Vincent SV 237 Mk2/ SV 228 models

Thanks Phew, had considered both especially Unico Primo but wanted tone controls and do not want to add any additional component for eq. Plus HTbypass and subwoofer connection was a prerequisite since I have an avr.
Good morning again Nitin :)

Though HT bypass input is a must, in my experience, I could never get the Sub woofer out to work well in 2 channel. I tried similar with a parasound halo integrated long back. It had both phase, level and crossover controls at the back for the sub. For HT as the sub was calibrated through the AVR it was okay. But for pure 2 channel, I could never get the sub to integrate properly. It would sound okay on one track, then bloaty or starved on the other. So maybe best to leave the sub connected to the AVR directly, but if you want 2 channel use as well, then maybe a Rel with speaker level inputs might be easier to integrate. Just my 2 cents.

Edit : Iam now of the opinion, that to integrate a sub properly, one either needs subs with speaker level inputs like Rel, or dsp of some sort like the several minidsp's etc.
Plugging a sub from a pure preamp source didnt work for me atleast, and I tried for almost one year till I gave up eventually. But then I was limited to only 2 locations for the sub, as it was a living room system. Maybe with more placement flexibility it could have been made to work, but I didnt have that option.

Last edited:
Good morning again Nitin :)

Though HT bypass input is a must, in my experience, I could never get the Sub woofer out to work well in 2 channel. I tried similar with a parasound halo integrated long back. It had both phase, level and crossover controls at the back for the sub. For HT as the sub was calibrated through the AVR it was okay. But for pure 2 channel, I could never get the sub to integrate properly. It would sound okay on one track, then bloaty or starved on the other. So maybe best to leave the sub connected to the AVR directly, but if you want 2 channel use as well, then maybe a Rel with speaker level inputs might be easier to integrate. Just my 2 cents.
Good afternoon Manu, thanks again for your valuable input.
Issue is, I have the very small bookshelf, Dali Oberon 1 which due to space constraint are wall mounted & lack bass to a large extent for which I need a sub for stereo listening.
I do have a Rel HT sub but they don't come with the high level connections , only Lfe.
Let's see how it goes .

I had shortlisted O&B(Aniket Das), Marantz 40n(after the price falls) & the Vincent, will wait if something else also comes up.
Also check out Naim Atom HE (Heaphone Edition) and your can pair it with any power amp.
It would be more then your budget, however you will get streamer, DAC and preamp.

Also check out Naim Atom HE (Heaphone Edition) and your can pair it with any power amp.
It would be more then your budget, however you will get streamer, DAC and preamp.
Thanks Jigar, that's beyond my budget but a good option though. I am ok if it does not come with a streamer since my avr has it.

Good afternoon Manu, thanks again for your valuable input.
Issue is, I have the very small bookshelf, Dali Oberon 1 which due to space constraint are wall mounted & lack bass to a large extent for which I need a sub for stereo listening.
I do have a Rel HT sub but they don't come with the high level connections , only Lfe.
Let's see how it goes .
oh okay...well understood...and good afternoon to you too :)

If ever there was a post tempting me to buy another tube amp, yours takes the cake for bringing me closest to pulling the trigger 🤣. And before I even realize it, Iam already drooling at all the pics of the R800i with their glorious glowing tubes on the net. Off to get a towel now.
I'm sure its not the be all end all amp that I may have inadvertently projected it as - which makes the context that much more important - it is unbelievably good for the price at around 2L which is the price range @Nitin K was budgeting. The clincher is that i got it cheaper than the online prices so there's that as well. 😁

Now with you in the context i.e. having regard to your existing/earlier gear, the scenario would be quite different but not unlike what i felt when i heard the Aiyima T9 - admirable, nay brilliant for the price but nothing that'll make me swap out my existing gear.

I'm sure its not the be all end all amp that I may have inadvertently projected it as - which makes the context that much more important - it is unbelievably good for the price at around 2L which is the price range @Nitin K was budgeting. The clincher is that i got it cheaper than the online prices so there's that as well. 😁

Now with you in the context i.e. having regard to your existing/earlier gear, the scenario would be quite different but not unlike what i felt when i heard the Aiyima T9 - admirable, nay brilliant for the price but nothing that'll make me swap out my existing gear.
haha...you are over estimating my humble setup. Iam sure I'd be delighted with the R800i :)

As much as Id like everyone to sample the tube sound atleast once, including @Nitin K. Thought Id add two disclaimers. Tube life and heat are very real. Having tubes in the preamp stage is alright. But having them in the power stage, especially big tubes like 300's and 805's in the Wilsenten R800i will dissipate a lot of heat. And in Indian climate, except in winters, will necessitate a AC if the room is anything but large.

The second is getting replacement tubes in India. Most of my purchases within India, have resulted in close to 10% failure rate of the tubes on arrival. And we cant even expect a refund. Basic tubes like EL34 and KT88's are still possible, but anything else, we have to import. My retubing costs for all the tube amps this year was significant. And I just bought entry level tubes from the maker and nothing exotic. And I hand carried them back, so thats without even factoring shipping and customs if imported.

