Upscaling - Is it worth ?

Naveen_Reloaded

Hi all

I am plannign to get onkyo s 3200 , recently i have been seeing , reading about upscaling .. and S3200 has only HDMI pass through.

I watch more DishTv , CAble , so does upscaling really help in better quality of these inputs ? i mean ca 480i been upscaled to 1080 / 720 p ? and does it look better ?

my budget is around 30K and onkyo S3200 perfectly fits , but since i am now into upscaling thought , can anyone suggest me / advice on this issue...

Upscaling a good quality DVD msy be worth it, but if you are talking about SD content dished out by our cable wallahs and DTHs, I don't think it is worth. I have a 32" HDReady LCD and BigTV DTH pictures look damn good on it, I do have an upscaling DVDP which churns out stunning quality. Upscaled SD images may not be better than the original, especially if original content is of low quality (cable/DTH).

I suggest (relative to your budget) that you go for the HTIB you like without bothering about upscaling. When you have budget, buy a DVDP like Pio610 or BDP and connect the video directly to the TV. You can always route the audio to the AVR.

The only upscaling/upconverting I really enjoy and can recommend is the one by Oppo line of DVDPs. They do a wonderful job with SD DVDs. For TV content unfortunately just about everything sucks but of course I've not used a high end AVR with a great upscaling chip either but those are definitely not in the said budget of 30K.

Upscaling may not worth is many ways-

ie.Generally the source(DVDp/BDP) can upscale much better than others(think of making ideal connections DVDp> AVR> TV)

One thing where its most needed is DTH/Cable TV.If TV scales better,then really no need.Save money & spend on source.

thnks for reply guys ...

but i cant understand... leave out the DVD upscaling , i dont use much DVD .. and i have PS3 , i think it does upscale....

i am bothered about my local cable / Zee DishTv ( not HD ) , coz at present they are linked directly and they dont look good , so if i pass through a AVR which has upscaling , will it look better ?

if so can anyone suggest a good AVR + 5.1 around 30-35 k ...

thnks for reply guys ...

but i cant understand... leave out the DVD upscaling , i dont use much DVD .. and i have PS3 , i think it does upscale....

i am bothered about my local cable / Zee DishTv ( not HD ) , coz at present they are linked directly and they dont look good , so if i pass through a AVR which has upscaling , will it look better ?

if so can anyone suggest a good AVR + 5.1 around 30-35 k ...

Yes PS3 upscales better.
Dishtv will lookk good in 2 way.

1.If tv upscales better(like sonyw550/V550 series) no need of AVR doing it.
2.In your case if you cant enjoy Dish,you really need better scaler like in new Denon 1910.

just a casual query.

is blu ray and an upscaled dvd have a heaven and hell difference in picture quality or is it just minimal?

just a casual query.

is blu ray and an upscaled dvd have a heaven and hell difference in picture quality or is it just minimal?

It is indeed a huge difference, no way is it minimal. Once you watch HD you cannot go back to SD.

Yes PS3 upscales better.
Dishtv will lookk good in 2 way.

1.If tv upscales better(like sonyw550/V550 series) no need of AVR doing it.
2.In your case if you cant enjoy Dish,you really need better scaler like in new Denon 1910.

can i cover 5.1 + AVR within 30-35 K ? how much is denon 1910 ?

Last edited:
can i cover 5.1 + AVR within 30-35 K ? how much is denon 1910 ?

You need to take a call on your budget. ~30k, your options will be the HTIBs from Onkyo/Yamaha/HK only which will not have upscaling. Also, you need to worry about the power bill, if you watch hours of TV everyday routed thru your AVR (for upscaling). An AVR consumes about half an Unit of power per hour.

If you really want to go for an upscaling AVR, up your budget ~45k, buy an AVR and 2.0 speakers for now.

I understand you wish to get the best out of your budget, and we would definitely help in acheiving it. At the same time, your options will not change (from HTIB to upscaling AVR+5.1) by repeating the same question.

If you watch lots of TV, another option worth considering is to get a DTH connection like BigTV. Their video quality is among the best (if not the best) in Indian DTH providers and their STB has component output for video.

You need to take a call on your budget. ~30k, your options will be the HTIBs from Onkyo/Yamaha/HK only which will not have upscaling. Also, you need to worry about the power bill, if you watch hours of TV everyday routed thru your AVR (for upscaling). An AVR consumes about half an Unit of power per hour.

If you really want to go for an upscaling AVR, up your budget ~45k, buy an AVR and 2.0 speakers for now.

I understand you wish to get the best out of your budget, and we would definitely help in acheiving it. At the same time, your options will not change (from HTIB to upscaling AVR+5.1) by repeating the same question.

If you watch lots of TV, another option worth considering is to get a DTH connection like BigTV. Their video quality is among the best (if not the best) in Indian DTH providers and their STB has component output for video.

Sorry SK ,

as you said i just want the best out of my budget..

about expanding my budget , i have to ask my mom .. persuade her... but i dont think i can..

i think i should stick with onkyo s3200 or something of that range then...

thnks SK for helping me out.... :)

why is Theitdepot - Logitech Z-5500 Digital Speakers cost around 25 k ?

also SK can u tell me the products and price at he range from 25-35K ?

or do u have anysite for the price..?

Last edited:
You could look at upscaling in the following levels

1. Content - Do we get content in HD or even SD quality is a questionmark? Even if you go the Tata Sky or any other DTH, the content is of lower grade than DVD (SD quality). So upscalers will help but may not give the same effect as upscaling DVD
2. Source - Upscaling DVD's can be purchased but since you want primarily for TV watching not useful
3. AVR - Upscaling AVRs are expensive, however, you could look at a second hand AVR rather than a new one as those might fall in your price range
4. TV - The most downplayed item. All Displays have upscaler, the quality of which will vary depending upon the price.

You do not need multiple levels of upscaling, so save money by choosing one level.

If you are using normal cable upgrading to digital will help due to a stronger signal. Upgrading from a digital cable provider to DTH will help even more.
Check out of the setup box of the cable provider allows for component output as that will help the picture quality. For example, Tata Sky gives composite cable output will Tata Sky+, I believe gives component. This will give better signal quality which you can connect even directly to the TV to get better quality.

Order your Rega Turntables & Amplifiers from HiFiMART.com - India's reputed online dealer.
Back