Urgent help on Bi amping and Bi wiring

arnprasad

Hi All,

Came to US for couple of days for a meeting and picked up Polk Audio Rti4 speakers for 150 bucks and CS10 center for 100 bucks from Amazon. Havent opened the original packing..so hoping on my way back..they dont get damaged.

When I read the Rti4 manual it talks about Bi-amping and Bi-wiring. Please help me out if this is necessary and will improve the listening experience.

I have Pioneer 1020K Receiver and also bought RCA AH16100SN 16-Gauge Speaker Wire (100 Feet)

I would appreciate if few of you could Private Message me so that I can call you on Sunday and you guys can give me some gyan on this

Just want to make sure that my existing components supports this featuer and by doing it and I am not frying any of the components.

Thanks in advance for all your help!:clapping:

Correct. In fact, bi-amping is also useful only when used along with active external crossovers (and I have seen some question even that). 'Regular' bi-amping does nothing at all, and neither does bi-wiring.

bi amping definitely works as a technique but more in high end systems. in any case you will need 2 amps to bi amp, which you dont currently have. i havent personally tried bi-wiring. whats is a very effective technique is to take out the brass connectors that come between the terminals for the speakers and connect them with speaker wire. it makes an audible difference

Pioneer 1020K Receiver is capable enough in terms of power and will handle all of these speakers just fine.

bi-wiring is useful only if you are using cables of a higher than recommended gauge (smaller diameter hence higher resistance). Using 2 cables brings it down to recommended level.

passive bi-amping - connect 2 amplifiers to 2 parts of a speaker, one to drive higher frequencies and one to drive lower frequencies. Cross-overs built into the speakers are used. This results in higher frequency amplifier being subjected a much lower stress and will sound better. A higher quality amplifier is capable of handling both lower and higher frequencies quite well and obviates the need for bi-amping. Since passive crossover is used, a less then ideal behavior of the crossover will be retained. This setup requires one pre-amp and two power-amps. Given your current setup, you'll need to buy all the three; this cost is not justified.

Active bi-amping - one-preamp - connected an active crossover connected to two power-amps connected to speakers after removing passive crossovers. This is far too involved and requires a fair amount of study. Not recommended for someone in a hurry :).

Purchase the Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amplifier at a special offer price.
Back