Upgrade from a cheapish headset

xewecan

I am looking to get an upgrade from a cheapish headset and want to get a pair of headphones around $250-$300 that are good for both listening to music and playing games. I don’t care if they are open or closed back as long as they are comfortable and can be worn for hours at a time. I don’t own a dac or amp but am looking to get a pair if needed.

I use senheiser HD600 and HD650. Both are good open back headphones. I also use Audio Technica ATH-M50x closed back. They are very comfortable to wear and also easy to hang it around the neck when not using. Another useful feature is that the entire cable can be removed. So it is comfortable to sleep on the back with the headphone on your neck and the cable removed when you want to doze off for few minutes. One problem with ATH-M50x is that you have to use it carefully. They are not very sturdy and can break around the swivel point and the headband and ear cups are of bad quality and should be replaced by better after-market headband and the ear sponge. The sponge material disintegrates in few years. For extended listening I prefer ATH-M50x because they are very comfortable for my head. Audio quality wise ATH-M50x is far behind the senheisers, but with the senheiser I get ear canal/ear lobe fatigue.

1716356979549.png

Last edited:
The Marantz PM7000N offers big, spacious and insightful sound, class-leading clarity and a solid streaming platform in a award winning package.
Back