USB Cable type AB recommendation

This is a little bit OT in my thinking, and hence I apologise upfront. This also has no direct connection with Sid's considerations for an USB cable. I never want to suggest expensive cables, for one I simply cannot afford one. This post of mine as well as the earlier one is because of my theoretical interest in the subject.

Thatguy and Ajinkya,
I am not a network professional, I am just a poor theoretical physicist. However, I have a more than casual interest in the subject (I do not want to go into the reasons here). I am delighted that you guys are professionals in the related fields and can perhaps help me understand a few things.

I know for the last decade or so that a layer-3 capable switched network with full duplex has point-to-point dedicated path and therefore collisions are avoided. Actually my question or concern is more general. The above is true when the collision domain is relatively smaller and the switching fabric is ideal. I like to know in a practical situation, like in an enterprise class LAN with 2 core switches, more than 10 distribution switches and many edge switches and several thousand switched network nodes, can collisions take place in practice, because the collision domain is now much larger and switching backplane may be saturated or some less-than-ideal network interface cards or even switches may actually send the data a bit later than what is ideal, after the carrier sensing.

Actually, routers are usually known to have something called 'late collisions'. This is pretty usual. I have personally seen that in our Institute routers, although this late collision is pretty rare but not ruled out at the core switch level too. I am sure you guys know about this. Just for reference I give a Cisco link Troubleshooting Ethernet Collisions - Cisco Systems .

There is another situation I can easily think of where at least I do not know how one can avoid collisions even in a switched network. Suppose, in my LAN, I have a MZ (militarized zone) on a private IP (say e.g. 172.X.X.X) and the MZ is connecetd to a switching device with layer-4 capabality and does NAT (Network Address Translation) and connected to the rest of the LAN through the NAT. Since the NAT converts all the IPs in my MZ to a single IP (for example), the connection from that point on cannot distinguish between packets from different nodes of the MZ. Or, can it?

A malware infected PC can send automatically billions of packets to the net and can jam the log of SQUID. This is not collision but can stall the network.

However, I like to mention that collisions are not that bad afterall, because there is usually no data loss even after there is a collision. The protocol has enough safeguard against such a thing.

I am sorry for the partly hypothetical and technical nature of this post. I have not fully understood your claims of no collisions in a Ethernet based network.

Perhaps we should take our discussion on network somewhere else or through PM, and leave Sid and his thread alone. But I find the subject highly interesting.

Ajinkya,
I fully agree that EMI may not be serious issue when it comes to a USB cable. Let alone digital, I use mostly unshielded DIY interconnects between my CDP and amp, phono-stage and amp and cassette deck and amp. The only place I make sure I use a shielded cable is between my TT and the phono, because the signals are very weak, and EMI will result in serious humming. One needs to make sure there is no significant detrimental effects due to EMI. There is certainly EMI present, and one has to be careful. We cannot ignore the subject as such, that's all. I cannot and do not buy USD 500 cables anyway.

Thatguy,
I hope you understand now that being a physicist how helpless I feel when people talk about cable burning in or the actual effect of a cable and think that this whole subject is a hoax. There are solid physics reasons behind it and also for directionality of a cable after burning in. I have tried explaining that a few places in this forum, but who cares.

Regards.

Asit and other distinguished members- No problem at all going OT - feel free. Maybe some kernel of that knowledge will help some reader. I have not understood a lot of the discussion on collisions and packets etc:lol:, but I know that it is some how related to how we possibly hear what we hear and that is of significant interest to me and, I hope, to others.
Cheers,
Sid

I am on the lookout for a decent 1m USB cable (type AB) for computer audio. My budget is around 6k but can go higher upto 10k, if the SQ is positively impacted.
User experiences and opinions are welcome and solicited.
I am considering the Audioquest Carbon cable and higher in the AQ range as of now.
Cheers,
Sid

Hi !

I have this for sale :-

Wire World - Platinum Starlight USB

Would it interest you ?

Regards,

I know for the last decade or so that a layer-3 capable switched network with full duplex has point-to-point dedicated path and therefore collisions are avoided. Actually my question or concern is more general. The above is true when the collision domain is relatively smaller and the switching fabric is ideal. I like to know in a practical situation, like in an enterprise class LAN with 2 core switches, more than 10 distribution switches and many edge switches and several thousand switched network nodes, can collisions take place in practice, because the collision domain is now much larger and switching backplane may be saturated or some less-than-ideal network interface cards or even switches may actually send the data a bit later than what is ideal, after the carrier sensing.

