USB Cable type AB recommendation

Still with all the debates held, i purchased QED "Qunex USB-P" USB cable, 2m A to B terminated from UK for 10 . Whether it makes difference in my system? Sorry i am yet to test it:)

^^ Good to know! :)

I thought you were using the regular Hiface. Evo, huh? :licklips:

I've read it has a battery attachment in the wall-wart for switching the power-input to a 9V battery (instead of the A/C outlet). Did you try that?

Actually Hydra I am using a standard wall wart power supply which appears to be a cheap made in china unit. One advantage to the Evo is that there is an upgrade path - like the power supply and external clock. I plan to slowly upgrade to these.
Cheers
Sid

What cable are you using sid? The cable makes a ridiculous amount of difference. Totally worth getting a high end coax cable.

Cheers!

ROC, I have a Tara Labs RSC 75 and a Nordost Moonglo2 - both in the $200 range, but prefer the Tara Labs. I am planning to get a Sterevox xv ultra digital cable soon as well. I have read a lot of good stuff on kimber illuminati as well so maybe will try to find a used one of that as well.
Cheers,
Sid

Last edited:
ROC, I have a Tara Labs RSC 75 and a Nordost Moonglo2 - both in the $200 range, but prefer the Tara Labs. I am planning to get a Sterevox xv ultra digital cable soon as well. I have read a lot of good stuff on kimber illuminati as well so maybe will try to find a used one of that as well.
Cheers,
Sid

I'd tried the moonglo in my system for a day - way too bright. I have a ridge street poemia which is very neutral without any hard edges whatsoever. Highly recommended. Never tried a stereovox but have read good reviews.

I'd tried the moonglo in my system for a day - way too bright. I have a ridge street poemia which is very neutral without any hard edges whatsoever. Highly recommended. Never tried a stereovox but have read good reviews.

I felt the same about the moonglo ROC. Yes heard a lot about the poeima. Unfortunately only way to try these is to buy them, just like the USB cable so will see what I can get at used pricing.
Cheers,
Sid

Ok guys I have had my AQ cinnamon USb cable for a few months and I have been listening to it switching between this and a no name USB. Honestly there is very little discernible difference between the two and I am quite sure I wont be able to pass a DBT.
Thanx Sid . At least that should now put the lid on USB cable discussions ..

Might be different on a different source. Ayon's usb input is more of a checkbox feature. No one in his right mind would use the usb input. Its based on a Tenor te7022l chipset which is a pretty bad usb implementation.

No chance :rolleyes:

Might be different on a different source.
See what I mean? ;)

Ayon's usb input is more of a checkbox feature. No one in his right mind would use the usb input. Its based on a Tenor te7022l chipset which is a pretty bad usb implementation.
But reignofchaos is right anyway, I guess. It is certainly in accord with some of the better audio links that I've been reading on the net recently. It explains the phenomenon that converting from one format to another, eg USB to SP/DIF is observed to give an improvement in sound. It is counter-intuitive that adding an extra conversion process can make things better, but it does. Why? because that particular DAC has a better SP/DIF circuit than USB circuit. I don't think this needs to be controversial.

It would be interesting if anyone reports that, on their particular DAC, USB is better than SP/DIF.

Supposing an ideal USB implementation: would the cable make a difference then? I say, "No."

The controversy will continue.

(and I don't even use USB audio :eek: )

Actually as part of continuing my experimentation in comp. audio, I am considering buying an Ayre qb9 usb dac in a few months time. At that I will compare usb direct vs spdif and see what difference exists. I am not sure that the qb9 as an usb dac will beat the m2tech hiface evo + ayon dac, but it has been rated and reviewed highly.
Cheers,
Sid

It does for me stereorules. My next upgrades are pretty much going to be limited to the electronics itself, as I mentioned earlier a new computer, m2tech evo accessories and maybe a Ayre qb9.
Cheers,
Sid

The Ayon usb input is an after thought.

USB to spdif conversion needs to be purposefully implemented for it to work right. Inbuilt well implemented asynchronous conversion or outboard master clocks are a must. The outboard hiface is doing a good job with the conversion. Hence your good observations.

There are no surprises here. I have a couple of friends who have similar observations.

Try this one ;)

6moons audio reviews: Antelope Audio Zodiac+

Infact look up the entire line up from antelope !

Thanks square - Actually I am in a bit of quandry trying to figure out what will sound better- whether to max out the evo with external clock and power supply ensuring that USB to coax signal is really pristine and then using the Ayon Cd2s as a DAC (which is superb DAC in its own right - I am even considering upgrading to a skylla) or going an USB dac route. The former will cost apprx. $1200 (excluding the cost of the DAC ofcourse) and the latter approx $2500 (Ayre qb9 is $2750). I want to stick with the former mainly becoz I love the ayon sound, but am considering experimentation albeit at an added expense. My gut feel is that the former will have the edge mainly because of the Ayon in the chain,especially if and when I do step up to the skylla. Or a third option will be to consider a Weiss fire wire DAC and get rid of the USb option entirely. Having researched comp. audio for the past few months there appears to be a camp that believes a mac transport with fire wire into a weiss DAC is the pinnacle.
Cheers,
Sid

Last edited:
Anyone got any online link for analysis (technical) which claims Cable Matters for digital transmission as well, I would like to read.

Anyone got any online link for analysis (technical) which claims Cable Matters for digital transmission as well, I would like to read.

I'm not contributing to that debate. I will add Jason Stoddard's copy instead :0

Schiit Audio, Headphone amps and DACs made in USA.

USB PYSTs are actually just nice, 1M long, USB 2.0-rated cables that have thicker than normal power conductors and silver-plated copper data lines<snip>In any case, you can get PYST, or you can save some money at Monoprice.

ciao
gr

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Red Mahogany finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back