Urgent Help Reqd : Epson 8350 vs Optoma HD20

I wouldn't touch any av product with known reliability issues with a barge pole.... :) unless until there was a comfortable workaround available.

There's another thing.... as long as placement is not a issue i will never touch a lcd projector.

There is something about the "film" like picture of a DLP projector which a LCD based projector can never match.

Buying the latest technology is always a safe bet. Having said that, its also important that you enjoy the picture that you see. I have seen the 8350 and compared to the UB8500 which i have the picture quality is just about ok. The HD20 is surely vivid and colourful,being a DLP. Some people prefer the sharpness and high contrast ratios of the LCDs, some prefer the wonderful colours and big size provided by the DLP. When i bought my 8500 I chose it over the HD20 and the panny 4000. The choice was easy cos i was able to see all of them in action. Guess i was lucky. But you shud do the same and then decide if you are really interested. :)

Hi Guys,
I am also looking to buy a HD20 for my setup.
could you let me know the dealer in Bangalore you are buying from at these prices?
I also need a contact who can do the cabling and overhead installation at my place.
Thanks in advance....
cheers,

Size - Weight

I think if the projector size is small or big with lesser or more weight should not be a factor, because they are mounted on ceiling. ;)

V.

the fact that the HD20 is really small and light weight, whereas the 8350 is solid and heavy, you take a decision.

I am assuming the projector is on the 12' feet wall.

The distance of projector from screen should be between 11'7" and 13'11". Ideally I would go for 13'11" as this will require no Zoom and gives you a scope to increase screen to 120" in future. Also Image quality is best without using zoom. So I suggest the longer distance.

For height of the projector. The bottom of the image will 8" above the lens of the projector. That means the lens of the projector should be only 12 inches above the floor. This might be a difficult option by itself. On the other hand if celing height is 102", it might be better to ceiling mount. Projector needs to be 20" (bottom of screen) + 54" (height of screen) + 8" = 82" from the floor or 102 - 82 = 20" from the ceiling.

You can check out this page Optoma HD20 Projection Calculator - Throw Distance and Screen Size

Raghav

Hi Raghav / others,

I am also trying to explore the possibility of installing a PJ in my living hall, it was constructed a few years back so I have to keep the room limitations in mind and plan for PJ accordingly.

I had seen HD20 at Raghav's place and I liked it :) but due to its lesser flexibility interms of placement trying to see if I can use this in my room or i need to necessarily look at the LCD projector :sad:

Now my limitations are :

1) I will have to ceiling mount it in the iron angle ( meant for fan) - not sure if there are any ready made PJ mounts that can be hung in those angles meant for fans or i will have to get some alteration done or a custom made PJ mount built

2) As suggested by Raghav above "the distance of projector from screen should be between 11'7" and 13'11" and 13'11" would be better choice" However I will have to place the PJ at the distance of 10.5 - 11 ft - Now it ok? and will it just reduce the image size of the PJ or it impacts the PQ as well if the PJ is mount at the distance other than 11'7" and 13'11" ?

3) I wont be able to ceiling mount the PJ screen, are there any screen mounts available in the market by which we can wall mount the screen from the sides ? ( I don't have option to wall mount the screen on front wall and will have to mount it on the side walls)

Regards,
Naren

1. most probably if you remove the fan angle altogether you can affix the the projector mount on the ceiling itself.

2. Try to work with limitation of Optoma because LCD models are huge and bulky. May not suit your living space. For slight more flexibility yu can look at Mitsubishi. At 11 ft Optoma gives you image of 100" 16:9. This is just one size smaller than my 108" model. PQ is not impacted by reducing of image.

3. I am not aware of any side mounted screens. Never heard of them. But one option that you have is of a fixed screen. This type of screen is affixed to the wall permamently. I think Vinay has one screen of this type.

Also check out the height of the image thrown and whether it corresponds to where you want the screen.

Raghav

Hi Raghav / others,

I am also trying to explore the possibility of installing a PJ in my living hall, it was constructed a few years back so I have to keep the room limitations in mind and plan for PJ accordingly.

I had seen HD20 at Raghav's place and I liked it :) but due to its lesser flexibility interms of placement trying to see if I can use this in my room or i need to necessarily look at the LCD projector :sad:

Now my limitations are :

1) I will have to ceiling mount it in the iron angle ( meant for fan) - not sure if there are any ready made PJ mounts that can be hung in those angles meant for fans or i will have to get some alteration done or a custom made PJ mount built

2) As suggested by Raghav above "the distance of projector from screen should be between 11'7" and 13'11" and 13'11" would be better choice" However I will have to place the PJ at the distance of 10.5 - 11 ft - Now it ok? and will it just reduce the image size of the PJ or it impacts the PQ as well if the PJ is mount at the distance other than 11'7" and 13'11" ?