Actually, routers are usually known to have something called 'late collisions'. This is pretty usual. I have personally seen that in our Institute routers, although this late collision is pretty rare but not ruled out at the core switch level too. I am sure you guys know about this. Just for reference I give a Cisco link Troubleshooting Ethernet Collisions - Cisco Systems .

Asit, glad to see someone actually interested in the inner workings of the Internet. In the age of point and click, this is refreshing.

I think you are confusing between collision and congestion. Collision stops the moment all your links are full duplex. In fact one of the basic premise of Ethernet, the shared medium which was the cause of collision, does not hold any longer (in networks with switches). When you connect devices to a switch with a switch fabric that can take the shit, you are almost looking at a bi-directional complete graph amongst the nodes. A can talk to B without C or D even knowing about it. Of course, there would be broadcasts in the learning phase but after the MAC addresses get associated with ports it is like a point-to-point link. This is not the Ethernet that we studied in college but this is what industry is doing these days (well there is a lot more going on but we could discuss it some other time over an appropriate drink :) ).

If you connect many switches together, you could run into congestion on links which connect the switches. If a switch has 12 ports, one of which is connected to another switch, chances are that the hosts connected to the other 11 ports can flood more data on that link than it is capable of handling. We are aware of this problem and implement very elaborate QoS to prioritize the traffic in case of link congestion. Packets do get dropped, but that isn't collision in the CSMA/CD sense.

Late collisions, IIRC, are due to misconfiguration. They shouldn't happen. (I am thin ice here. For the kind of switches I work with, these concepts are only of academic interest.)

Last edited:
Fascinating stuff. A most enjoyable and educational thread!

Ethernet switching technology left me behind a long time ago (thanks to those who have explained, and crossposted with thatguy), even though we had upgraded from hubs to switches on the LAN before my departure from work. I have to say though, that part of the beauty of the system, even unswitched, is that collisions do not matter, and do not represent data loss. "Multiple Access / Collision Detect" is the name of the game (this is elementary to our contributing engineers, of course: others may google) and is part of a very robust suite of protocols allowing numerous systems to communicate over (virtually or actually) one cable. I remember the first time I looked at an ethernet hub, with star wiring topography, and wondered how to understand it, realising that I could picture it (analogously) as an ethernet cable coiled up in a box! The protocols and their working remained the same, with improved practical advantage of being able to connect and disconnect stuff at will, without an office chorus of, "Is the network down?" The point is that all this stuff works, and that it has been working, not for years, but for decades.

Yes, the computer world has its stories, like why a network always failed on a Sunday afternoon --- because some cable excess got looped around a fluorescent light fitting in a store room that the cleaner used only on a Sunday (I paraphrase, and probably combine several fact-based myths here) but cat-5 cabling ( a long time ago now) brought considerable resilience to such stuff. Of course, needed or not, no good engineer would lay it in the same trays as the mains cables, on a just-in-case basis.

Which is a point from which to return to the main topic. For most of us, tidying up the cables behind our desks would probably contribute far more to data stability than spending hundreds of dollars on something where technology only calls for ten.

Yes, there are problems in the digital world, and yes, data loss and corruption can occur. That is not the same as presuming that it will occur unless we give lots of money to parasites that feed on our uninformed paranoia.

Last edited:
CSMA/CD is not even enabled in switched Ethernets.

HTH

As a further clarification - the odd port in a switched network may be set to half-duplex inadvertently thus enabling csma/cd and resulting in the reported collisions.

But it is usually due to technical oversight, or a failed auto-negotiation or a switch port in a bad state - never useful in a switched network.

--G0bble

Cheers. My TCP/IP book is so old it doesn't even cover private address space, let alone www. I stood in a bookshop, thinking about buying a new one --- then I realised I just do not need that knowledge any longer!

We were talking of cables. Now here's something on trimming the edges of your CD at exactly 36 degrees and then painting the cut edge black, purportedly to trap laser light, which, as per this site, richochets and degrades the original sound on any CD player.

Svalander Audio AB, CD Sound Improver

Happy reading;)

We were talking of cables. Now here's something on trimming the edges of your CD at exactly 36 degrees and then painting the cut edge black, purportedly to trap laser light, which, as per this site, richochets and degrades the original sound on any CD player.

Svalander Audio AB, CD Sound Improver

Happy reading;)
That's a development. Probably best, as they suggest, to use their Swedish page ;).

Wasn't the all-original piece of pseudo-audiophile lunacy using a green marker on CD edges?

