Using Power strip for the home theatre devices?

sunragav

Using Power strip for the home theatre devices? Is it safe?
I am from India.
I recieve electric shock from all the conducting surfaces of the devices connected to my Onkyo AV receiver(TXSR606) (via HDMI or component, eg DVD player's metal surface, Set top box metal surface, LCD TV component pin input edges etc) when it is connected through a spike buster power strip. The shock is NOT there when the Receiver is powered directly from switch board socket on the wall. What cold be the reason. Please help.

Is this a good quality power strip? With 3 pin plug?
It's ideal to use power strip with surge protection. GM and MX make good spike guards.

Most probably the earthing is not proper in your power strip. Try with another one.

How about the Belkin Economy series (6 ports) at 700 something...btw I have a MX and it works fine...more than 1.5 years now. Faced no issues...

That Belkin model maybe plain power strip without surge protection. They have models with surge protection built-in, which I guess is more expensive?

got the gm power strip with spike guard....is it good against thunder?

Nothing is safe against thunder and lightning. Though some companies claim to protect against these, a lighting could deliver any where from 20,000 to 3,00,000,000 volts (yes that is 300MV). Though it lasts only for a few milliseconds, a lightning could effectively fry everything in its path.

There are a few simple steps for protection during lightning.

1. Do not use any unnecessary electrical equipment when the skies are growling.
2. Disconnect expensive equipment such as TV, Audio and video equipment from the mains supply.
3. During the rainy season, disconnect all equipment before you go to sleep.
4. Install a effective earthing system. This means digging a 30 feet deep hole, filling it with coal, salt and sand, and sinking a long and thick copper plate which is terminated in your mains supply box. If you have three phases coming in all three must be earthed to the copper plate.

But the best strategy is to unplug all equipment and wait till the skies clear. If this means you cannot see a movie or listen to music during the rainy season, so be it. In addition, if you leave home for a few days, again unplug all equipment.

Cheers

Nothing is safe against thunder and lightning. Though some companies claim to protect against these, a lighting could deliver any where from 20,000 to 3,00,000,000 volts (yes that is 300MV). Though it lasts only for a few milliseconds, a lightning could effectively fry everything in its path.

There are a few simple steps for protection during lightning.

1. Do not use any unnecessary electrical equipment when the skies are growling.
2. Disconnect expensive equipment such as TV, Audio and video equipment from the mains supply.
3. During the rainy season, disconnect all equipment before you go to sleep.
4. Install a effective earthing system. This means digging a 30 feet deep hole, filling it with coal, salt and sand, and sinking a long and thick copper plate which is terminated in your mains supply box. If you have three phases coming in all three must be earthed to the copper plate.

But the best strategy is to unplug all equipment and wait till the skies clear. If this means you cannot see a movie or listen to music during the rainy season, so be it. In addition, if you leave home for a few days, again unplug all equipment.

Cheers

In addition to Venkat's suggestion one must also unplug the cable connections (STB,DTH,tatasky etc...). As the antenna (or amplifiers for cable based STB) is fitted externally in open space which are prone to lightning strikes.
So Unplug Cable connections too.

Cheers,
Sam

Refrigerator, Washing Machine, AC, Cooler...

When you are not at home, nothing needs to be connected except the refrigerator, the telephone if you have an answering machine, and a security system if you have one. Washing machine, A/c, coolers can all be disconnected.

In any case we are talking about expensive and precious AV equipment.

Cheers

I had seen Belkin Platinum series power strip, at around Rs. 2000. It seems, it comes with 1 lac insurance for equipment. Does it seem any helpful?

i have a belkin through which i have connected my PV8 and tatasky stb and another powerstrip from MX. Form the MX I have connected a ps2, ps3, HTPC, Onkyo 606.

Both of the powerstrips have surge protection and once they actually worked (a power fluctuation that is common in Pune) - am pretty happy with them. i did not feel a need to use stabilizers etc in the current path - too many interferences - we do not live in the 50-60s - when unrefined power was the norm so high end equipment needed stabilizers etc.

BTW since my HTPC is connected for short periods only I do not use a UPS - though my other machine that is my download rig and stays on 24/7 does use an UPS.

Order your Rega Turntables & Amplifiers from HiFiMART.com - India's reputed online dealer.
Back