Both the above factors necessitate a hard rethink in my opinion. And in our market, I would only suggest tube amps as secondary but never the primary amps for continuous usage. It is nice to listen to them once in a while or to end off a session on a pleasant note. But running hard for a few hours everyday, will cost both in electricity and tubes. I realized this late, and now have SS amps for primary duties, with tubes relegated to the special days.

As much as Id like everyone to sample the tube sound atleast once, including @Nitin K. Thought Id add two disclaimers. Tube life and heat are very real. Having tubes in the preamp stage is alright. But having them in the power stage, especially big tubes like 300's and 805's in the Wilsenten R800i will dissipate a lot of heat. And in Indian climate, except in winters, will necessitate a AC if the room is anything but large.

The second is getting replacement tubes in India. Most of my purchases within India, have resulted in close to 10% failure rate of the tubes on arrival. And we cant even expect a refund. Basic tubes like EL34 and KT88's are still possible, but anything else, we have to import. My retubing costs for all the tube amps this year was significant. And I just bought entry level tubes from the maker and nothing exotic. And I hand carried them back, so thats without even factoring shipping and customs if imported.

Both the above factors necessitate a hard rethink in my opinion. And in our market, I would only suggest tube amps as secondary but never the primary amps for continuous usage. It is nice to listen to them once in a while or to end off a session on a pleasant note. But running hard for a few hours everyday, will cost both in electricity and tubes. I realized this late, and now have SS amps for primary duties, with tubes relegated to the special days.
Thnx again Manu, that's a very practical point. I had forgotten to ask about the heat factor considering our hot and humid weather in general.
Assuming tubes in the pre stage won't dissipate huge amt of heat as you have mentioned, hence preferred the hybrid type. Definitely am not looking for tubes in the power stage.
Would surely look forward to hearing tubes if possible before buying.

Thats quite right. The R800i radiates huge amounts of heat. I leave the AC on at all times but at the lowest fan speed and it has no problem maintaining whatever temperature i set it at insofar as the solid state gear is concerned (1 PC, 1 Class A/B Amp, 2 Subs - others are inconsequential). However, with the Wilsenton in action, the temperature rises by a good 1-2 degrees and i have to switch to auto to let the AC manage the fan speed in order to maintain the temp. Not too bad a thing for the delhi winters though 😄 .

Thats quite right. The R800i radiates huge amounts of heat. I leave the AC on at all times but at the lowest fan speed and it has no problem maintaining whatever temperature i set it at insofar as the solid state gear is concerned (1 PC, 1 Class A/B Amp, 2 Subs - others are inconsequential). However, with the Wilsenton in action, the temperature rises by a good 1-2 degrees and i have to switch to auto to let the AC manage the fan speed in order to maintain the temp. Not too bad a thing for the delhi winters though 😄 .
haha...imagine my plight sitting 7 feet from them in a small room without AC in Hyderabadi heat. The entire room gets toasty like a Sauna. And by the time the tubes warm up and are in the zone, the searing heat is literally unbearable.

Thus, want to go class D for primary listening. Can add a tube preamp to get that slight flavour, though it will be far from the full monty of an all tube setup, but will be more enjoyable as a whole.

Does anyone have the experience of using an audio A/B switch? Does it degrade SQ? I have a stereo pre amp with a subwoofer pre out and an AVR with a sub pre out. Currently, the AVR sub pre out alone is connected to the subwoofer. I would like to connect both the sub sources to the sub and switch them when needed. The subwoofer is a REL HT and does not have speaker level inputs.
Thanks.

Very good performer,got an oppurtunity to listen VIncent sv237 paired with opera callas
Hi John,

I presume it is the MK2 version of SV 237 which is out of my budget. Although sound is subjective, but how is the sound signature of the Vincent as there aren't too many reviews and none to audition in Mumbai.
By any chance did you get the opportunity to listen to the SV 228. Thank you.

Rgs,
Nitin

Hi John,

I presume it is the MK2 version of SV 237 which is out of my budget. Although sound is subjective, but how is the sound signature of the Vincent as there aren't too many reviews and none to audition in Mumbai.
By any chance did you get the opportunity to listen to the SV 228. Thank you.

Rgs,
Nitin
Nope, But i think its excellent pick for that money, its available in chennai for demo.

You can look into Unison research due almost same specs if you not bothered about looks, you will get high quality Italian made amp.
Thanks a lot for your reply John. Both are supposed to be very good. But I prefer an amp with tone controls hence leaning towards Vincent. Apparently the build quality as the few reviews hve found is good.

@Nitin K ...just bumped into another review in German of the SV 228. Happy reading with google transalate :)

Thanks a lot Manu, for sending the link. I did translate it and has a very positive review especially of the dac which was mediocre on the SV 500.
"Vielen Dank" again my friend for taking the trouble.😊

Check out our special offers on Stereo Package & Bundles for all budget types.
Back