Ultra Cheap TV as a PC Monitor

May I know any basis for this. I mean sure I know about LG 24"/32" IPS monitors priced ~16k or less but from my understanding VU tv also use A+ grade panel which may be VA which does have lesser viewing angles compared to IPS but I don't think a good VA panel will offer any less video watching experience compared to an IPS panel(assuming no viewing angle factor).
Ok, Well I had a series 6 samsung 48 inch led tv at home before. My monitor is a Dell U2414H. I had tried every possible way to calibrate the tv to have the same profile as my monitor which to me is pretty accurate for photo editing. I also have a macbook pro which is more vibrant but still produces the same or little more colors than u2414h. I wanted to get rid of the monitor so that I could edit on a bigger screen. Despite my efforts nothing worked out, as the tv had some weird gamma setting, where I could not find a balance between saturation and washed out and neutral tint. This was a series 6 tv. Having seen the entry level tvs before at stores, I m pretty sure, u cannot acheive color accuracy on any of those. Infact , color accuracy of a decent monitor under 20k is hard to match on big tvs under 80k. Atleast I havent seen it. u can take a reference image and carry ur laptop to a store to check it out.

From my understanding of online reviews on flipkart/elsewhere it seems that latest Mi TV models are better in terms of smart features compared to similarly priced VU models but picture quality of VU tv appears to be a bit better than Mi TV in similar price range.

What did u bought? I have ordered vu Pixelight from flipkart

Ok, Well I had a series 6 samsung 48 inch led tv at home before. My monitor is a Dell U2414H. I had tried every possible way to calibrate the tv to have the same profile as my monitor which to me is pretty accurate for photo editing. I also have a macbook pro which is more vibrant but still produces the same or little more colors than u2414h. I wanted to get rid of the monitor so that I could edit on a bigger screen. Despite my efforts nothing worked out, as the tv had some weird gamma setting, where I could not find a balance between saturation and washed out and neutral tint. This was a series 6 tv. Having seen the entry level tvs before at stores, I m pretty sure, u cannot acheive color accuracy on any of those. Infact , color accuracy of a decent monitor under 20k is hard to match on big tvs under 80k. Atleast I havent seen it. u can take a reference image and carry ur laptop to a store to check it out.
How is this monitor:

Also samsung uses VA panels so obviously it will never achieve same colour accuracy as IPS panel monitors but what about cheap TVs with IPS panels(sanyo,motorola,older sharp/panasonic models). How will these fare against above mentioned monitor? Btw photo editing is much different from video viewing where colour accuracy is not as critical as deeper blacks/contrast so I have to ask,which one you preferred for watching movies/tv shows(samsung tv or dell monitor).

Cheap TVs don’t lend themselves well to monitor usage..
That’s probably because the panels with their inherent limitations are software tuned to reproduce video as best as they can - but they fare very poorly when it comes to text reproduction..
more often than not, you will find it impossible to perform an over-ride of the software turning to get a 1:1 output of your PC..
if your sole use case is a cheap large screen for video playback, go ahead by all means
If you do however intend to use it for any text based use case, I would strongly urge to refrain..

higher end TVs allow for an over-ride to all in-built processing (e.g. seating input type to DVI/PC on samsung QLED) but haven;t seen anything similar on the cheaper ones

Last edited:
Cheap TVs don’t lend themselves well to monitor usage..
That’s probably because the panels with their inherent limitations are software tuned to reproduce video as best as they can - but they fare very poorly when it comes to text reproduction..
more often than not, you will find it impossible to perform an over-ride of the software turning to get a 1:1 output of your PC..
if your sole use case is a cheap large screen for video playback, go ahead by all means
If you do however intend to use it for any text based use case, I would strongly urge to refrain..

higher end TVs allow for an over-ride to all in-built processing (e.g. seating input type to DVI/PC on samsung QLED) but haven;t seen anything similar on the cheaper ones
I have a laptop for doing all the work,desktop pc is just for watching downloaded content. As far as I know all the "in-built tv processing" is usually limited to upscaling(only matters if incoming video signal is lower than tv resolution),frame correction(again only applies if mismatch between native tv refresh rate & incoming video signal.also usually have the option to turn it off by something like smooth motion/motion enhancement etc) & HDR(not applicable to a 1080p tv). I intend to use madvr to upscale any source(mostly 720p 23.976/30fps besides 1080p) to 1080p before sending the video signal to tv via hdmi so I think even a cheaper tv won't have issues with "in-built processing" assuming what I said above is correct.

P.S. How would you rate a philips series 7(3d) 2014 model(ips panel) picture quality with current VU/TCL/iffalcon/sanyo/kodak cheap models below 20k?

