Urgent : Has anyone imported any AV gear in last 1 week

It's to curb the unfair practices , the govt. has increased customs duties and asked most of the Chinese companies to include customs duties in the actual prices to stop evasion of customs... We only have ourselves to blame...
So, you're saying the government asks Chinese companies to include Indian customs duty as part of their price when selling to Indian customers? And the Chinese companies kowtow and comply? And what do the Customs guys here do? Charge no duty because the Chinese companies have already charged it; and then the government recovers the difference between the actual cost and inflated cost from the Chinese companies? The more I think about it, the more it seems like a nightmare for the poor Customs guys! o_O

Some of the Chinese website like Shein and a couple of more have been told to include the customs duty in the invoice and the same is deposited with the Indian customs. I would assume they would comply as the govt. had banned one Chinese website who were shipping loads of products as gifts.. So if they have to continue to sell to India, they have to comply... Aliexpress has not done it so far but I would assume they would start soon if they want the Indian revenues...

Some of the Chinese website like Shein and a couple of more have been told to include the customs duty in the invoice and the same is deposited with the Indian customs. I would assume they would comply as the govt. had banned one Chinese website who were shipping loads of products as gifts.. So if they have to continue to sell to India, they have to comply... Aliexpress has not done it so far but I would assume they would start soon if they want the Indian revenues...
Shein and the like very clearly state that they have no control over local Customs charges and the onus of paying these charges is on the customer. They do not include these in the selling price. But, yes; they and us used to misuse the "gift" route. Not any more! Good!

Hi members,

Sorry for interrupting in between the discussion. Has anyone tried importing speakers from US/Canada to India? I am getting Klipsch r51m below 15K in US/Canada but here in India, its price is 30K.
So, i wanted to know, if there is any freight handling agency which will courier the speakers? I am not sure about how much customs duty it will attract.
Please suggest.

Hi members,

Sorry for interrupting in between the discussion. Has anyone tried importing speakers from US/Canada to India? I am getting Klipsch r51m below 15K in US/Canada but here in India, its price is 30K.
So, i wanted to know, if there is any freight handling agency which will courier the speakers? I am not sure about how much customs duty it will attract.
Please suggest.
My advice would be better buy in India. After paying the freight, insurance and duty, it might cost more than 30K.

The costing to the end consumer/dealer by the importer is done taking into account the input credit receivable. At least that is the way it SHOULD be done and that is the way I do it. Most do not and therein lies the problem.
The GST input credit concept is somewhat flawed because they collect upfront. What if the goods are not sold for an extended amount of time? To my knowledge, there is no interest paid by the government on the amount that is pre-collected by them. There is a provision to encash the credit but I confess, that I have not delved deep into that part. Typically one should pay a tax when a sale is made. I understand where the government is coming from when they decided to implement this but it is unfair and penalizes honest tax payers along with the dishonest (majority?).
agreed. this is a "hidden"cost that no one considers. it eats up a huge amount of working capital / administrative burden for a business.

Imported a PC cabinet for personal use. No IEC. Shipment done through Aramex. No hassles. Duty amount at just over 40%. Copy of the bill of entry shared. Service charge of Rs300 + GST. Overall a good experience so far. Only problem is no option to pay duty online. Delivery due tomorrow.

Imported a PC cabinet for personal use. No IEC. Shipment done through Aramex. No hassles. Duty amount at just over 40%. Copy of the bill of entry shared. Service charge of Rs300 + GST. Overall a good experience so far. Only problem is no option to pay duty online. Delivery due tomorrow.
Lucky you.

DHL still saying my IEC is not reflecting in some "customs courier" system. It's not same as icegate and dgft sites.

Reported the matter to DHL higher ups, same reply came. Does anyone know where else IEC should show up apart from dfgt and icegate? Do we have any way to check that?

Dear FMs

Finally the 12 days long ordeal ended with a very pleasant Monday morning with delivery of the parcel from DHL. In the end, all went fine.

I am very grateful to all of you who contributed in this thread in anyway and tried to help me, thats much appreciated. Not only online, many FMs tried their best offline as well to get me out of this mess. Love you guys.

Dear FMs

Finally the 12 days long ordeal ended with a very pleasant Monday morning with delivery of the parcel from DHL. In the end, all went fine.

I am very grateful to all of you who contributed in this thread in anyway and tried to help me, thats much appreciated. Not only online, many FMs tried their best offline as well to get me out of this mess. Love you guys.
I can imagine the torture you went through. I've had issues with the customs holding my LP/CD packages for 3 months at a stretch even though I was ready to pay the amount. I was actually considering importing a pair of speakers (Dynavoice Challenger bookshelves which cost just 20k abroad,cost 54k here), but after looking at your ordeal I've decided to give up on that idea and wait till I have someone coming from abroad instead. P:S - finally how much customs did you end up paying finally?

Now, if you could summarize the do's & dont's, what worked & not worked, it will be very useful to others.

Did getting the IEC helped in this case?
did you end up paying any extra charges for the delay in clearing? etc..

Dear FMs

Now time to set it up, start it & immerse your self in music.:)

I faced every possible problem that could have happened, sadly. I ended up paying 27.73% duty, Rs 500 as bonded warehouse charges for the delay , Rs 27 interest on that. Rest everything is legitimate. 2.5 % of duty amount as DHL's fee for paying upfront duty on my behalf + GST on that and Rs 2600 as clearing charges that is all.

In the end getting IEC was the only thing that worked for me, even though that is clearly not required for people like us. But I'll cover all these things in a dedicated thread on what to do what not to do and what all is required.

I faced every possible problem that could have happened, sadly. I ended up paying 27.73% duty, Rs 500 as bonded warehouse charges for the delay , Rs 27 interest on that. Rest everything is legitimate. 2.5 % of duty amount as DHL's fee for paying upfront duty on my behalf + GST on that and Rs 2600 as clearing charges that is all.

In the end getting IEC was the only thing that worked for me, even though that is clearly not required for people like us. But I'll cover all these things in a dedicated thread on what to do what not to do and what all is required.
@Vivek Batra - Is that the total amount of duty you paid? 27%? And did you need a GST code when you used your IEC?

Purchase the Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amplifier at a special offer price.
Back