(I am ashamed to admit that I actually tried it! :rolleyes:)

But hey, it was cheap and didn't do any harm. A scientist might have known it was nonsense: I'm not a scientist. This kind of experiment is very different to being sold a special audio magic marker for $1,000 --- which would have been a ripoff.

(I can't work out, in Swedish, if these people are selling the machine or the service. Anyway, I think we should get back to cables, preferably of the on-topic USB kind :eek: ;) )

Last edited:
This thread should be buried away but it is almost midnight and the music on the radio is making me expansive. I will give it some life.

Anyone who believes that bits in a digital system keep flipping randomly should try this experiment.

Take all the components out of the PC cabinet and place them on a table (wood or glass). Take a close look at the mother baord. Data and signalling on the mother board is carried through thin copper lines. There is no shielding. And all the interfaces are trusted. If the RAM modules gives corrupted data to the CPU, there is no way for the CPU to find out (except when running a ECC capable DRAM controller). Same with PCI and other peripheral chips.

The voltages on the PCI bus are below 5 volts. RAM these days runs on less than 2 volts.

Now reconnect the components and run your PC while the components are lying on the table. The mother board is exposed to all the EM radiation that is making you panicky. The PC is moving billions of bits per second through those thin copper wires on the motherboard. While not all bit flips can crash a PC, most will. Your mileage may vary, but I had to run 4 PCs in an open case (1U case without cover) and ran them successfully for 4 months. The only concession was a reboot I did every 30 days. The average load on these machines was more than 50%. These machines were in a lab with industrial grade computing equipment (500+ routers and switches with fans and power supplies).

I will repeat, while the probability of a bit flipping is not zero, it is extremely low. I would have loved to report numbers but anecdotal evidence is all I have right now.

It is ignorant to assert that digital systems keep making mistakes and corrections. Digital technologies are very robust and have revolutionized data storage and transmission. On the other hand, it is extremely expensive to maintain the integrity of analog information. $1000 cable to protect your analog signal while it travels from the CD player to the AMP? The web page you just loaded came from a web server located 12,000 miles away and it is 100% bit perfect. You get exactly what the web server sent you. And it is cheap (how much will you have to spend on interconnects if your CD player and AMP were 12,000 miles away?)

There are things that analog electronics does that digital simply can't. But for data storage and transmission, digital will beat analog any day.

And now my desperate attempt to stay on topic:

There is no need to bring in the analog paranoia to a USB cable :)

Last edited:
Wise words, thatguy. Very reasonable and very practical.

On top of your examples... word documents do not come from the hdd with spelling mistakes, unless you saved them that way. Spreadsheets are retrieved with exactly the same numbers and calculations as got saved. From a one page letter to a thousand page book; from a household budget to a company's accounts. Databases, can contain many millions of entries.

If all was utopia, we wouldn't need back-ups --- and I hope we all realise that we do. Data corruption can be caused by anything from a buggy upgrade to a program to a hardware fault, but almost always the effects are not casual. It is not a case of fine nuances in our writing, but that the file won't even open. User error, of course, is a part of that picture, and the one time I had a music file that suddenly sounded distorted, I restored from the backup, with the strong suspicion that it must have been something that I had done, though I never knew what.

I like my USB cables best with transparent, or slightly smoky-transparent, outer sleeves which show the silver shielding underneath. The placebo effect is very real: use it! But don't pay through the nose for it :)

All three AQ cables have a single solid conductor for each of its signal wires -- the company avoids multistranding because they believe it adds distortions.
My B-S Alarm is ringing.

As to silver-plating the connectors? Copper cable; copper connectors in the sockets; why make the connectors of anything else? At least gold, in practical terms, prevents oxidation. Could there even be a counter theory here, that using different metals could lead to galvanic corrosion?

I should, of course, try it myself, but with my hf hearing ceiling falling year by year, I'm not a good guinea pig.

I'd like to see a cable review like this written by someone who has no background in this hi-fi business, and no adopted cable preference. My theory is that much of it comes from the culture.

Why is it that none of the subjective reviewers are practicing engineers? A real engineer would, on hearing a difference, go back to his lab and try to find a physical reason for the difference. The subjective reviewer continues to spread his mysterious (and often flawed) version without seeing a need to dig deeper into the reasons for the variations, if any.

I have no idea if Audioquests sound better and would have liked to give Mr Doug the benefit of doubt. But you don't do blind tests in the privacy of your listening room over six months. Hire real scientists and have them design and conduct a real experiment before you call it a blind test.

