Urgent : Has anyone imported any AV gear in last 1 week

Oh. It’s 10000? I thought it was 5000 per day for as many days it’s held

I think paying the duty is probably the best option.

I had an issue where the bill was not clearly displayed, hence the customs officer randomly put a value for the goods and charged exorbitant rate. Didnt have any option but pay it.

I just checked with my CHA. He says the ~77% rate is correct. He says even if you have an IEC - the lesser rate of duty is applicable only if the IEC is on a company name. If you have a personal IEC, the rate will still be around 77%.

The hs code 98049000 is for goods classified as others and intended for personal use.

I may be wrong but the item seems to be misclassified. It should be classified under music or entertainment.

The hs code 98049000 is for goods classified as others and intended for personal use.

I may be wrong but the item seems to be misclassified. It should be classified under music or entertainment.
This is the right HS code, DHL is using this code in my case.

I just checked with my CHA. He says the ~77% rate is correct. He says even if you have an IEC - the lesser rate of duty is applicable only if the IEC is on a company name. If you have a personal IEC, the rate will still be around 77%.
Probably right. Even if I get the IEC, I would need GSTIN as well and thats another challenge. By the the time get both, Bill of Entry will be delayed. The best option is if I could return the goods or pay the duty. I cant think of any other way. Even checked with other CHAs, they refused to take over from DHL.

Probably right. Even if I get the IEC, I would need GSTIN as well and thats another challenge. By the the time get both, Bill of Entry will be delayed. The best option is if I could return the goods or pay the duty. I cant think of any other way. Even checked with other CHAs, they refused to take over from DHL.

You don't need GSTIN. Your item is likely under courier mode, which does not have the Late filing charges. Where is the item currently?

You don't need GSTIN. Your item is likely under courier mode, which does not have the Late filing charges. Where is the item currently?
Yes it is under courier mode. The dhl email says that late filing of BOE has repercussions. 5k for first 3 days and then 10k after that. I have asked dhl to clarify, it only IEC would suffice.

Yes it is under courier mode. The dhl email says that late filing of BOE has repercussions. 5k for first 3 days and then 10k after that. I have asked dhl to clarify, it only IEC would suffice.
Yes there is definite penalty of 5k plus for day after a couple of days with IEC. I import a lot of pharma chemicals for my company and many times the supplier forgets to include, insurance copies or some other document during which time my C&FA cannot process the BE and net result I end up paying 15-20k extra as fines for 2-3 days delay - of course the import value is huge usually in USD $50k plus so no major impact to my final landed cost. Try to avoid any delay in processing - better to pay the duty - else the fines will make a huge impact in final import duty for lower value items. And believe me - it is pointless arguing with customs - they win most of the times.
Cheers,
Sid

Last edited:
Guys, I have not much knowledge or experience of the subject. But out of curiosity, I am wondering what’s the logic of applying GST on imports? The value addition hasn’t happened in the country at all and already the BCD (basic customs duty) and CVD (countervailing duty) have been levelled to ensure parity for domestic producers. Or am I missing something?

Sachin AFAIK, they used to charge the applicable Sales Tax and any other applicable taxes of the state earlier. This tax has now been replaced by GST

Guys, I have not much knowledge or experience of the subject. But out of curiosity, I am wondering what’s the logic of applying GST on imports? The value addition hasn’t happened in the country at all and already the BCD (basic customs duty) and CVD (countervailing duty) have been levelled to ensure parity for domestic producers. Or am I missing something?
For businesses that perform value addition on the imports they pay only 8-10% duty. Upfront 26% is collected on invoice value, but rest can be availed as input tax credit for while filing GST.
Cheers,
Sid

I got the IEC today and shared with DHL. Lets see if that makes any difference today. As per DHL yesterday, it would made a difference.

It usually does as the second and fourth Saturday of the month are holidays...
Thats right, as confirmed by DHL also. I might have to travel to custom clearing house, may be tomorrow on Monday the 9th if things are not sorted till then. Any one wants to accompany me ? :)

Follow HiFiMART on Instagram for offers, deals and FREE giveaways!
Back