu owners thread here which provides the same info.10% on mrp for extended warranty( I think for 2 yrs)

Check the below msg(I sent a mail and asked about warranty and this is their reply)

For buying additional warranty on your already purchased VU TV from Vu directly, we request you to please send your Vu TV's Purchase Invoice / Bill copy to [email protected]As a default you are getting One Year Warranty for your Vu LED TV. You have a choice of purchasing an Extended Warranty of additional Two Years from Vu Extended Warranty Department by paying approximately 10% of the MRP of your Vu LED TV. Then the total warranty will become 1 + 2 = 3 Years. You can purchase this extended warranty anytime within 90 days from date of purchase of your Vu TV.

Also I checked vu owners thread here which provides the same info.10% on mrp for extended warranty( I think for 2 yrs)
But purchase invoice(which also incl GST) will show the price as sale price only & not mrp(I have confirmed this with pc products where printed mrp sticker on box & invoice incl gst have different prices). May be their wording is confusing because as per their site:
4: What is the price of the warranty?
Every model has a different price including TAX. Extended warranty is given @ of 10% (inclusive of tax) of your total invoice purchase price.

But purchase invoice(which also incl GST) will show the price as sale price only & not mrp(I have confirmed this with pc products where printed mrp sticker on box & invoice incl gst have different prices). May be their wording is confusing because as per their site:

Pls check this thread(reply from subha)..
Any idea about Sanyo 43s7300f available on amazon?I have shorlisted this and VU.During the sale,price will be 15-16k for sanyo(43 inches)..

Last edited:
Pls check this thread(reply from subha)..
Any idea about Sanyo 43s7300f available on amazon?I have shorlisted this and VU.During the sale,price will be 15-16k for sanyo(43 inches)..
That was in 2015,I think they have changed the policy now.Check this reply posted in Nov 2018 which clearly shows that extended warranty price is calculated at actual sale price(aka invoice value at flipkart).
Price - I got it for Rs.14850/- with 10% off for HDFC + 2 year Ext. Warranty for Rs. 1,215/-
Present rate is 16499/-

I don't have much idea about Sanyo but I do know that sanyo also does not make TV themselves(aka no japanese manufacturing) but simply get it outsourced to chinese manufacturers just like VU so I would rather go with the TV which has better after sales support/extended warranty option.

That was in 2015,I think they have changed the policy now.Check this reply posted in Nov 2018 which clearly shows that extended warranty price is calculated at actual sale price(aka invoice value at flipkart).

Good to know this.For me Some products shows out of stock that includes ultra smart 40 and 49 inches.Is it available in your location?I just hope these are available during BBD

Last edited:
Can somebody tell how much the picture quality difference will be between a 4 years old Philips 32" series 7 tv vs current VU models costing less than 20k?

I am planning on buying an ultra cheap TV to be used as a monitor for my desktop PC.This TV will be connected via hdmi to PC & will only be used to play downloaded content(mostly 1080p & 720p). My budget is ~15k & only concern is picture quality & after sales support/reliability. I have selected Vu Ultra Smart 100cm (40 inch) Full HD LED Smart TV (40SM) available on flipkart for 18k currently(hoping to see its price even lower during BBD sale) & also planning on buying VU extended warranty by paying the 10% of invoice value. Is this a good enough option or can I get better options/deals in offline stores?
Think the opposite way as the resolutions between TV and laptop monitors vary by a abut. Look for a PC monitor that works for TV too. You will be happy with output.

Think the opposite way as the resolutions between TV and laptop monitors vary by a abut. Look for a PC monitor that works for TV too. You will be happy with output.
I know but pc monitor resolution is mainly needed for doing work.e.g.1080p resolution on 32" screen is not good for doing productive work on pc. This is also the reason why a 43" TV can cost as cheap as 15-16k but even the cheapest 32" pc monitor(with 1080p resolution) will cost same or more. If you are just watching videos then there is no point going for a pc monitor which is intended mainly for productive work & gaming.

@wstar788 Any idea about this?Many ratings and reviews for this product at Flipkart.Additional 1 year warranty for panel.Chinese brand-Is it the only negative point?or the quality is bad?

Last edited:
Most monitors at this price range will have decent colors, while the larger TVs will have less accurate colors. If u dont game, input lag doesnt matter much. If you stand the bad colors over the larger screen factor then there is nothing wrong here.

@wstar788 Any idea about this?Many ratings and reviews for this product at Flipkart.Additional 1 year warranty for panel.Chinese brand-Is it the only negative point?or the quality is bad?

From my understanding of online reviews on flipkart/elsewhere it seems that latest Mi TV models are better in terms of smart features compared to similarly priced VU models but picture quality of VU tv appears to be a bit better than Mi TV in similar price range.

Most monitors at this price range will have decent colors, while the larger TVs will have less accurate colors. If u dont game, input lag doesnt matter much. If you stand the bad colors over the larger screen factor then there is nothing wrong here.

May I know any basis for this. I mean sure I know about LG 24"/32" IPS monitors priced ~16k or less but from my understanding VU tv also use A+ grade panel which may be VA which does have lesser viewing angles compared to IPS but I don't think a good VA panel will offer any less video watching experience compared to an IPS panel(assuming no viewing angle factor).

Get the Wharfedale EVO 4.2 3-Way Standmount Speakers at a Special Offer Price.
Back