3) I wont be able to ceiling mount the PJ screen, are there any screen mounts available in the market by which we can wall mount the screen from the sides ? ( I don't have option to wall mount the screen on front wall and will have to mount it on the side walls)

Regards,
Naren

Naren

I have had anchor bolts fixed into my ceiling and then mounted the PJ bracket to it and then fixed my PJ on to it.I personally dont think you need to worry too much about having only a fan mount/ side mounting options etc -you can easily do it this way.

Naren

I have had anchor bolts fixed into my ceiling and then mounted the PJ bracket to it and then fixed my PJ on to it.I personally dont think you need to worry too much about having only a fan mount/ side mounting options etc -you can easily do it this way.

I am curious to know what these anchor bolts are and how they can be fixed in the POP ceiling without damaging it.

If possible can you post picture of anchor bolts fixed in your ceiling ?

Thanks for your help !!!

Regards,
Naren

1. most probably if you remove the fan angle altogether you can affix the the projector mount on the ceiling itself.

If the projector mount can be fixed in the ceiling without damaging the POP ceiling then nothing like it.. but can that really be done ? ;) ( I know yours was as different case you had kaddapa stone in the ceiling where you had to mount the PJ and you also had option of mounting the PJ on rear wall)

2. Try to work with limitation of Optoma because LCD models are huge and bulky. May not suit your living space. For slight more flexibility yu can look at Mitsubishi. At 11 ft Optoma gives you image of 100" 16:9. This is just one size smaller than my 108" model. PQ is not impacted by reducing of image.

I think that definitely makes sense and I am also leaning more towards the DLP ones and I liked the Optoma at your place although Mitsubishi might be little better than Optoma but will be costlier and i am looking for something in the budget of max 1000$.

My front wall is 10 ft wide but I will have to leave some space on both sides for speakers ( assuming i leave 1.5 ft on each side) I will have to have screen which is max 84 inches and for that I will have to mount the PJ at lesser distance than 11 ft ( and as you said the distance doesnt chagne PQ) then in my case not being able to mouth pj at 13'11 is not a limitation any more I think and I should not be worried about this .... correct?

3. I am not aware of any side mounted screens. Never heard of them. But one option that you have is of a fixed screen. This type of screen is affixed to the wall permamently. I think Vinay has one screen of this type.

Also check out the height of the image thrown and whether it corresponds to where you want the screen.

Raghav

Fixed screen is not going to work for me as my CRT or Plasma screen will be behind my PJ screen.

One more question - HD20 is 1080p and costs 950$ while HD65 is 720p and costs 650$.. do you think the PQ difference is good enough to justify premium of 300$ that HD20 commands ?

Thanks for your help...

Regards,
Naren

Welcome to the world of projector.

It is a very wise step to visit forum member to see the projector set up, by this many of your queries would have been handled.

Well there are projector mounts easily available in the market, i have 2 such mounts in my ceiling, you can come and have a look at it. While that is a another story that i am not happy with the mounts available here, but if one puts in better efforts, one may get the correct one in leading mumbai stores, otherwise it is always better to import the mount with projector.

The distance between projector and screen will be determined on factors like the type of projector's flexibility, screen, dynamics of the room, etc, but this is something very easy to arrive at the right conclude. The projector being how much ever far, will not effect the picture quality as long as the picture does not go blur. In general the projectors can throw a image of around 130 inches from about 12/16 feet.

I have mounted the screen and is not visible as there is a pelmet ahead, which has been done very neatly by the carpenter. The screen generally comes with the mounting accessories. The side wall factor i am not able to understand, please provide more details.

V.

Now my limitations are :

Naren

Last edited:
It is any day better to place the projector on a mount made for it's purpose then using a fan mount. While importantly with a mount there are options to reduce and increase the height of projector.

I have said it earlier, and will say it again with pleasure that the projector being bulky or small is no material, after all it has to be mounted on the ceiling. I have 2 projectors on my ceiling small and big, both look classy in their own way, you can visit my place and have a look. I am expecting Raghav, at my place sooner then later, let me see his reaction on my both projectors.

I am having 2 screens, one is a automatic roll down and the other a fixed one made out of fibre.

If you are buying the projector locally then you can ask them to give you a demo so that you can observe the image and other issues but it is always much better to import, this is a great thing which i learnt from the leading members. It will be a bad idea to buy locally for reasons known to many of us.

V.

2. Try to work with limitation of Optoma because LCD models are huge and bulky. May not suit your living space.

Raghav

Image - 1080P - Burial

My small projector is mounted at about 7 feet and it throws a image of about 84 inches.

Please be assured that you can have a screen of 10 feet, do not worry about speakers because most of the movies are in smaller format, gone are the days of larger 4:3 format be it in terms of movie or screen size. In other words when movie format and screen is small it will not obstruct the tower speakers.

