Urgent Blu ray Help required:

Sumit

Hi!!

I am in UK and I plan to bring a multi-region BR player back home.
I might get mods here to make my player multi-region.

My AVR Marantz SR5001 does not support lossless audio. Hence, I am looking for BR player which can do the decoding on board i.e. have a 7.1 channel analogue out.

Please suggest me players on criteria mentioned above.

Thanks.

Hi!!

My AVR Marantz SR5001 does not support lossless audio. Hence, I am looking for BR player which can do the decoding on board i.e. have a 7.1 channel analogue out.

Thanks.

Panasonic BD55 or Sony BDP S550 are good choices and popular with buyers overall

As Marsilians mentioned Panasonic seems to be ruling the market now. Unfortunately, only their BD80 supports 7.1 analogue out. The Sony BDP S550 does support 7.1 analogue out.

Why don't you take a look at Oppo BD83 if it is available in the UK?

Cheers

Last edited:
The Samsung BD-P2500, with a HQV Reon chip, it outputs 7.1 analog out, and does a bang-up job of upscaling (only a hair short of the Oppo 983 as per CNET), and the blu-ray quality is as good as the Panasonics and the Sonys. Overall a good deal as far as I can see from reviews.

Hi!!

Thanks.

If your AVR has HDMI input, you may also consider PS3 which does onboard decoding but the LPCM output is only through HDMI

Go in for Panasonic Model BDP80 as it has 7.1 analog output to be used with your amp, and its also easily modable for multiregion for all the region for BD as well as DVD's, don't buy sony as they are very difficult to mod.

As Marsilians mentioned Panasonic seems to be ruling the market now. Unfortunately, only their BD80 supports 7.1 analogue out. The Sony BDP S550 does support 7.1 analogue out.

Why don't you take a look at Oppo BD83 if it is available in the UK?

Cheers

The BD55 support 7.1 analogue. Thats the reason I suggested over the 35. Otherwise the players are pretty much the same.

Sumit do check out pioneer 320 model which is geting very good reviews but then also check out for its multi region upgrade kit and if the same exists then look at it. Its avaliable for around 300 Pounds

Hey Guys!!

Thanks a lot for your input. I shall look into the suugestions and see what is available.

At the same time, I am looking at prices at 20north. Maybe I find it cheaper there. Also, I think with BD players the voltage range will variable i.e. from 100V-240V. Lets see.

How do you mod the panasonic or sony?

Sumit

Hi!!

Thanks.

I had done some research while purchasing Blu Ray player for myself (Marantz BD 7003), came across Marantz BD8002 Blu-Ray Player too...

Marantz BD8002 Blu-Ray Player...

Specifications and features include:

HDMI Version 1.3 output (Deep Color, HD audio bit-stream support
High precision mechanism
Plays Blu-Ray Discs, DVD-Video, DVD-R/RW, CD, CD-R/RW, MP-3, WMA, Divx, JPEG discs
SD Card slot for playback MP3/WMA/JPEG
24fps output via HDMI
Lip sync. control
High Resolution Audio Codec Decoding via analog outputs
Fine video adjustments
Customizable start-up screen
7.1 ch analog output (RCA)
Stereo analog output (RCA)
Dual component outputs (BNC & RCA)
Digital audio outputs (coaxial, optical)
Multiple layer chassis
1080p, 1080i, 720p, 480p scaled output
10 bit Silicon Optix Realta HQV video processor
192 kHz/24 bit audio D/A converter
216 MHz/14 bit video D/A converter
Built-in 10 bit progressive scan (w/3:2 pull-down)
Simultaneous live video outputs
Dolby Digital/DTS decoder
Video/Digital circuit off mode
Gamma correction adjustment
Discrete power of/off commands
RS-232C terminal for system control
Direct IR input
S-Video & Component outputs
Wireless remote

Last edited:
Guys!!

I am unable to find region-free mods for BD 80 or Sony S550. Mods for DVD multi region playback is available vide universal remote but NOT for BLU RAY.
Any, help in this regard shall be appreciated.

I have shorlisted BD 80 and S550 for now. But, I shall not buy without a region free confirmation.

sumit.

Guys!!

I am unable to find region-free mods for BD 80 or Sony S550. Mods for DVD multi region playback is available vide universal remote but NOT for BLU RAY.
Any, help in this regard shall be appreciated.
I have shorlisted BD 80 and S550 for now. But, I shall not buy without a region free confirmation.

sumit.

BD80 mods are avaliable online try googling and you will find them whereas it's easier for panasonic model to mod with less soldering and multiple region capabilities whereas if you go in for the Sony players which are really difficult to mod as you have to install a region chip for every region you want to enable so in this case if you end up buying a Sony from UK then it would be region B so you would have to search for a region C chip for India which as of now is not avaliable since India doesn't have the proper blu Ray penetration.

There is no significant differences as the 60 or 80 model just add the video on demand functionality which is useless in the Indian context. Therefore its a better VFM to get the 55.

Yes, you are correct. But, BD 55 is not available anymore.

Purchase the Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amplifier at a special offer price.
Back