USB Cable type AB recommendation

I some time wonder why we don't see all this Voodo science in video which has a higher bandwidth, faster clock and goes through multiple A-D and D-A to the display with flimsy PCB trace with el cheapo SMD parts. Yet every pixel that lies on the disc gets faithfully reproduced on the panel. May be it is just easy to verify these non-sense rather than pretend we can hear things.
Oh, but we do!

Not a debate I take a great part in: simply, I watch TV/movies very rarely. I have to admit, though, that when I do, I find our old-tech CRT TV very unsatisfactory.

Deeper blacks is something that always worries me. Black is black, no? All pixels turned off, and you can't get much deeper than that, can you? But our perception of black, as of any other colour, will be strongly influenced by adjacent colours --- so the experience may well be real.

I some time wonder why we don't see all this Voodo science in video which has a higher bandwidth, faster clock and goes through multiple A-D and D-A to the display with flimsy PCB trace with el cheapo SMD parts. Yet every pixel that lies on the disc gets faithfully reproduced on the panel. May be it is just easy to verify these non-sense rather than pretend we can hear things.

exactly my thoughts. I cannot understand the obsession behind jitter in digital audio when there is not even a standard process to measure, let alone hear it.

think about it. The hdmi cable transmits video (which is higher bit rate data compared to audio) perfectly well, but the same interface / cable is frowned upon by these audiophiles.

exactly my thoughts. I cannot understand the obsession behind jitter in digital audio when there is not even a standard process to measure, let alone hear it.

think about it. The hdmi cable transmits video (which is higher bit rate data compared to audio) perfectly well, but the same interface / cable is frowned upon by these audiophiles.

Maybe you should do a very keenly heard A/B comparison of a well setup TT with a DAC - same set of songs. Then you will wonder whats wrong with digital and what could be affecting it. :eek:hyeah:

--G0bble

yeah, right... :)

since we are thinking about it, why not listen to the first records made of wax, with playing time of 3 mins. Those were the pure audio bliss. I am sure the vinyls don't even come close to the fuller, richer, natural sound of those. :p

Big YES Bro. Discovery/Science Channel had some excellent episodes on perception of Hearing and seeing.

<Brainwave Thunder! Lightning! Super Rin...G0bble and Hiten crossing each other ... Hiten freezes> Haha! Language and culture may affect color perception, but timing and jitter does not affect visual perception!! :eek:hyeah::eek:hyeah:

--G0bble

Last edited:
but timing and jitter does not affect visual perception!!
For 99 % of ordinary people (including me) yes :)
Language and culture may affect color perception
Yes BBC video is interesting. Isn't it? Now when you see anyone with fluorescent Pink shirt..... Have some respect :lol: :lol: :lol:
Regards

Last edited:
All of that means absolutely nothing to me, and given that I have a reasonable idea of the difference between what I might understand if I work at it, and what I will probably never grasp, I'd say this comes in the latter category.

So ... I'll leave it all to the designers, the physicists, and those who can make something meaningful out of this in the kit that we buy. Equally, there are those among us who are qualified to think out such things for fun. Enjoy :)

The trouble is, when people who do not know what it is all about get hold of some techie half truths and assumptions, which results in crap like this. Worse, it results in it being fed back into the music listening community/market as being the work of some kind of techno-/audio-phile authority.

Of course, if you have an oscilloscope on your desk, and have the experience to use it, then ...respect :). Just so long as we stay in the world of human-equipment awareness, of course!

An Audio PC always was quite easy to construct, although some fine tuning might have helped. Advice on how to do that is around the web, much of it, on the MS time-line referring to WinXP, and much of it very practical, even though any of the individual points could be argued. There's an excellent write up (I forget the name now, but it is well-known) on maximising an XP PC for sound: we may or may not agree with the necessity of any of the steps recommended, but there is no doubt that it is written by someone with sound pc-technology knowledge.

Arising from the various discussions here recently, I've read up a lot of stuff on the web. This was just one article --- and it stood out, to me, as being pretty dreadful.

If "old" means nobody takes it seriously any longer, then good --- but there's stuff out there that is a lot older that is still good, and still useful.

Last edited:
A little offtopic.
Of course, if you have an oscilloscope on your desk, and have the experience to use it, then ...respect :).
Yes people who have amazing technical knowledge should be respected (I respect them). But for some, Oscilloscope will only be next level of debates, as across international forums I read people debating & discussing on circuits used to test, components used, even materials used to make components.
Then they move on to psychoacoustic debates (An intellectual brain shredding activity) where they debate about effects of stress produced by peer pressure to prove the claimed difference by double-blind, triple-stimulus, hidden-reference ABX* listening tests.
* The Blind, the Double Blind, and the Not-So Blind | Stereophile.com

So there is no escape from 'friendly' debates/arguments/discussions of this highly subjective hobby. :)

No escape indeed, and it wouldn't be a hobby if we didn't subjectively judge and discuss it! All we need to do is to acknowledge the subjectivity.

When I go out to buy, I'm as subjective as they come: even the visual/tactile aesthetics of the equipment counts (as the manufacturers well know). On the other hand, if I read a "group test" in the media, it should have been done blind. Hard though it may be to arrange, if we are seriously interested in assessment, even at home, it's really better if we can manage it, not to know which alternative we are rating as we [get someone else to] switch the alternatives.

