Optoma HD20 or Epson 8350 or something else in a similar budget

yahoo0212

Hii...
As learnt from HFV...I am making my HT and audio setup... step by step....
Well already owning the Stereo setup and WDTV Live I am planning to move a step forwards by converting one of my rooms to HT Room by installing a Full HD Projector.

Budget for the projector is abt 60-65 k max...
So I hav chosen these two models..
1. Optoma HD 20
2. Epson 8350
3. Mitsubishi HC4000
4 .OTHER suggestions are welcome...

I want suggestions from HFV users who are already using or used these projectors and also expert opinion ,,, in helping me decide the best of the 2 or any other PJ in similar range..
My source wd be WDTV Live with all HD Rips.. I would be adding a Bluray player later ..
I have decided upon the AVR 1912 (Will purchase later ) and complete my existing Aviano setup with surrounds centre and sub (Velodyne impact mostly)

I will be arranging the Proj from US as one of my friend is expected to come soon from there..
Currently Optoma HD20 is selling for ~860 $ and Epson 8350 for 1070$ approx and Mitsubishi for 1099$..
Both fits well in my budget ..

My room is abt 14x11 feet .. 10 feet high..
Room has windows but I would cover them or remove the grill (which is used for daylight ) and cover it up by wooden frame so that light is completely blocked.

Please add on yr suggestions and opinions and help deciding the best pj... :yahoo:

Last edited:
8350 - Window

I am having 8350, it is a good projector compared to my earlier one.

The only problem with 8350 is some times the picture quality drops about 30% for a minute, so the fear is always there that something more bad is coming?

This complain i understand is there at other international forums too but there are members here who have this projector and have not faced the problem.

Your solution will not work to cover the window based on various posts spread in threads.

V.

Budget for the projector is abt 60-65 k max...
So I hav chosen these two models..
1. Optoma HD 20
2. Epson 8350
3. Mitsubishi HC4000
4 .OTHER suggestions are welcome...

I want suggestions from HFV users who are already using or used these projectors and also expert opinion ,,, in helping me decide the best of the 2 or any other PJ in similar range..

Room has windows but I would cover them or remove the grill (which is used for daylight ) and cover it up by wooden frame so that light is completely blocked.
:yahoo:

Last edited:
optoma hd 20 is a boom projector. (dhamaka )
small but amazing machine. gives wonderful picture quality. (lite weight.) to carry . bulb also cheap 15-16,000 rs . price cheapest compared to other pjs.
i am very happy with my pj almost one bd movie a day.
u can use the pj for 2-3 yrs &then upgrade something new is coming 3d for eg.
so no technology is permanent . even full hd is going to repl one day with ultra hd tech. my 2 nd choice is pannny 4000 awesome pj pict quality superb .
only heavy to carry. from us.both having diff technology lcd/dlp. . what u like is what u want. so rest is ur choice
bye pj enthuastic :clapping:

Projector - Bulb - Movies

A projector being light or heavy is not a issue because once it is housed in the ceiling, one is not going to remove it for carrying it elsewhere.

I think most bulbs will cost similar price.

It is a smart move that you are watching movies so frequently, i wish i could watch that many movies or foreign TV shows.

Do you go to cinema hall for watching a movie? I think not because you are getting the daily movie dose through your projector.

V.

optoma hd 20 is a boom projector. (dhamaka )
small but amazing machine. gives wonderful picture quality. (lite weight.) to carry . bulb also cheap 15-16,000 rs .
i am very happy with my pj almost one bd movie a day.

The HC4000 is quite a step up from HD20 or Epson.

Also, you may want to look at HD33 and Epson 3010. Both are new versions of HD20/Epson 8350 respectively with 3D added.

If you are asking advice about a projector and they happen to be DLP/LCD, its bound to have DLP vs LCD discussion. You can't avoid it and still try to get advice.

Also, LCD has better blacks because those projectors have dynamic IRIS. If you compare that to a DLP having dynamic IRIS, you will see similar black levels. For example, HD20 does not have dynamic IRIS but 8350 does. That affects the contrast nos a lot and hence the reason why Epson has such a big no. What matters most is the intra-scene contrast and its based on the native contrast. Nobody publishes the native contrast, and between DLP/LCD, its only in few hundreds. DLP has more native contrast though compared to LCD.

Read up reviews and you will know more. Good luck.

Re: Projector - Bulb - Movies

A projector being light or heavy is not a issue because once it is housed in the ceiling, one is not going to remove it for carrying it elsewhere.

I think most bulbs will cost similar price.

It is a smart move that you are watching movies so frequently, i wish i could watch that many movies or foreign TV shows.

Do you go to cinema hall for watching a movie? I think not because you are getting the daily movie dose through your projector.

V.
hi vinay,
i suggested yahoo212 about hd 20 lite in weight because his freind was cmg from us. no probs of celing mount.
i dont go to cinema hall after all what is use of pj bringing home.
1 bd movie a day lucky chap no?
vinay u r a very great pj enthuastic & movies fan , that u expended a lot on ur home theater. u r theater room is one of the best i ever seen .. its a fantasy , dream world to me.
bye ...... movies masti & cheers.

M goin for Optoma HD20 ... ... Will be getting it arranged from USA or buying it from Pooja Electronics Bombay..... thanks all...

If someone cannot bring from US for you, then go to Amazon and buy from there. For Optoma projectors Amazon has an offer to deliver at home after paying customs duty also. The total cost is around Rs 30,000 less than buying in India. Just make sure you choose the option of Amazon as the Seller.

If someone cannot bring from US for you, then go to Amazon and buy from there. For Optoma projectors Amazon has an offer to deliver at home after paying customs duty also. The total cost is around Rs 30,000 less than buying in India. Just make sure you choose the option of Amazon as the Seller.

30000 s for HD66 ... M planning for HD20 which is 829$ (as on 31-01-2012).. It comes to abt 55-60 k with customs and shipping to INdia

30000 s for HD66 ... M planning for HD20 which is 829$ (as on 31-01-2012).. It comes to abt 55-60 k with customs and shipping to INdia

yahoo if you are interested then the epson Tw5900 3D projector(much better than the optoma HD20 in performance plus it has 3D) for around 72-73K... Its on sale on amazon.de... Its a pretty decent projector & best of all you can use it in a normal light room unlike the HD20 which requires a dark room... Also the pricing of the HD20 has dropped below the $700 mark before so it might be worthwhile w8ing for the price to drop again before you buy...

yahoo if you are interested then the epson Tw5900 3D projector(much better than the optoma HD20 in performance plus it has 3D) for around 72-73K... Its on sale on amazon.de... Its a pretty decent projector & best of all you can use it in a normal light room unlike the HD20 which requires a dark room... Also the pricing of the HD20 has dropped below the $700 mark before so it might be worthwhile w8ing for the price to drop again before you buy...

Thanks for d suggestion.. WIll loook upon d internet for more reviews on Epson u suggested. And Thanks for letting me know that HD20 has gone for abt 700...Is there any site where we can get the history/price track record of any product... or is it solely from your observation

Thanks for d suggestion.. WIll loook upon d internet for more reviews on Epson u suggested. And Thanks for letting me know that HD20 has gone for abt 700...Is there any site where we can get the history/price track record of any product... or is it solely from your observation

I think HD20 went on sale for $650 or $699 during black friday... Other than that $799 has been the lowest price so far...

I have been using Optoma HD20 for almost a year now, and have been very satisfied with the performance. The Epson, I think, has a better contrast, but since it was bulkier to carry, I went for Optoma.

Follow HiFiMART on Instagram for offers, deals and FREE giveaways!
Back