Ventilation for AV Rack

Imrahn

Am looking at wood-cladding my TV wall and is intending to have a rectangular rack integrated into this,below the TV(around 5'L x 2.5'H x 2' D) so that my HT components can be accommodated.The door of the rack would be plexiglass or real glass(10-12mm) and would be slightly tinted.

Now, the dilemma is about how ventilation can be integrated into this rack.The components would be Onkyo 608,PS3 and/or X360,HTPC or if available, a media player than can bitstream HDMA/TRUHD audio.

The rack would be 1.5-2 inch thick around the periphery and at the top, a center speaker would go.So, how about a couple 120mm fans(ultra silent) towards the bottom of the rack,blowing air outwards?

Any help in this matter would be highly appreciated since both AVR and consoles need proper ventilation and is an unavoidable design factor.

Regards

Imrahn

Imrahn,

I am looking for a similar solution. Visited newly opened "The Shop" in Bandra (W). Fell in love with a teakwood unit made in Jaipur. Sadly they did not have addtional designs to show since they started a week back.

Let me know if you come across a feasible solution.

You can keep the rear side open & keep distance from rear wall.Else use a exhaust fan AC OR DC.

@SHaiju: yea, i would definitely update u if there is any progress in ma case.

@spiro: This aint a normal rack on stands bro, but rather an integrated one that sits flush into the wall.It would project outwards by around 2feet and bottom would be around a feet off the ground.Hope u got my point.

Am looking at wood-cladding my TV wall and is intending to have a rectangular rack integrated into this,below the TV(around 5'L x 2.5'H x 2' D) so that my HT components can be accommodated.The door of the rack would be plexiglass or real glass(10-12mm) and would be slightly tinted.

Now, the dilemma is about how ventilation can be integrated into this rack.The components would be Onkyo 608,PS3 and/or X360,HTPC or if available, a media player than can bitstream HDMA/TRUHD audio.

The rack would be 1.5-2 inch thick around the periphery and at the top, a center speaker would go.So, how about a couple 120mm fans(ultra silent) towards the bottom of the rack,blowing air outwards?

Any help in this matter would be highly appreciated since both AVR and consoles need proper ventilation and is an unavoidable design factor.

Regards

Imrahn

Well, I have a ps3 phat 80 gb and a marantz 5.1 avr in my rack and both run really hot, the ps3 esp while gaming and the avr esp with loud music in stereo/surround mode. Now, in case you use the ps3 and avr together, do keep in mind that the ps3 makes quite a noise, so adding ultra silent fans wont make a difference (presuming those fans will be less noisy than the ps3).
Also, do keep in mind that any fan makes more noise with increase in RPM, so go in for a larger fan which will turn at lesser RPM but will displace more air due to its larger "sweep factor" and hence give you more cooling with lesser noise.
Further, do not use both fans to throw air outwards (exhaust mode), rather use one fan to blow in air and the other to blow in air for enhanced cooling.
Ideally, install these fans midway between the ps3 and avr (you ll have to keep them adjacent ie one above the other, with at least a 2'' preferably 3" gap between the top surface of the avr and bottom surface of the ps3 ) so that they cool both, better to keep the ps3 above as it has no cooling vents on top whereas an avr has most of the vents on top. If you do not keep them together, I wont be surprised if you need two prs of fans esp for prolonged sessions.
Another option is to place the ps3 outside in 'skyscraper' mode ie standing tall instead of lying flat. It works equally well but looks better.
Also, please do not place your center spkr inside the cabinet at all or else you not only mess the sound up but also induce unnecessary vibrations to which your other eqpt gets needlessly subjected to. Also, I suggest that you use only a stereo amp for listening to music. AVRs dont get so hot with movies as its only during transient effects like gunfire, explosions, aircraft/tank noises that loudness really comes in. Gaming too gets an avr hot but nowhere as hot as with pumping music at mid/hi volumes.
Solely from the ventilation pt of view, have a detailed look at these links

Photo Sharing by MyPhotoAlbum :: trittya's MyPhotoAlbum Gallery :: My DIY stainless steel hi-fi racks and stuff

http://www.hifivision.com/diy/16860-my-diy-stainless-steel-hi-fi-racks-stuff.html

http://img811.imageshack.us/g/p1000680.jpg/
Hope this helps

Last edited:
Hi Imrahn,

I just logged in by chance (after a loooong time), and saw your post.

I have done a similar setup but with the rear of the cabinet having low noise computer fans (regulated with a DC supply) taking out "amplified"!! air. To dampen the noise, I have "screwed" them on rubberized washers and inserted rubber pipes along the rim of the fans. For the Air inlet I had kept a gap between the glass door and the shelf behind it.

Attaching some images for your reference
Hope it helps.

Kr
Raman

Attachments

• DSC08040.jpg
    DSC08040.jpg
    9 KB · Views: 220
  • DSC08036.jpg
    DSC08036.jpg
    9.3 KB · Views: 219
One more thing.
Fans at the bottom, in my opinion may not be the best idea. Usually the hot air should be exhausted out from the top of the receiver (that's where the vents are).
May be the sides. However with this, u'll may like to cover it up with some mesh (car speaker covers..) from the outside. This is likely to get blocked in some time.
Considering the amps are heavy as well..it might be a good idea to have the enclosure on the floor instead.

Kr
Raman

Hi trittya and the others.

I am getting my V rack delivered this weekend. Its 5 ft long. 2.5 ft high and 1.5 ft deep.
Its of the design 2 rows by 3 colums. 6 shelves in all
the left most and right most pairs of shelves will be having glass doors and the center is open.

I will be keeping the AVR in one of the closed door shelves.

I also need to figure out about the openings at the rear of the AV rack for air circulation.
Currently there is only one opening thru which all the HDMI, Speaker wires and power cable will be exiting.

Thats in the center of the rear wall of the shelf.

I was wondering if I can keep something like this below, on top of my DENON 1911 and since there is enough room above the AVR to breath, will it be enough to keep it cool?

USB Cooling Pad Laptop Stand Cooler 7" Big Fan FreeShip | eBay

For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back