Use desktop PC as streamer

sand87ch

first of all apologies if this aint the correct forum to post this question.

I have a desktop pc with respectable specs.

Ram: 16gb
processor : Intel i5 4460
sound card : Asus Xonar DG

i have the spdif out connected to my marantz optical in.was playing tidal etc from my desktop.Is there a way to have some kind of app etc installed on this pc to which i can cast from my apple iphone to play songs from tidal or apple music installed on my phone?

Tidal is going to launch "Tidal Connect" for PCs soon.
No idea about Apple Music as I don't have it.

Spotify Connect works like a charm and has been available for months.

edit:-
tidal connects already there.my prblm is the linux distro viz., linux mint on my pc that doesnt have tidal app.had it been windows or mac it would have been possible.

cool but is there any app that u are aware about like Volumio etc we can install on pi boards?I asked beause i want to stream from my phone via airplay or something to my PC so that i can play it to my marantz.already subscribed to apple music.thats the reason

Last edited:
Install shairport on your linux pc, it will make your pc as an airplay receiver. Then you can connect through airplay from your iPhone.

first of all apologies if this aint the correct forum to post this question.

I have a desktop pc with respectable specs.

Ram: 16gb
processor : Intel i5 4460
sound card : Asus Xonar DG

i have the spdif out connected to my marantz optical in.was playing tidal etc from my desktop.Is there a way to have some kind of app etc installed on this pc to which i can cast from my apple iphone to play songs from tidal or apple music installed on my phone?
try Volumio.

Install shairport on your linux pc, it will make your pc as an airplay receiver. Then you can connect through airplay from your iPhone.
fixing firewall did help to connect but no sound.Strange.
excellent.did you face any issues where it says unable to connect to the pc.my pc is now visible on airplay but it wont connect.

Last edited:
fixing firewall did help to connect but no sound.Strange.
excellent.did you face any issues where it says unable to connect to the pc.my pc is now visible on airplay but it wont connect.
alsa mixer was a failure.dont know why.tried setting up in the .conf file without success.finally today morning uninstalled alsa and installed pulse.got shairport working.itching to again remove and put back alsa and check

I haven't tried myself yet, so can't comment. Easier option is dedicate a raspberry pi as streamer with Moode or Volumio. Those are like set it and forget kind of setups with smaller footprint..

is there any alternative to shairport-sync thats anyone is aware about?facing issues on ubuntu 20.04 and cant fix it even with many tries and retries.not going to buy a pi device as yet as i am planning to go for a boss2 player but that will take sm more time.so want to use my pc till then

just a ques.
for windows is there any app that is similar to shairport which can airplay songs lossless from iphone to win 10 pc?could you pls suggest any that anybody already use or know abt?

Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back