The article you quote (warning: I may be about to be subjective; I'm not sure ;)) presents some really bad arguments, though, in what seems to be a desire to discredit blind testing.
But for some, Oscilloscope will only be next level of debates, as across international forums I read people debating & discussing on circuits used to test, components used, even materials used to make components.
If a difference can be heard, the instruments can usefully explain, perhaps --- or even arbitrate, where difference is disputed. Whilst I'm never going to understand those squiggly waves, If someone can use them to translate into something more objective than "squishy in the mid tones, muddy in the base," I don't mind at all. On the other hand, even though the data might be scientific, I am sure that it will still be used to unscientifically justify some product, especially an expensive cable ("Whoa, this proves that tones above 60khz* are subject to calcification," in conjunction with the catch-all justification that even frequencies that bats can't hear do affect what humans can hear.

*(whoa! bats can hear up to 150khz, so can whales and dolphins. Perhaps mere humans don't even deserve hifi :) )

Last edited:
Sorry for late reply.
(whoa! bats can hear up to 150khz, so can whales and dolphins. Perhaps mere humans don't even deserve hifi :) )
I guess all major capabilities regarding audio amplification (specifications/source/amplification/speakers/cables) that average human should bother/care/worry about is mostly achieved. If you are not one in a million person like this man whom I have also mentioned else where...
The Blind Man Who Taught Himself To See?|?Mens Journal you are practically safe with meaningfully expensive but not overpriced audio stuff be it USB/HDMI cables or amps or speakers.
I have zero technical knowledge otherwise amp circuit topology, Speaker designs, impedance matching stuff, room treatment etc. basic things are more interesting and important than various quality cables. But I do respect fellow members who have invested heavily in this interesting music related hobby and have vast first hand listening experience.
Regards

A recent update - my aq cinnamon usb cable is here but I have not yet picked it up from my friend who very kindly carried it for me.
Meanwhile I have been using my no-name cable and running FLAC files off my Hp mini and overall I am very satisfied. I did the WAV vs FLAC comparo. and thought that on some CD's WAV sounded better but on majority I was not able to discern any difference - so for now I will stick to FLAC.
I still feel that in this set-up Cd playback is sounding better, but I realize that I have I have to first upgrade my computer system starting with windows XP to 7 so that I can use WASAPI plug in for foobar. (can't do that on my present netbook as it cant handle 64bit OS). So I have been researching music Pc's and that will be my next upgrade. Considering MAC, but I would prefer Windows laptop so I can dual use for work as well.
More later.....
Cheers,
Sid

Last edited:
That will be interesting. What would be ideal would be two PCs, one with the new 7 OS.

Mac, having unix-based OS, might be operating in similar way to Linux: the latter having the advantage of being free :).

If anybody knows of any write-ups on sound quality across the various operating systems, that would be very interesting. With windows and Linux on the same machine, the usual A/B testing problems arise: there should be an ability to switch quickly from one to another; even the time taken to reboot the machine and start the software is too long for a-b assessment.

I agree that would be interesting indeed. My little research on a few other forums indicate that user preference is tilted towards Win 7/Foobar/Wasapi combination (within the windows OS).
And of-course there are the usual Windows/Mac camps - dont even want to touch that:lol:
Cheers,
Sid

Ok guys I have had my AQ cinnamon USb cable for a few months and I have been listening to it switching between this and a no name USB. Honestly there is very little discernible difference between the two and I am quite sure I wont be able to pass a DBT. So at least for me it is settled, a decent $5 USB cable with decent build quality is enough, but since I already bought the $60 AQ cinnamon I will continue using it. Now the next part - I also acquired a m2tech hiface evo usb bridge. When I use the bridge with USb connection from the computer and run coax to my Ayon CD2s as a DAC, there is a huge difference and the SQ leaps forward, as opposed to running direct USB. The SQ cannot be distinguished from Cd playback and maybe even better (have to do a little more listening before I can confirm this) . So I am convinced beyond any doubt that this is the way to go. Next steps - upgrading my computer.
Cheers,
Sid

Last edited:
^^ Good to know! :)

I thought you were using the regular Hiface. Evo, huh? :licklips:

I've read it has a battery attachment in the wall-wart for switching the power-input to a 9V battery (instead of the A/C outlet). Did you try that?

Ok guys I have had my AQ cinnamon USb cable for a few months and I have been listening to it switching between this and a no name USB. Honestly there is very little discernible difference between the two and I am quite sure I wont be able to pass a DBT. So at least for me it is settled, a decent $5 USB cable with decent build quality is enough, but since I already bought the $60 AQ cinnamon I will continue using it. Now the next part - I also acquired a m2tech hiface evo usb bridge. When I use the bridge with USb connection from the computer and run coax to my Ayon CD2s as a DAC, there is a huge difference and the SQ leaps forward, as opposed to running direct USB. The SQ cannot be distinguished from Cd playback and maybe even better (have to do a little more listening before I can confirm this) . So I am convinced beyond any doubt that this is the way to go. Next steps - upgrading my computer.
Cheers,
Sid

What cable are you using sid? The cable makes a ridiculous amount of difference. Totally worth getting a high end coax cable.

Cheers!

Get the Wharfedale EVO 4.2 3-Way Standmount Speakers at a Special Offer Price.
Back