USB reader (can play MP3) with FM radio receiver and remote control for just Rs.150 !

philipreji

Hi FM,

While at SP road (Bangalore) today to purchase some speaker drivers and cables, I just chanced upon this fantastic assembled kit: it has three input ports (USB for MP3 playback, Aux, and one more which looks like an SD card slot - it reads "TF") and an inbuilt FM receiver. Output is analog stereo (line level). The front has an LED panel display. Circuit board reveals a tiny microprocessor, two ICs and several SM devices. There is a remote control. Two sets of wires with connectors are provided (for power input - 5 Volts - and Line out). There are four buttons (Mode, Scan, Vol+ and Vol-) on the front panel. It also has two screw holes, for fixing the unit to any cabinet.

And all this costs only Rs. 150 !! Couldn't resist the temptation and bought one (planning to incorporate this into my new Digital Radio project). Long live the Chinese :clapping:

Cheers,

Reji

Re: USB reader (can play MP3) with FM radio receiver and remote control for just Rs.1

Those small modules are real bamg for money. I have been using them for 2 years. Initially I was skeptical about the quality when bought,but they were surprisingly very good. They decode mp3 in a quite decent quality. FM reception is very good in stereo.
My 2 cents- Use 5 volt smps (usb charger ) for a better performance. The 7805 regulator was quite noisy. Always use a preamp for better results.

Re: USB reader (can play MP3) with FM radio receiver and remote control for just Rs.1

Thanks for the suggestions Vijay. Didn't know the USB charger (SMPS) was better than 7805; in fact I used to think otherwise! Should I go for any particular brand of USB charger?

Thanks,
Reji

Hi Reji,
No particular brands, I just tried a unused smartphone charger. It worked well. With 7805, everytime you change a track, you will get a small poping noise. I tried all measures to eliminate, like increaing filter caps, trying LM317 etc. Finally, i just tried a smps 5 volt and it was not only noise free, but overall sound improved as well.I am not a electronics expert, but i think any microprocessor based circuit, functions better with a smps 5v than a conventional one. I may be wrong though.I also suggest use a super simple preamp (like sachin"s) for great results.If you want tone controls like me, just add a APEX stereo tone control circuit .( pcb plans available at diyaudio). Its a superb tone control pre amp. The best one i have used so far.

Thanks Vijay. LM317 was my next bet after 7805! Anyway now I'll try the SMPS first. I have a Kenwood preamp and 15 band per channel graphic equalizer to play with, but if I get the time to assemble I will build the super simple preamp and APEX tone control circuits.

cheers,
Reji

A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back