Upgraded my Vinyl setup

john_k_antony

Hey guys,

I just upgraded/added some components to my Pro-Ject Debut III turn table.

New Additions/Upgrades

1. Speed Box II
2. Acry It Platter
3. OM 30 stylus
4. Spin Clean record cleaning machine.

I got them all from needledoctor.com.

So far I have setup the Speed Box II and Acryl It platter. I do notice a difference in sound. The sound has become much more detailed now. I kind of feel that the warmth is lost a little bit. However the clarity and details have improved a lot. The deep&tight bass is still missing.

I am still using the entry level MM phono box phono stage from Pro-Ject and rest of my system is Denon 2310 paired with Kef Q7.

However, my most expensive upgrade - OM 30 stylus may not do much good for me :(. I bought the stylus after reading in some forums and consulting with needledoctor support team. Every one recommended me to go for that to get much better track-ability and better bass.

However when I contacted Ortofon, they said I wont get the full power of OM30 stylus from Pro-Ject Debut III because of the mediocre tonearm used in Debut III. I am yet to connect the stylus. Will do it on 15th.

Now I feel I should have used the money to upgrade in a better deck :(.

Thanks,
John.

Hi John,
I did tell you about upgrading your TT in other thread.Don't worry OM30 is a great cart and will perform reasonably good.

Regards,
Sachin

Hey guys,

I just upgraded/added some components to my Pro-Ject Debut III turn table.

New Additions/Upgrades

1. Speed Box II
2. Acry It Platter
3. OM 30 stylus
4. Spin Clean record cleaning machine.

I got them all from needledoctor.com.

So far I have setup the Speed Box II and Acryl It platter. I do notice a difference in sound. The sound has become much more detailed now. I kind of feel that the warmth is lost a little bit. However the clarity and details have improved a lot. The deep&tight bass is still missing.

I am still using the entry level MM phono box phono stage from Pro-Ject and rest of my system is Denon 2310 paired with Kef Q7.

However, my most expensive upgrade - OM 30 stylus may not do much good for me :(. I bought the stylus after reading in some forums and consulting with needledoctor support team. Every one recommended me to go for that to get much better track-ability and better bass.

However when I contacted Ortofon, they said I wont get the full power of OM30 stylus from Pro-Ject Debut III because of the mediocre tonearm used in Debut III. I am yet to connect the stylus. Will do it on 15th.

Now I feel I should have used the money to upgrade in a better deck :(.

Thanks,
John.

You could have gone for Rega RP3

John, sometimes the only way to learn is by experience. Why don't you install the cartridge and try? Maybe you'll like it's sound...technical details be damned!

BTW...did you buy from needledoctor and get it shipped here?

John, sometimes the only way to learn is by experience. Why don't you install the cartridge and try? Maybe you'll like it's sound...technical details be damned!

I was in US for 2 weeks. I bought it from needledoctor and shipped it to my friend in US. They do ship to India.

Congrats!!!

My life is too chaotic to go vinyl :( :p

Hey Core,

Thanks buddy.

BTW on OT, I was in US for last 2 weeks and I met Sean Casey - founder of Zu Audio and spent some great time with him. Amazing person. I listened to Omen BS, Omen Def and Def MK IV at friends place and they are just too good. I am ordering Omen Def and planning to get them directly from US via sea freight :).

John.

+1 to this,just install the cart.I am almost 100% sure it will be a major upgrade in your vinyl setup.Do not get into too much technical details.It should make a better combo with your tonearm.

Regards,
Sachin

Hey Core,

Thanks buddy.

BTW on OT, I was in US for last 2 weeks and I met Sean Casey - founder of Zu Audio and spent some great time with him. Amazing person. I listened to Omen BS, Omen Def and Def MK IV at friends place and they are just too good. I am ordering Omen Def and planning to get them directly from US via sea freight :).

John.

Wow that's pretty awesome, which city did all this happen in and how'd you get to meet him? Some audio meet?

Congrats, John. All good buys! You shouldn't worry about the tonearm thing now. Enjoy the music for now, and later if you think of upgrading, you have a nice cart ready with you. In any case this cart will do better than the one the TT came with, right?

Great to know about the Zu meet. Do write about how the Zu Omens sounded like.

Wow that's pretty awesome, which city did all this happen in and how'd you get to meet him? Some audio meet?

Sean is a very close friend of my boss in US. Sean came down for an audio show in CA and he stayed at my boss's house. So we all met at my boss's house for dinner.

I couldn't go to the audio show though.

BTW, This all happened in Alameda, CA, US :).

Congrats, John. All good buys! You shouldn't worry about the tonearm thing now. Enjoy the music for now, and later if you think of upgrading, you have a nice cart ready with you. In any case this cart will do better than the one the TT came with, right?

Great to know about the Zu meet. Do write about how the Zu Omens sounded like.

Sure will do :).

Sean is a very close friend of my boss in US. Sean came down for an audio show in CA and he stayed at my boss's house. So we all met at my boss's house for dinner.

I couldn't go to the audio show though.

BTW, This all happened in Alameda, CA, US :).

Dude.. I was in oakland for 2 weeks 1.5 weeks ago! I could have come met you guys!

John,
The Ortofon Super OM 30 is a really good MM cart. I use this in my Scheu Cello TT with a Rega RB 251 arm and I am happy with the sound, so are the distinguished forum members who paid a visit. The tonearm in Debut III may not do full justice to this cart, but there will be noticeable improvements, I'd think. Which arm is used in Debut III? If it's 9c, it may not be bad. Anyway, can you get the effective mass of the tonearm in your Debut III?

Regards.

John,
The Ortofon Super OM 30 is a really good MM cart. I use this in my Scheu Cello TT with a Rega RB 251 arm and I am happy with the sound, so are the distinguished forum members who paid a visit. The tonearm in Debut III may not do full justice to this cart, but there will be noticeable improvements, I'd think. Which arm is used in Debut III? If it's 9c, it may not be bad. Anyway, can you get the effective mass of the tonearm in your Debut III?

Regards.

The arm in Debut III is 8.6 :( not the 9c. Its not Carbon Fiber. Effective tonearm mass is 9.5g

Please look at the link below for more details.

Pro-Ject Debut III Turntable in Yellow

Wow! on the meeting with Sean...I've heard so many good things about their speakers but never got to hear them...maybe once they arrive at your place ;) :licklips:

Wow! on the meeting with Sean...I've heard so many good things about their speakers but never got to hear them...maybe once they arrive at your place ;) :licklips:

Sure thing man. But you will have to wait another 4-5 months ;). Sean is already overbooked on Omen Defs I am planning to get and also I am getting them over sea. That would take another 2 months.

The arm in Debut III is 8.6 :( not the 9c. Its not Carbon Fiber. Effective tonearm mass is 9.5g

Please look at the link below for more details.

Pro-Ject Debut III Turntable in Yellow

Hi John,
effective mass of your tonearm is only 9 grams,which is light weight.Om30 being a high compliance cart(25 m)is perfect match for this.Technically it should sound perfect with low mass arm of your TT.

Regards,
Sachin

Order your Rega Turntables & Amplifiers from HiFiMART.com - India's reputed online dealer.
Back