Upgrading from 7.2.4 to 7.2.6

ankitbhargava

Hello everyone :)

Need advise,

I participated in ToneWinner AT300 group buy and expecting the delivery in couple of weeks.

I will be able to upgrade from 7.2.4 to 7.2.6

Right now my configuration for Atmos channels is "Front heights using SVS prime elevation" and "Polk RC80i in ceiling as Top Middle".

My question is,
Should I just add a pair of Polk RC80i in celing as Top Rear OR would it be better to shift SVS to Rear height and add Polk RC80i as "Top front".

As of now these front height (SVS) are almost 14.5 feet away from MLP.

So,
Front Height (SVS prime elevation) | Top Middle (Polk RC 80i in ceiling) | Top Rear (Polk RC 80i in ceiling)
v/s
Top Front (Polk RC 80i in ceiling) | Top Middle (Polk RC 80i in ceiling) | Rear Height (SVS Prime elevation)

OR
I am even open to idea of all in ceiling
Top Front (Polk RC 80i in ceiling) | Top Middle (Polk RC 80i in ceiling) | Top Rear (Polk RC 80i in ceiling), IF thats allowed as configuration

Need advise,

I participated in ToneWinner AT300 group buy and expecting the delivery in couple of weeks.

Right now my configuration for Atmos channels is "Front heights using SVS prime elevation" and "Polk RC80i in ceiling as Top Middle".

My question is,
Should I just add a pair of Polk RC80i in celing as Top Rear OR would it be better to shift SVS to Rear height and add Polk RC80i as "Top front".

So,
Front Height (SVS prime elevation) | Top Middle (Polk RC 80i in ceiling) | Top Rear (Polk RC 80i in ceiling)
v/s
Top Front (Polk RC 80i in ceiling) | Top Middle (Polk RC 80i in ceiling) | Rear Height (SVS Prime elevation)

OR
Top Front (Polk RC 80i in ceiling) | Top Middle (Polk RC 80i in ceiling) | Top Rear (Polk RC 80i in ceiling), IF thats allowed as configuration
I also use svs elevations for heights and along with mono price inceiling speakers. In terms of quality the elevation is very good compared. Do you also observe the same or both perform equally good? Also do you have the space and angle for 7.2.6 as per Dolby guidelines from your MLP? If not it may spoil the imaging and panning of height effects. For me Surround’s and rear heights sound the same since I went overboard with a 5.2.4 set up for my small space. 5.2.2 had better panning.

I also use svs elevations for heights and along with mono price inceiling speakers. In terms of quality the elevation is very good compared. Do you also observe the same or both perform equally good? Also do you have the space and angle for 7.2.6 as per Dolby guidelines from your MLP? If not it may spoil the imaging and panning of height effects. For me Surround’s and rear heights sound the same since I went overboard with a 5.2.4 set up for my small space. 5.2.2 had better panning.
Definitely, those elevations have a better sound than in-celing ones, however for just playing Atmos content I believe a mediocre performing speaker set should be fine. Just my personal opinion.

Yes I do have space for the 6 atmos, Top Fronts would be about 10 feet away, Top middle 7 feet and Top Rear 7 feet. The gap between these 3 pair would be Top Front to Middle about 5.5 feet, Middle to Rear about 5 feet.

Definitely, those elevations have a better sound than in-celing ones, however for just playing Atmos content I believe a mediocre performing speaker set should be fine. Just my personal opinion.

Yes I do have space for the 6 atmos, Top Fronts would be about 10 feet away, Top middle 7 feet and Top Rear 7 feet. The gap between these 3 pair would be Top Front to Middle about 5.5 feet, Middle to Rear about 5 feet.
You must be really perceptive in your hearing ability to go for so many ceiling atmos speakers :) I barely notice my 2 Atmos speakers in a movie ! I understand that Atmos is more for atmospheric effects rather than placement effects (I could be wrong). If that is the case then 2 or 4 should be good enough unless the room is really large.