I think it is better to go for projector in 1080P provided you do not download movies in 720P and go for only 1080P, and it is important that you give a decent burial in Arabian sea for the DVD or their rips.

Furthermore there is so much of content available for download and now Internet service companies are providing great download speeds especially for movies that too at cheap prices. While it is a another story that there are so many options for media players, as number of threads are floating on the forum which are directly encouraging towards the great and sensible downloading world. I think these are top of the class reasons to go for a projector in 1080P.

V.

My front wall is 10 ft wide but I will have to leave some space on both sides for speakers ( assuming i leave 1.5 ft on each side) I will have to have screen which is max 84 inches and for that I will have to mount the PJ at lesser distance than 11 ft ( and as you said the distance doesnt chagne PQ) then in my case not being able to mouth pj at 13'11 is not a limitation any more I think and I should not be worried about this .... correct?

One more question - HD20 is 1080p and costs 950$ while HD65 is 720p and costs 650$.. do you think the PQ difference is good enough to justify premium of 300$ that HD20 commands ?
Naren

Last edited:
Re: Image - 1080P - Burial

I think it is better to go for projector in 1080P provided you do not download movies in 720P and go for only 1080P, and it is important that you give a decent burial in Arabian sea for the DVD or their rips.

V.

What a blunt statement:eek:hyeah:

There is no way to bury the DVD's except you don't watch the movie once again or already it was released in BD, Since most of the old movies is not going to be released in Bluray DVD and it has to be seen only in DVD format. Wise decision is to buy an AVR which will upscale the DVD's to decent quality or let the PJ upscale it.:cool:

Indeed you are right, where a content is available in DVDs and is not available in blue ray and related, then there is no choice but to go for the DVDs. The upscale is a good idea.

On the other hand there are several movies which are not available for download in blue rips but are available in blue ray disc or DVD's, in such a situation i do not care for the simple reason that there is so much of content available to watch in blue rips.

The point is that people still go extensively for DVD when blue ray or their rips are easily available.

V.

Last edited:
Naren

My celing is not POP, it is an RCC slab. I got someone to come with a masonry bit and drill the celing and then the fixed the anchor bolt

Naren

My celing is not POP, it is an RCC slab. I got someone to come with a masonry bit and drill the celing and then the fixed the anchor bolt

Thanks for your reply George... I googled yesterday to know what are anchor bolts and could see a picture.. I think my dad had got similar one used for the additional fan we needed and it was done at the time when the POP ceiling was done.

I think probably anchor bolts can be used even now with the POP ceiling but this will have to be done very carefully else can damage the POP ceiling.. that is why i was thinking of hanging the projector stand in the fan angle / hook itself !!

Regards,
Naren

The false ceiling can have a hole into it very carefully and you can install PJ anywhere on the ceiling. Even my motorised screen was installed after the false ceiling was done.

They made a slight alteration in one day with minimum cost.

Raghav

Thanks for your reply George... I googled yesterday to know what are anchor bolts and could see a picture.. I think my dad had got similar one used for the additional fan we needed and it was done at the time when the POP ceiling was done.

I think probably anchor bolts can be used even now with the POP ceiling but this will have to be done very carefully else can damage the POP ceiling.. that is why i was thinking of hanging the projector stand in the fan angle / hook itself !!

Regards,
Naren

Friends,

Firstly thank you all for your all your help and guidance till now with my questions on PJ placement.

I had to keep my PJ dream on hold for some time coz of many things and also coz there was'nt any one coming to India who could carry it for me from the US.

However one of my friend flying to India in a couple of weeks so I have again started thinking about the PJ :) and most likely i am going to place the order in next 2-3 days.

I am thinking of placing order for Optoma HD20 its costing 899$.. any suggestions on any other good DLP projector under 1K $ ( i guess the next step would be Mitsubishi HC4000 but then thats above 1100$) any other suggestions are welcome !!

Vinay - Thanks a ton for help with my questions regarding the placement. You suggested that if possible the mount should also be imported from the US along with the PJ. I am completely new to this thing, can you suggest a link or two for ceiling PJ mount for HD20. I will have to hang it around 16-18 inches below the POP ceiling.

Also, I will need around 35-40 feet HDMI cable to connect my PJ with AVR. will 24 AWG be good enough? some suggest 22 AWG but some say that will be too thick so unless very necessary i think i should look at 24 AWG. Can any actual users share their experience and suggest which one will be needed for my setup.

Lastly, other than HDMI, do i need to order any other cable? I am not going to connect my PC with my PJ , but may sometimes like to watch match on the PJ. So do I need to order Component or composite cable? and if yes should i order from US or we can get a good one from the India itself.

Thanks a ton for your help in advance and hope to be able to place my order for PJ and wires soon.

Regards,
Naren

Check out our special offers on Stereo Package & Bundles for all budget types.
Back