I have a laptop for doing all the work,desktop pc is just for watching downloaded content. As far as I know all the "in-built tv processing" is usually limited to upscaling(only matters if incoming video signal is lower than tv resolution),frame correction(again only applies if mismatch between native tv refresh rate & incoming video signal.also usually have the option to turn it off by something like smooth motion/motion enhancement etc) & HDR(not applicable to a 1080p tv). I intend to use madvr to upscale any source(mostly 720p 23.976/30fps besides 1080p) to 1080p before sending the video signal to tv via hdmi so I think even a cheaper tv won't have issues with "in-built processing" assuming what I said above is correct.

P.S. How would you rate a philips series 7(3d) 2014 model(ips panel) picture quality with current VU/TCL/iffalcon/sanyo/kodak cheap models below 20k?
The problem with the VUs/TCLs is that the panel quality can vary widely from lot to lot..
There are too many variables from one make to another to say for sure-
However what can be said for certain is you won't have an issue with video playback with any TV pretty much
Text rendering can be hit or miss
For example I had a cheap VU 42" at one point in time which was absolutely unacceptable for text rendering - even after disabling all possible options in the menu, the internal rendering engine would still do something to the text to make it blurry

On a Samsung 9 series, I find the text rendering acceptable (all post processing disable on said input) but a far cheaper 4K monitor I have (LG something which cost less than a fifth of the TV) does a far better job at the same..
Of course the Samsung 9 blows the LG monitor out of the water when it comes to video.

The only way to truly tell is to try for yourself because as with audio, what may be unacceptable to one may be perfectly good for another depending on the individual's priorities

What about picture quality of older gens vs latest cheap tv models? e.g.2014 philips series 7/lg ips panel models vs current VU/TCL sub 20k VA models(assuming no viewing angle issues by sitting in straight front).

How is this monitor:

Also samsung uses VA panels so obviously it will never achieve same colour accuracy as IPS panel monitors but what about cheap TVs with IPS panels(sanyo,motorola,older sharp/panasonic models). How will these fare against above mentioned monitor? Btw photo editing is much different from video viewing where colour accuracy is not as critical as deeper blacks/contrast so I have to ask,which one you preferred for watching movies/tv shows(samsung tv or dell monitor).

Been using this as monitor for home office work. Decent in color reproduction, brightness for desk work and gud to double up as alternate TV for personal use, when main TV set is occupied by ur family members.
Shld come below 14k, keep watch on diferent online sites.
Btw, there was Acer 32 inch , similar spec selling at 13k during recent sales

Been using this as monitor for home office work. Decent in color reproduction, brightness for desk work and gud to double up as alternate TV for personal use, when main TV set is occupied by ur family members.
Shld come below 14k, keep watch on diferent online sites.
Btw, there was Acer 32 inch , similar spec selling at 13k during recent sales
Thanks for the reply.How good is this monitor for watching videos? I just want a big screen for playing downloaded 1080p & 720p stuff with a quality not lower than my 5 years old 32" philips led tv ips panel which has a similar picture quality as LG 32" ips panel tv models in 2014. Because I will sit right in front middle of the screen direction so VA viewing angles is not an issue for me but i am concerned that cheap va panels in lower end models may not be even as good as my 5 years old tv ips panel.

No Complains with video as well for me. Do end up watching lots of streaming content on it since main TV is never free for me :)

I am planning on buying an ultra cheap TV to be used as a monitor for my desktop PC.This TV will be connected via hdmi to PC & will only be used to play downloaded content(mostly 1080p & 720p). My budget is ~15k & only concern is picture quality & after sales support/reliability. I have selected Vu Ultra Smart 100cm (40 inch) Full HD LED Smart TV (40SM) available on flipkart for 18k currently(hoping to see its price even lower during BBD sale) & also planning on buying VU extended warranty by paying the 10% of invoice value. Is this a good enough option or can I get better options/deals in offline stores?
In this era where we are living it’s not okay to have an old-dated TV. Now everyone wants to be digital and modernize and if we talk about TV’s so most people are switching to 4K smart TV’s. more - VU Iconium 43 4K Smart TV Review

Might be tge wrong thread to ask this question. The aspect ratio of my laptop connected to samsung led is not correct. I cannot see full image. How do i change the aspect ratio. My laptop has windows 10 and amd graphics card. I looked online and came to know about aspect ratio option in amd graphics app. But ,i dont find that option in my laptop, might be i am having updated version. guys any help wud be appreciated.

Order your Rega Turntables & Amplifiers from HiFiMART.com - India's reputed online dealer.
Back