You must be really perceptive in your hearing ability to go for so many ceiling atmos speakers :) I barely notice my 2 Atmos speakers in a movie ! I understand that Atmos is more for atmospheric effects rather than placement effects (I could be wrong). If that is the case then 2 or 4 should be good enough unless the room is really large.
I am really satisfied with the level of engagement Atmos channels have in my setup and the content I watch :)
infact there is definitely scope of adding the Rear Atmos channel. :)

Thanks, any specific reason for that?
Yes. You are farthest away from your front Atmos speakers, and even very high dispersion ceiling speakers may not reach your MLP very well. But, the angled SVS elevation speakers will point directly at your MLP and give a much better impact. Also, there is less chance of cross-talk/mixing of the audio from your LCR and top Atmos.

Yes. You are farthest away from your front Atmos speakers, and even very high dispersion ceiling speakers may not reach your MLP very well. But, the angled SVS elevation speakers will point directly at your MLP and give a much better impact. Also, there is less chance of cross-talk/mixing of the audio from your LCR and top Atmos.
Definitely makes sense.

I was under impression that Front Heights are more engaged in extending effects of the fronts but with some experiment I could gather that they have almost same engagement as Top Front. Playing "Helicopter" demo of Dolby confirmed that both Top Middle and Front heights are being used properly.

Definitely makes sense.

I was under impression that Front Heights are more engaged in extending effects of the fronts but with some experiment I could gather that they have almost same engagement as Top Front. Playing "Helicopter" demo of Dolby confirmed that both Top Middle and Front heights are being used properly.
Kinda off topic, but how did you find that demo? In my personally experience, i felt that when you have mixed brand speakers for Atmos, especially and only for that demo, the helicopter sounds very different when it moves across speakers. I have experienced this twice. This is perhaps solvable by Audyssey (which my AVR does not have) but it did not give me a good experience as the tone/timbre of the different speakers did not match. Did you feel/notice the same?

Need advise,

My question is,

So,
v/s

OR
Congrats on group buy.
A different thought ,if that processor supports Front wides ,and if you have space to accommodate it ,then better to do 9.2.4
It will give you great immersion I feel.

In case of you are going for 6 heights then post a sketch of your room dimensions which will be good for the FM to comment.

Congrats on group buy.
A different thought ,if that processor supports Front wides ,and if you have space to accommodate it ,then better to do 9.2.4

In case of you are going for 6 heights then post a sketch of your room dimensions which will be good for the FM to comment.
Unfortunately I do not have space for wides otherwise I would have definitely opted for it. :)

I will post a layout/dimensions shortly

Kinda off topic, but how did you find that demo? In my personally experience, i felt that when you have mixed brand speakers for Atmos, especially and only for that demo, the helicopter sounds very different when it moves across speakers. I have experienced this twice. This is perhaps solvable by Audyssey (which my AVR does not have) but it did not give me a good experience as the tone/timbre of the different speakers did not match. Did you feel/notice the same?
Somehow for me the panning sound from fronts to middles sound almost same. Doesn't sound like 2 different brands and different specs speakers as such. May be my ears aren't trained enough. :)

Congrats on group buy.

Here is the layout and dimensions

The Room is 20 feet X 18 feet X 9.5 feet with false ceiling

Front heights to MLP about 14 feet
Top Middle to MLP about 7.5 feet (pointed to MLP)
Potential Top rear or Rear height would be about 7.5 feet from MLP (marked in red)

Distance between speakers
Front heights to Top Middle about 10 feet
Top Middle to Potential Rears about 5 feet

roomnew.jpeg

Here is the layout and dimensions

The Room is 20 feet X 18 feet X 9.5 feet with false ceiling

Front heights to MLP about 14 feet
Top Middle to MLP about 7.5 feet (pointed to MLP)
Potential Top rear or Rear height would be about 7.5 feet from MLP (marked in red)

Distance between speakers
Front heights to Top Middle about 10 feet
Top Middle to Potential Rears about 5 feet

View attachment 66319
A simple way ,Move your couch a little front side ,so that the Top middle is directly above your MLP. Then put a rear heights ( svs ellevation ) on the wall ,so you get more coverage.

