Vertical lines on my Optoma HD20

navinmra

Folks -
I've been using an Optoma HD20 for about 60 hours with stunning results. I finally setup my home theater and mounted it on the ceiling. The other day I tried to adjut the PJ position to align the image on the screen and I started getting thin vertical lines on the screen. Its one pixel thick black line that runs the entire height. There are about 15 odd lines spaced 2" apart across the entire screen.
I turned of the PJ and checked the next morning and the lines were gone. The next time I turned it on, they were back.
A day later, I turned on the PJ and the lines were back, but they went away on thier own after a few minutes of viewing.
When the lines come on, its irrespective of source and even when there's no signal.
Question:
1. Could my adjusting the PJ have inadvertantly caused mechanical failure somewhere? I think these DLP boxes are very sturdy and since I've not bumped it or dropped it, I suspect mere hand adjustments cannot be the cause.
2. Is this a firmware issue which I can resolve by simply upgrading the firmware (through the service port? Is it user upgradable?)
3. Could there be a grounding problem that has caused this?
4. Can I use a voltage stabilizer/ power conditioner/ spike buster to clean up the power if thats what's causing the problem?

Thanks for helping me here... Its a $1000 purchase and with less than 60 hrs on the lamp, I just dont want a DMD failure!
Regards,
navinmra

Thanks kapvin.
I turned it on last night and there were no lines! so I just hope that was a bad dream :)
navinmra

you are welcome.

make sure that the powercable is securely fastened. unclean power can create a nightmare that you would really not want. if the cable is fine, check the wall connection.

I assume you have some amount of power conditioning between the wall socket and the PJ?

what kind of lines where they , is it the kind that u get when there is bad voltage/fluctuation on a tv ----then it cud be some electrical interference

if u say that it comes and goes u cud also suspect some kind of dust/foriegn body inside the PJ which cud come and go as and when the fan inside the PJ functions

what kind of lines where they , is it the kind that u get when there is bad voltage/fluctuation on a tv ----then it cud be some electrical interference

if u say that it comes and goes u cud also suspect some kind of dust/foriegn body inside the PJ which cud come and go as and when the fan inside the PJ functions

subhash, i think the Optoma has a sealed light path.

It's probably electrical interference, or a defective power cable.

if you get the lines again, try unmounting the pj and using the original cable for a bit and see if the problem persists

of course, the worst case is a manufacturing defect (though unlike to show up after 60hrs, most times they show up int he first few hours).. NavinMRA, did you buy with an Indian waranty?

Well no I did not buy it with the India warranty - I walked into B&H in New York and picked it up.
So I'm going to do exactly what you guys said - check on the power cable. I may have tugged it inadvertantly. Put my old spike buster back, check for any foreign body that the fan is throwing around and come back to you with results.
As for now, the piece worked fine and I am hoping as long as I leave the cords untouched, I am doing good.
Thanks guys - great to have so many of you come in with your tips. Feels like home on this forum!

Just ensure that the power and hdmi cables are not running next to each other as it may cause interference also. If the issue reoccurs, disconnect all the input cables and just leave the power cable connected as it will help you in isolating the issue.

Also from personal experience use the power cable the came with the projector as local cables may not work, when i got my PJ it would turn on green light will come and go off. As soon as i switched to original cable the problem went away.

Folks I seem to have solved the problem - at least for now. I called the Optoma service center and explained the problem and that it was an on and off recurrence. He suspected a color wheel problem. I dismounted the PJ and heard some strange noise like a loose screw going around in the PJ... I suppose it was touching the color wheel and causing the problem. I tilted the PJ around till I heard no noise and reconnected the PJ and voila! no vertical lines!
I know I need to someday open the PJ at the service center and remove this foreign object but for now the problem is gone
I also managed to calibrate the PJ with settings I picked up on projectorreviews.com and the PJ is performing brilliantly for the money!

Also, the promptness of the Optoma service center guy in Bangalore in diagnosing the problem over the phone makes me believe that Optoma owners are in safe hands.
I am not sure about other brands but for now Optoma HD20 is value for money.

Also, the promptness of the Optoma service center guy in Bangalore in diagnosing the problem over the phone makes me believe that Optoma owners are in safe hands.
I am not sure about other brands but for now Optoma HD20 is value for money.

it cud be helpful if you provide contact details of the optoma service center in bangalore

thanks in advance

It would be beneficial to other Optoma users if you could provide the contact details and other information regarding their support and service in Bangalore.

Sorry for the misformatting. The address is
Digicomp Complete Solutions Ltd
#53/58,Sri Chakravarthi Complex Sajjan Rao Circle,
V.V. Puram Bangalore-560004
TEL?+98800 46285
Contact?Mr.Prashanth
[email protected]
INDIA

The Optoma website link is ::: Welcome to Optoma Asia :::

The calibration settings can be found at Optoma HD20 Projector Calibration

Remember - no two calibrators will give you the same setting. The out of box setting of the HD20 is not bad at all so you may be disappointed if the settings in this review dont show a dramatic improvement. I suggest stay with a setting long enough to know what you are getting and what you are missing.
Happy watching!

Here you go guys:
VV PURAM BANGALORE / Digicomp Complete Solutions Ltd #53/58,Sri Chakravarthi Complex Sajjan Rao Circle,V.V. Puram Bangalore-560004
TEL?+9880046285
Contact?Mr.Prashanth
[email protected]
INDIA

The website is ::: Welcome to Optoma Asia :::

Oh Ok....Digicomp. I have been to this place many moons ago as they were the authorised service center for Samsung Flatron Monitors.

Eventhough the issue is resolved temporarily, its better get it to the service center and take out the loose part as it can make unexpected damages like damaging the color wheel / short circuits in the pcb if it is a metal piece etc.

Eventhough the issue is resolved temporarily, its better get it to the service center and take out the loose part as it can make unexpected damages like damaging the color wheel / short circuits in the pcb if it is a metal piece etc.

If it ain't broken don't fix it. Thats what i will recommend. If it's working fine now don't fiddle with it.

As moving it around and opening it for service . Somehow i don't feel comfortable with all those things. As you may end up having an issue after disturbing it rather than leaving it the way it is now as it is working fine.

Also the product does not carry India warranty, which will complicate things further.

That's really what I am going to do - leave it untouched. I checked a couple of times if the fan is blowing that loose piece around especially when the PJ is turning off but nothing happened. I suppose when its time to change the bulb is when I will see "WHERE" the loose part is!

Folks I seem to have solved the problem - at least for now. I called the Optoma service center and explained the problem and that it was an on and off recurrence. He suspected a color wheel problem. I dismounted the PJ and heard some strange noise like a loose screw going around in the PJ... I suppose it was touching the color wheel and causing the problem. I tilted the PJ around till I heard no noise and reconnected the PJ and voila! no vertical lines!
I know I need to someday open the PJ at the service center and remove this foreign object but for now the problem is gone
I also managed to calibrate the PJ with settings I picked up on projectorreviews.com and the PJ is performing brilliantly for the money!
I had the same EXACT problem. Had mine ceiling mounted and I pulled down from the ground trying to adjust and the lines showed up. I took it off and heard a rattling, so I took the lamp out and took the cover off but didn't see any screws or anything. Shook it up after disconnecting and reconnecting the lamp and didn't hear the rattle anymore. Turned it back on and the lines were gone...
My question is did you ever have the issue again?

Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back