Human mind is a fickle thing. We can give reality any shape we like. The sun revolved around the earth a 1000 years ago and the earth was flat. There are people who will tell you that sugar water will cure diseases (Homeopathy). Then there are those who would kill others and themselves to earn the favor of some imaginary friend living in a town called Heaven. To them this mayor of Heaven is not imaginary, he is as real as the table and the chairs are to the rest of us. So I am not surprised that some people can hear differences where none exist. They are not lying. Their brains have been conditioned to build imaginary things when the real ones don't exist.

Or maybe, it is economics that distorts their perception. Have you have been in a situation where the guy who painted your house or repaired the tap believes that everything is ok while you can clearly see the flaws in their work. Or how the audio dealers believe that the $10000 equipment sounds much better than the $4000 one. There was a recent thread where the Anutone person told the home theater room owner that the speakers were good and the room needed treatment. If Mr Doug couldn't see the difference, he would not be able to write his article and maybe not be able to put food on the table. An engineer, who can earn his living another way, may not feel the *need* to see the difference and hence not see it.

Also, I find the testing methodology where they look for *better* equipment flawed. Audio testers should take a leaf from AI researchers, especially the Turing test. The equipment manufacturers should conduct tests against real sources of sound, not another electronic source. If a listener can tell that the sound is coming from an electromechanical equipment and not human vocal cords or musical instruments, the designers should go back and do another revision.

---------------------------------------------------------
Saturday evening + 1 pint of beer = 1 hifivision post

Last edited:
Wise words, thatguy. Very reasonable and very practical.

On top of your examples... word documents do not come from the hdd with spelling mistakes, unless you saved them that way. Spreadsheets are retrieved with exactly the same numbers and calculations as got saved. From a one page letter to a thousand page book; from a household budget to a company's accounts. Databases, can contain many millions of entries.

If all was utopia, we wouldn't need back-ups --- and I hope we all realise that we do. Data corruption can be caused by anything from a buggy upgrade to a program to a hardware fault, but almost always the effects are not casual. It is not a case of fine nuances in our writing, but that the file won't even open. User error, of course, is a part of that picture, and the one time I had a music file that suddenly sounded distorted, I restored from the backup, with the strong suspicion that it must have been something that I had done, though I never knew what.

I like my USB cables best with transparent, or slightly smoky-transparent, outer sleeves which show the silver shielding underneath. The placebo effect is very real: use it! But don't pay through the nose for it :)

Thanks Thad, for reading my late night rant.

Now only if meteorologists could learn about the benefits of analog from our dear friends. They have wasted so many years predicting weather, which is an analog phenomena, using digital computers. I am certain that analog computers, which are more accurate, would improve the accuracy of their predictions by a few orders of magnitude.

I am dropping out of this thread. My posts are not making much sense, even to me :)

Sid: thanks for starting the thread. Thad, Ajinkya - thanks for your informative posts. Enjoyed reading them.

Last edited:
thatguy

"Human mind is a fickle thing. We can give reality any shape we like. The sun revolved around the earth a 1000 years ago and the earth was flat. There are people who will tell you that sugar water will cure diseases (Homeopathy). Then there are those who would kill others and themselves to earn the favor of some imaginary friend living in a town called Heaven. To them this mayor of Heaven is not imaginary, he is as real as the table and the chairs are to the rest of us. So I am not surprised that some people can hear differences where none exist. They are not lying. Their brains have been conditioned to build imaginary things when the real ones don't exist."

Great post! Rational, articulate, forceful. What brand of beer are you drinking :)

I am reading Socrates these days and the old man says " The unexamined life is not worth living ". Perhaps we can restate it in audiophile terms as " The scientifically unexamined and subjective opinion of a reviewer is not worth considering ".

But such an assertion would render most reviews and even posts on an audiophile forum as worthless. Because our 'opinions' are rarely supported by technical facts. Least of all mine! I managed to complete my schooling without learning any physics, chemistry or mathematics!

Perhaps what a good reviewer needs to drink before he puts his opinion down on paper is a cocktail of experience, scientific knowledge, rational thought and dispassionate reporting.

More Greek philosophy :) Thesis+Antithesis=Synthesis. A good thread should amicably embrace conflicting opinions and try to reach a synthesis which is acceptable to a majority of people participating in a forum/debate.

I belong to the school of thought that any review is only a guideline. Ultimately the buyer of such equipment will have to experience for him or herself and see if he or she can relate to the experience of the reviewer. Another reason for reviews is that there are a Gazillion products out there and it is impossible both for the reviewers or the buyers to audition/review all of them, hence the use of magazines, websites, fora etc. to try and categorize these products.
Cheers,
Sid

Back