A simple way ,Move your couch a little front side ,so that the Top middle is directly above your MLP. Then put a rear heights ( svs ellevation ) on the wall ,so you get more coverage.
Yes I had been planning to move couch little forward (about a feet) :)

I can move the SVS prime elevation to rear as rear heights

Do you recommend adding Top Fronts (or have in ceiling baffle pointed to MLP and configured as front height) then to strike 7.2.6 config?

Hi Ankit,
+1 to moving it a little ahead, but I'd say up to three feet is doable. Looking at the room from the posted pic, and screen size, you will very easily get used to a closer viewing position.
So, IMO, you'd be better served in adjusting seating position vis-a-vis audio more.
This depends a lot on how the SVS sound to you as front heights, considering you would already have an idea of them being directly above the Front L-Rs.
Do you recommend adding Top Fronts (or have in ceiling baffle pointed to MLP and configured as front height) then to strike 7.2.6 config?
So, if you like how the SVS sound in their current position, I'd suggest move then to rear heights, and add ceiling top fronts - that is where you have enough real estate to play around with (from pic)

Should you want to try this, you may also want to, if at all possible, bring the rear dipoles a bit lower for two reasons: 1. There won't be much clashing and muddling with the SVS rear heights, and 2. Since you are planning to move LP a little forward anyway, they will sound better at ear level.

PS: A big off-topic question: Doesn't the 7012 support Auro 3D? It could open up a different set of possibilities with the TW :D

If u like the current front heights ,let it remain as it is . If not add Top front inceiling speakers with aimable tweeters to point to MLP.
The same for rear heights too.
Also I feel your surrounds are little bit higher .Lower it down ( approx 1 feet down ) to have better seperation .

Hi Ankit,
+1 to moving it a little ahead, but I'd say up to three feet is doable. Looking at the room from the posted pic, and screen size, you will very easily get used to a closer viewing position.
So, IMO, you'd be better served in adjusting seating position vis-a-vis audio more.
Hi :) , I think I can get about a feet closer for sure .. more than that there are few problems like I shall be little out of alignment with surrounds and its not possible to move my surrounds because on the other side of couch I have a Wardrobe. Have mounted Right Surround somehow on door of a smaller overhead wardrobe. Secondly, I will have to tow in fronts a lot if I move more forward and when I trued that in past, I lost the wideness of the sound.
So, if you like how the SVS sound in their current position, I'd suggest move then to rear heights, and add ceiling top fronts - that is where you have enough real estate to play around with (from pic)

Should you want to try this, you may also want to, if at all possible, bring the rear dipoles a bit lower for two reasons: 1. There won't be much clashing and muddling with the SVS rear heights, and 2. Since you are planning to move LP a little forward anyway, they will sound better at ear level.

If u like the current front heights ,let it remain as it is . If not add Top front inceiling speakers with aimable tweeters to point to MLP.
The same for rear heights too.
Also I feel your surrounds are little bit higher .Lower it down ( approx 1 feet down ) to have better seperation .

Thats exactly my idea has been in first post that I move SVS as rear height (I might need a mount to get even better aiming) and then add a pair of Polk RC 80i as front tops (amiable tweeter). This was all almost channels are optimally closer to MLP.

I wish I had choice to bring down the surrounds a bit, One side I have bed and other side a wardrobe. Though, the benefit of bipoles is I get decent directional sounds and very good diffused surround.

PS: A big off-topic question: Doesn't the 7012 support Auro 3D? It could open up a different set of possibilities with the TW :D
ah on the Auro 3D, yes 7012 has the option. It consumes Top Middle if I want to try it.
So far whenever I tried that, I probably did not have suitable content to get impressed. :D

Get the Wharfedale EVO 4.2 3-Way Standmount Speakers at a Special Offer Price.
Back