Urgent Blu ray Help required:

hey Sumit, let me repeat myself, you really should check out the Samsung BD-P2500. Reviews seem to suggest the blu-ray performance is comparable to the BD60, while the DVD upscaling is superior. It's available for 299 USD on amazon, 249 at best buy, decodes all HD audio formats (including DTS-MA by way of a firmware upgrade) onboard, and has 7.1 analog outputs. I think it's the best deal out there among the BD players.

Yes, you are correct. But, BD 55 is not available anymore.

hey Sumit, let me repeat myself, you really should check out the Samsung BD-P2500. Reviews seem to suggest the blu-ray performance is comparable to the BD60, while the DVD upscaling is superior. It's available for 299 USD on amazon, 249 at best buy, decodes all HD audio formats (including DTS-MA by way of a firmware upgrade) onboard, and has 7.1 analog outputs. I think it's the best deal out there among the BD players.

The samsung model in discussion doesn't have a mod kit for multi region modification so this player, however good it is would be useless in India.
Take a look at this webpage and you will get the idea of the models which are modable for multiregion.
Bluraymods.com - Mod Kits
They also happen to have a UK mainland distributer so you could get in touch with them either for a modded player or a mod kit. http://www.bluraymods.com/distributors.asp

Last edited:
Guys!!

I am unable to find region-free mods for BD 80 or Sony S550. Mods for DVD multi region playback is available vide universal remote but NOT for BLU RAY.
Any, help in this regard shall be appreciated.

I have shorlisted BD 80 and S550 for now. But, I shall not buy without a region free confirmation.

sumit.

are you looking for a region-free player or a player that will work in india?

you may take a couple of discs with you when you go to the store. In middle east its region 2 (just as W.Europe), but they have no problem playing region 5 (India, E.Europe) discs. May be its the same for BD (i have not verified it yet).

are there no hacks for BD players like there are for DVD players? are hardware mods essential? I was reading that the BD83 has a region hack.

The samsung model in discussion doesn't have a mod kit for multi region modification so this player, however good it is would be useless in India.
Take a look at this webpage and you will get the idea of the models which are modable for multiregion.
Bluraymods.com - Mod Kits
They also happen to have a UK mainland distributer so you could get in touch with them either for a modded player or a mod kit. Bluraymods.com - Distributors

are there no hacks for BD players like there are for DVD players? are hardware mods essential? I was reading that the BD83 has a region hack.

There are hacks like DVDs and like BDP83 for Blu ray players too but they are mostly meant to make the DVD portion of the player multiregion whereas the BD part is not hackable in any of the players except panasonic and pioneer but only for one region i.e mostly region A or B but not C since exceptions are always there so the Oppo player is hackable to the extent that both its DVD and BD are made multiregion with a software hack.
Since all of us know that BD need Java Platform to play the contents on our players and Java needs contineous updates once in a while as the New BD titles are realeased with the newer versions of the Java so a player with an old Java software won't be able to play that disk until and unless we upgarde the firware of the player and as soon as we upgrade the player we loose all the multiregion hacks we have applied to the player, this is the main region that PS3 is still unhackable.
To overcome this problem there are hardware mods avaliable which makes a particular player multiregion independent of the firmware updates and the easiest one to mod is the Oppo which is without any soldering, since I alreay own an Oppo BDP83 and I also happen to have the mode kit with me which I have installed with ease.look here http://www.hifivision.com/dvd-playe...s/2945-oppo-bdp-83-bluray-disc-player-11.html

Last edited:
are you looking for a region-free player or a player that will work in india?

you may take a couple of discs with you when you go to the store. In middle east its region 2 (just as W.Europe), but they have no problem playing region 5 (India, E.Europe) discs. May be its the same for BD (i have not verified it yet).

I am looking for a region-free player with a 7.1 channel analogue out.

Ashish, you are right about hardware mods for BR playback. Unfortunately, the websites mentioned by you have harware mods that require soldering.although, I have a steady pair of hands, I am not too sure if I would be willing to solder a new BR player!!! Oppo, that you own, did you do a hardware mod? I remember that you told me that you bought it from 20north. In this case,what is the voltage rating of your player.
Actually, oppo could be a great buy for me as it has a 7.1ch analogue out too.

As of now, I am too confused. One thing is for sure, I am not going to make any hasty decisions. been there, done that and have paid a hefty price for the same. Hence, I aint repeating mistakes for sure.

Guys, keep pouring inputs. I am here till 24th. And, thank you all for your suggestions.

sumit.

I am looking for a region-free player with a 7.1 channel analogue out.

