Used Topping D10s - keeps losing the USB - connection and reverts to laptop speakers

UPDATE: WINDOWS!

I HAVE A WINDOWS SYSTEM AS WELL, ..it's actually dual booted with the Ubuntu partition on the same Thinkpad T530. So..same hardware same USB ports as earlier. SO LOGGED INTO WINDOWS 10/11 AND THEN INSTALLED THE TOPPING DRIVER AND AM RUNNING A PLAYLIST FROM THAT.

To test whether the issue may be with Ubuntu and how it deals with the Topping USB DAC.
Just started the music, five minutes in so far so good.
Will be playing music for a few hours and reporting back as to how the stability is with windows.
That's what I suspect. The ubuntu will be having an old driver from 2019. There have been many bug fixes in the kernel since then. Update the OS and post that

1) don't use pulseaudio. Pulseaudio sends audio from application to a user space daemon. Because of this there is lot of latency. Also pulseaudio resamples the audio and you will never get bit-perfect audio from pulseaudio.
2) If you use strawberry, the player can directly send audio to the DAC using ALSA.
3) Better than strawberry is to install mpd (music player daemon). mpd is a daemon. It doesn't have any user interface. To play music you need a client like cantata. The advantage of mpd is you can play music from your android/ios phone also with the DAC connected to your laptop.

Last edited:
Banghui Sir - it may be that the topping auto installed driver on Ubuntu is not as good and probably need to reinstall the Topping Ubuntu driver

i wonder which one i need from here:

Those drivers are for xmos. Windows doesn't have xmos driver as part of the OS. Linux comes with those drivers. However the driver on the linux will be old (from 2019). If the topping DAC is post 2019, then changes in the driver will not be in your version of Ubuntu.

This is the USB AUdio 2.0 class driver from Thesycon - https://www.thesycon.de/eng/usb_audiodriver.shtml

My upgrade to Ubuntu 22.04 failed in the middle of the process, so will have to get my hands a little dirtier than i have time for now...will report back. Device is working alright on windows it seems.

thanks for MPD etc, will run that as well. I have an old 11.6 inch Samsung laptop which I wanted to repurpose as a media playing machine...what OS should I run on it, apart from MPD etc....Volumio? Daphile? Ubuntu? LUbuntu? Mint?

thanks for your guidance mr banghui. very grateful.

My upgrade to Ubuntu 22.04 failed in the middle of the process, so will have to get my hands a little dirtier than i have time for now...will report back. Device is working alright on windows it seems.

thanks for MPD etc, will run that as well. I have an old 11.6 inch Samsung laptop which I wanted to repurpose as a media playing machine...what OS should I run on it, apart from MPD etc....Volumio? Daphile? Ubuntu? LUbuntu? Mint?

thanks for your guidance mr banghui. very grateful.
Install ubuntu. I will guide you step by step. After this you will have
1) ability to play tracks from Tidal, Qobuz
2) Airplay
3) spotify
4) Low latency bit perfect playback using mpd. Tidal and Qobuz will be provided by mpd.
5) ability to control music playback on the laptop using any other device or laptop

UPDATE:
Got Ubuntu 22.04, kernel 5.4 Linuz,
Topping DAC D10s is detected better and stabler on Ubuntu now.
However, nothing plays on it.
Will debug futher.
Windows is working well -- same FLAC files are playing well.
Additionally a note:
The digital display read 44.1PCM on Ubuntu 22.04 and 48 PCM when i run Windows 10, on the Topping DAC.

UPDATE:
Will debug futher.
Windows is working well -- same FLAC files are playing well.
Additionally a note:
The digital display read 44.1PCM on Ubuntu 22.04 and 48 PCM when i run Windows 10, on the Topping DAC.
Install strawberry first and go to settings and select ALSA. I will edit this post and put the screenshot later. Install it from the ubuntu software menu itself.

go to tools --> settings --> backend
Then in Output select Output to a sound card via ALSA
Then in the Device dropdown select your Topping DAC

Then select your music folder (as in second screenshot)
Screenshot from 2022-09-12 17-37-16.png

Screenshot from 2022-09-12 17-40-46.png

Last edited:
UPDATE:

Run the application "Pulse Audio Volume Control" from the multimedia section in the menu. Or you can type the folloowing command in Terminal
pavucontrol

Select the topping DAC in the drop down and increase the volume to full

Screenshot of Pulse Audio Volume Control
Screenshot from 2022-09-12 18-02-20.png

Additionally a note:
If you are using bit-perfect playback, then the display will change based on the sampling rate of the song you play. If you are using pulseaudio, then it will always show 44.1 PCM. Same holds true for windows. If the sound goes through the windows mixer then the display will show the sampling rate set in sound settings.

In windows you can use application like Jriver media center or Audio Nirvana IIRC to output sound directly to soundcard by using ASIO driver

On linux you can use applications like strawberry, gmusicbrowser, mpd, etc to output sound directly to soundcard by using ALSA driver

banghui sir, I am ready to do this today...please take out some time. I will follow your instructions in this thread given previously. Strawberry has been installed and so has MPD - MPD not successfully.

banghui sir, I am ready to do this today...please take out some time. I will follow your instructions in this thread given previously. Strawberry has been installed and so has MPD - MPD not successfully.
I will be back around 12ish.

First try strawberry and as given in the screenshots, and use ALSA. We can do chat over skype/gchat/telegram/signal etc. It will be easier because back & forth messages on hifivision becomes cumbersome beyond a point.

Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back