Upgrade suggestions

pbananth

I am having Denon x2300w withDali Zensor 5 speaker package (with tower speakers). Also phase atmos speakers . 5.1.2 setup.
I like to upgrade to 9.1.4 setup with powerful AVR.
Viewing mostly tv & Netflix and some music.
My room is bedroom/hometheatre.(14’x20’).
Kindly suggest some combination.
Thanks.

What is your budget?

If you need all 9+4 processing from AVR, you need Denon 8500H.
You may consider 9.2.4 setup (dual subwoofer) - SVS Dual PB4000 or Dual PB2000 can be considered.
If you need musical bass Dual SB4000 can be considered.
You may consider KEF/SVS/Focal speakers.

You have a healthy budget for a great 7.1.4 home theater systems. If you invest wisely you may end up with great system which can stay with you longer periods without upgradation. For 9.1.4 , you may need to compromise in speakers and subwoofer as major budget will be consumed by 9.2.4 AVR. Driving 13 speakers will definitely strain the AVR and you may need additional power amplifier. Within your budget you may have nine channels AVR with eleven channels pre-out supported by five channels power amplifier for four Atmos speakers or four surround speakers and AVR will drive only seven channels . This will give enough headroom for AVR . Already you have very good speakers set so add Dali Zenser 7 for front and Atmos speakers else add additional subwoofer with surround back and Atmos speakers.

15 speakers in a 14 x 20 bedroom!!
Wow. Isn't it overkill?
There's a lot going on in there ;)
7.1.4 is reasonable and implementable
Cheers,
Raghu

thanks for everyone..
if i am going for 7.1.4 which AVR to purchase?
should i keepa Dali speakers or not?
any other suggestion..
thanks..

You have first hand experience with Dali. If the sound appeals to you, keep them.
The only thing that should worry you about matching Dali with new AVR is the 6 ohm rating.
Amp may need to have some headroom.
Cheaper amps may struggle a bit; mid to high priced amps should handle such impedance loads.
Some love, hopefully, would have been shown to the power amp section for the bump in price :)
If possible, lug your main speakers to the showroom for audition.
Or better ask for home audition (some dealers may accommodate this request).
Cheers,
Raghu

15 speakers in a 14 x 20 bedroom!!
Wow. Isn't it overkill?
There's a lot going on in there ;)
7.1.4 is reasonable and implementable
Cheers,
Raghu

Why do you feel it is overkill?.. If one can do 5.1 set-up in a 10 x 10ft room, then in the same room, adding 4 overheads is also possible.. So a 10 x 10 ft room can take 5.1.4 set-up..

Cost of the AVR aside, he has a much bigger room 14 x 20 ft and 9.1.6 is easily doable in that room, would be a killer HT experience..

thanks for everyone..
if i am going for 7.1.4 which AVR to purchase?
should i keepa Dali speakers or not?
any other suggestion..
thanks..

Either you can consider AVR having 11 amplifier channels to drive all speakers - models like Marantz 8012 or Denon 6500H can be considered.
Or you can buy AVR having 9 amplifier channels and 11 processing channels - models like Marantz 6013 or Denon 4500H can be considered. In this case you will need another 2 channel amplifier to get 7.1.4

If you like Dali you can keep it

Or you can audition other speaker brands and decide

I am having Denon x2300w withDali Zensor 5 speaker package (with tower speakers). Also phase atmos speakers . 5.1.2 setup.
Thanks.

Please let us know your room size.9.1.4 will be good,but it will best suited for bigger rooms . Also only AVR that supports is Denon X8500 which is costly .
The other Pre-pro options are available but still very much costly.
Marantz AV8805 13.2 processor
Emotiva RMC1-16 channel processor
Trinnov Altitude 16 - 16 channel processor
Datasat Ls10 -processor-13 channel processor
These processor itself costly added to it ,u may require good power amps and speakers with a good acoustically terated room to get the best out of it.

The best I feel is u can retain the Dali speakers and add further same series of speakers with a good selection of AVR probably 11 channel (u can do 7.2.4) and can get best out of it.Choice is yours.

Thanks.
A basic question. Does netflix offer anything above 5.1 as of now? Most of the content i find is 5.1 ! If it does then do name a few shows/movies :)

Netflix does. Some content is Atmos but I think you have to be on the ultra plan.
But... yes there is a big but.
These days many folks are using the TV or devices like Chromecast/Firestick for Netflix.
So AVR, even though its capable of much more than 5.1, is being limited by what the TV or devices can push through.

I am seeing this at my home. Its not a bother here, as I don't have even 5.1 setup after AVR.

Cheers,
Rgahu

For Subwoofers, do consider the Rythmik subwoofers. SVS pB400 is good but the equally performing Rythmik FV15hp is almost half the price in india. You can also consider the PSA Subwoofers and the XTZ subwoofers.
IF you spend toomuch on AV Receivers, you will be left with too little budget for the speakers and subwoofers.
A pair of good subwoofer is very very important for a Hometheatre setup so try to invest a significant sum on the subwoofers.
AV receivers receive updates and new technologies every year, but good speakers and subwoofers tend to last a decade without having to update so it is wise to spend good money on speakers and subwoofers. So, I would recommend you to not go beyond the Denon 4000 series or the Marantz 6000 or 7000 series AV Receivers.

Netflix does. Some content is Atmos but I think you have to be on the ultra plan.
But... yes there is a big but.
These days many folks are using the TV or devices like Chromecast/Firestick for Netflix.
So AVR, even though its capable of much more than 5.1, is being limited by what the TV or devices can push through.

I am seeing this at my home. Its not a bother here, as I don't have even 5.1 setup after AVR.

Cheers,
Rgahu
Most of the content available is 5.1 let alone what tvs can push through. Also i have hooked up my kindle stick directly to my avr so i guess tv is ruled out of the audio chain.

Get the Wharfedale EVO 4.2 3-Way Standmount Speakers at a Special Offer Price.
Back