Ashish, you are right about hardware mods for BR playback. Unfortunately, the websites mentioned by you have harware mods that require soldering.although, I have a steady pair of hands, I am not too sure if I would be willing to solder a new BR player!!! Oppo, that you own, did you do a hardware mod? I remember that you told me that you bought it from 20north. In this case,what is the voltage rating of your player.
Actually, oppo could be a great buy for me as it has a 7.1ch analogue out too.

As of now, I am too confused. One thing is for sure, I am not going to make any hasty decisions. been there, done that and have paid a hefty price for the same. Hence, I aint repeating mistakes for sure.

Guys, keep pouring inputs. I am here till 24th. And, thank you all for your suggestions.

sumit.

Yes I did the hardware mod on the oppo myself its just a piece of cake if you are comfortable opening the top cover of the player. Oppos are multivoltage i.e they work from 110v-250v that too automatic so that was also one reason for me to go with oppo but its also slightly expensive.
If you are comfortable with soldering then you could also go with Panasonic Bd80, and the solderings part requires you to solder 5 wires on to a IC on the main board of the panasonic which should not be difficult task for the engineer you told me about.The soldering is easier then modding Wii or Xbox for instance and I got them done by a guy in palika bazaar as he has a steady pair of hand for doing these kind of modification. I can vouch for him.Here is the link to the page which shows how to fit the mod kit onto Panasonic BD80 or 60 its same for the both :http://www.avforums.com/forums/blu-...nic-bd60-bd80-blu-ray-player-multiregion.html
and here is the link to the oppo modification page : http://www.avforums.com/forums/atta...bdp-83-region-free-thread-region-doc-v4.0.pdf

Last edited:
Yes I did the hardware mod on the oppo myself its just a piece of cake if you are comfortable opening the top cover of the player. Oppos are multivoltage i.e they work from 110v-250v that too automatic so that was also one reason for me to go with oppo but its also slightly expensive.
If you are comfortable with soldering then you could also go with Panasonic Bd80, and the solderings part requires you to solder 5 wires on to a IC on the main board of the panasonic which should not be difficult task for the engineer you told me about.The soldering is easier then modding Wii or Xbox for instance and I got them done by a guy in palika bazaar as he has a steady pair of hand for doing these kind of modification. I can vouch for him.Here is the link to the page which shows how to fit the mod kit onto Panasonic BD80 or 60 its same for the both :How to make your Panasonic BD60 or BD80 Blu-ray Player Multiregion - AVForums.com
and here is the link to the oppo modification page : http://www.avforums.com/forums/atta...bdp-83-region-free-thread-region-doc-v4.0.pdf

Ashish, I did check the tutorial for BD 80. I must say that it is not straightforward. But, it is not complicated either. There is definitely a risk involved if you mess up with the soldering iron.

I think buying an oppo is much better bet. as you said, it does involve any soldering. I shall try an arrange one from US.

You see it has a 7.1ch analogue out and it can be made region free with ease. Fits my criteria like a glove.

What do you think?

Sumit

Ashish, I did check the tutorial for BD 80. I must say that it is not straightforward. But, it is not complicated either. There is definitely a risk involved if you mess up with the soldering iron.

I think buying an oppo is much better bet. as you said, it does involve any soldering. I shall try an arrange one from US.

You see it has a 7.1ch analogue out and it can be made region free with ease. Fits my criteria like a glove.

What do you think?

Sumit

If you can afford it then there is nothing better than this at present and for this price. Mind you that you have to spend another 7K for the multiregion kit for the same in the mean time you could use it with the software mod to make it multiregion for both DVD and BD.

If you can afford it then there is nothing better than this at present and for this price. Mind you that you have to spend another 7K for the multiregion kit for the same in the mean time you could use it with the software mod to make it multiregion for both DVD and BD.

why do I need to spend 7k for multiregion kit when software mod for BR and DVD is available?

why do I need to spend 7k for multiregion kit when software mod for BR and DVD is available?

The soft mod we are discussing about is an unofficial software and whenever you would need an update for the player this software mod would be wiped out and you will have to wait for somebody to hack the software and release it again to use your player. And if there is no soft mod avaliable then your player would become useless with the region restrictions.
You can contridict on this one that you wouldn't update your player but as I have already pointed out that without the future updates your player might not be able to play newer BD titles because of the newer Java software.
The best way to overcome this is the hard mod which is independent of any firmware updates.As of now you can buy the player without the Hardware mod and use the soft mod till the time has come when you are ready to spend on the hard mod.

Purchase the Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amplifier at a special offer price.
Back