Universal remote control advice needed

snshah

Hello,
I have recently bought Yamaha RX-V373 AVR. With the introduction of AVR, I am now juggling between three remote controls.

1. Sony KDL-40EX720 LED TV remote
2. Airtel HD STB remote
3. Yamaha RX-V373 AVR remote

I mainly use Sony tv remote control for mainly changing input source, controlling volume from both Airtel HD STB and Internet TV.

Please suggest me good universal remote control which is compatible to all three products and make life easier. I am also planning to buy BD player soon so, there will be fourth device added into the list.

Need your expert advice!!!

thanks for your suggestion. Is marantz rc101 available in India and if yes, what does it cost? One more thing, I researched on logitech harmony and there are quite a few model. which one do you recommend?

Happy long time user of Logitech Harmony.

They have a wide range and you can choose the one that is value for money from your perspective.

V Shankar

Buy your BD first & then buy the URC. If u buy the Sony BDP S490 u will need to buy an URC that can unlock it to make it DVD region free.

I tried Logitech harmony 525 and found to be very useful. You can define activities like 'Watch Blu-Ray' and then at the touch of one button, the remote will turn on your TV, BDP, HT and switch the HDMI inputs to the desired ones. Another feature is that any remote can be configured by connecting to the logitech site through the software provided and they have a large collection of remote controls in their database. With other cheap remotes, you will need to teach them the remote codes. Another brand to look for is one4all. Whatever you buy, get one with rechargeable battery because these remotes will deplete battery very fast.

Whichever one you buy, just ensure that it has learning feature (Logitech 525 has it).
Try getting a Sony VL-600 or VLZ620 from US or may be Singapore. I am using both of them, and am more than satisfied. I've also used Logitech 550 (the US equivalent of 525).
All those I've mentioned above are too good. Get any one of them.

actually i dont see a 525 retailing on this website. is it the same as the harmony 650 ? also if some one can confirm if it works with a denon amp + epson projector + sony blu ray etc and where i can find a list of equipment it can handle ? thanks.

^^ 525 is an old model. Logitech URC works with a variety of devices. I tried it with Denon 1612, Panasonic TV, Reliance DTH, Sherwood Blu-Ray player, MCE remote. If a device is not listed in the database, you can use the learn method to copy the remote control key codes.

Buy your BD first & then buy the URC. If u buy the Sony BDP S490 u will need to buy an URC that can unlock it to make it DVD region free.

@gsurya
thanks for your advice. I am not sure about BDP as lot of people in this forum are discussion about region free and I have no idea about it. I am intend to buy BDs locally. would it affect the decision of buying URC? I am little inclined towards panasonic DMP-BDT110 as it also offers lot of codecs support. Please suggest me if you have any better option.

It seems that major opinion towards logitech harmony. I have a limited budget to be spent on this and looking for something < 5k. It should work with all my products including RX-V373 AVR.

If you intend to buy discs locally, i.e., BDP and discs from same region, then this should not affect your choice of universal remote. If you are inclined towards Panasonic DMP-BDT110, may I suggest that you go for the 220 instead which is better and also offers built-in wifi (not sure about model 110).

Harmony remotes are know to work for almost any equipment that is operated by IR remote. I am able to start and shut down my AC also with this remote. The basic philosophy and technology of the Harmony remote remains the same - programming via the internet database. The models differ by offering extra features such as LCD screen, LCD touch screen, rechargeable battery and so on. Even if the remote costs slightly more than 5K, it will be worth. Better to spend once, cry once and laugh all the time later. :)

Thanks just4kix. Thanks for suggestion on DMP-BDT220. Do you have compare links between 110 and 220?

I agree with your thoughts about URC to spend some more and enjoy rest of life. :)

Which model do you suggest about Harmony and how long their battery lasts? Do you think that using smart phone apps better solution than Harmony (just a thought)?

Thanks just4kix. Thanks for suggestion on DMP-BDT220. Do you have compare links between 110 and 220?

I agree with your thoughts about URC to spend some more and enjoy rest of life. :)

Which model do you suggest about Harmony and how long their battery lasts? Do you think that using smart phone apps better solution than Harmony (just a thought)?
You can compare Panasonic BDPs on Pansonic, UK site.

Harmony 625 could be good enough for you. It uses 2 AA cells that last a month or so - these remotes are very power hungry. So investing in rechargeable batteries may be worth. Harmony 900 will be too expensive for you.

No smart phone app comes even close to Harmony features.

Harmonies are a good bet. URCs are supposed to be reliable as well.
Logitech is soon to shut down their remote section, so you might want to keep that in mind.

@just4kix - Thank you very much for guiding me through. I looked at harmony and it seems that 625 model is not available instead 650 model is available. Would it suffice the need?

@abhilash220 - I understand that buying harmony URC is the wise and comfortable choice but per you it might not be future safe. If company is planning to shutdown their remote unit.

Any idea about OneforAll URC?

Can someone suggest a good Universal Remote control which my parents need. They have a Samsung LED TV, Sony DVD player and Dish TV DTH. It's very cumbersome to use 2-3 remotes for them.

For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back