Vintage gear in old Delhi

wishihadtubes

Visited a guy in old Delhi today (after finding him through an advt on Olx) as he claimed he had several Technics SL 1200 turntables and other vintage gear. After making my way through several narrow alleys, walked up two flights of narrow steps to this guy's house and was led into a room with a pile of vintage gear.
The first thing that caught my attention was a Garrard 401 in a SME plinth with SME arm. The guy said it was for his personal use and not for sale. It was in excellent condition.
And then things went all downhill from there. The guy obviously had some knowledge of vintage gear but very rudimentary. He began mouthing big names like Conrad Johnson (which he pronounced as Cunard Johnson) and Bob Carver and showed me a Phase Linear 4000 preamp in pretty good nick, for which he wanted Rs 25,000 (though it goes on ebay for about half that).
He showed me a Technics SL 1200 MK 1 (for which he wanted Rs 35,000) and a SL 1200 MK 5 (which he wanted to sell for much less). Guy claimed that MK 5 did not come with a dust cover (I know it was sold with a magnetic dust cover). Most folks say the MK 1 is nowhere as good as the later SL 1200s as it has a crappy arm and a motor that's not really great.
Wasted an hour with the guy and still have no turntable. Moral of the story: Don't get taken in by all online advts.

Ouch, Anil, you know how to shatter a man's hopes! I had Lakhwant lined up for a visit next Sunday. This gent is a different guy. Mr Singh is in West Delhi. This guy was in Old Delhi, near Turkman Gate, equally avoidable.
Also had a pile of LPs that he was selling for Rs 300 each. Claimed they were all "foreign made". First LP that I picked from pile was pressed at the old EMI factor in Dum Dum, Calcutta.

aaah...I have heard of a similar person in Ghatkopar in Mumbai....

He thrives on dealing with enthusiastic but newbies into the world of music.

He says factually incorrect things and sings praises of the junk he passes off as good pieces.
When one talks with him and you peel the first layer of the onion by asking something particular(which lets him know that you know what you are talking of) to the system being hawked, the seller will abruptly change his attitude and lose interest to sell...

Jawed

I had Lakhwant lined up for a visit next Sunday.

Exorbitantly prices everything he sells. A couple of months back I visited him. He was expecting 2000 for a used jazz record:lol: He also has lots of players. All priced exotically, of course.

Exorbitantly prices everything he sells. A couple of months back I visited him. He was expecting 2000 for a used jazz record:lol: He also has lots of players. All priced exotically, of course.

He is currently trying to sell off a Marantz 1180 dc integrated amp @ 15K. Not a bad deal ONLY IF the amp is in a pristine condition.

I also visited at Lakhwant residence some time back. I saw lot of vintage stuff there, but the price he was asking was much more than usual price. I could not make any deal. I will also suggest forum members to avoid this person.

Visited a guy in old Delhi today (after finding him through an advt on Olx) as he claimed he had several Technics SL 1200 turntables and other vintage gear. After making my way through several narrow alleys, walked up two flights of narrow steps to this guy's house and was led into a room with a pile of vintage gear.
The first thing that caught my attention was a Garrard 401 in a SME plinth with SME arm. The guy said it was for his personal use and not for sale. It was in excellent condition.
And then things went all downhill from there. The guy obviously had some knowledge of vintage gear but very rudimentary. He began mouthing big names like Conrad Johnson (which he pronounced as Cunard Johnson) and Bob Carver and showed me a Phase Linear 4000 preamp in pretty good nick, for which he wanted Rs 25,000 (though it goes on ebay for about half that).
He showed me a Technics SL 1200 MK 1 (for which he wanted Rs 35,000) and a SL 1200 MK 5 (which he wanted to sell for much less). Guy claimed that MK 5 did not come with a dust cover (I know it was sold with a magnetic dust cover). Most folks say the MK 1 is nowhere as good as the later SL 1200s as it has a crappy arm and a motor that's not really great.
Wasted an hour with the guy and still have no turntable. Moral of the story: Don't get taken in by all online advts.

Thanks for sharing this mate! But thats the bitter truth with such dealers. Pity to see a 401 and the 1200s with such guys...They deserve better hands :indifferent14:

Ironically, you get such similar guys in every state!!! I know a few such dealers here in Bangalore who have no clue on what record players are and their prices for equipment which is close to pathetic are priced over the roof!! I met these dealers when I taking my first steps into Vinyl and instinctively noticed I was being close to getting conned, I backed out. That was the last I ever saw of them and never intend to see them ever again!!!

Record Player
My heart bleeds knowing that there's a Garrard 401 with an original SME plinth lying with this idiot. He actually used his fingertip to "clean" a stylus while playing a record for me on the SL1200 Mk 1.
C'est la vie.

Record Player
My heart bleeds knowing that there's a Garrard 401 with an original SME plinth lying with this idiot. He actually used his fingertip to "clean" a stylus while playing a record for me on the SL1200 Mk 1.
C'est la vie.

What!!! In Vinyl world he needs to be charged with the 302 Offense "Murder".

my experience with Lakhwant

models offered:

Ex-AIR EMT 938 - Rs.65k (heavily customized, was more like a hybrid of parts from other TTs). Was selling with what he called original EMT arm w/o headshell and cart. Also the plinth was drilled for mounting another tonearm. This is the Meltron version made for All India Radio with a scratch filter.
Garrard 301 with SME 3009 - Rs.80k (apparently customized with non-standard parts)
Thorens TD124 with a very heavy plinth but w/o tonearm - 70k (this was earlier on sale by Ranjeet Singh another audiophile, from Gurgoan for 44k w/o tonearm).
Technics SL1200 Mk2 - 55k
Garrard 4HF - 18k (condition was pathetic, looked like a rat eaten a part of the turntable mat)

Anyways, was not going to buy anything from him but was very keen to see if I could strike some sort of deal. He is very hard on pricing and simply will not negotiate. I prefer to buy and bring in, from the United States, UK or Australia.

Want to spend some more time with my SL3200 before an upgrade comes my way. This "some more time" will cover:

1) recovery after a huge investment in my new home
2) a new job assignment, probably abroad

Last edited:
Lakhwant has a lot of stuff... but in junk condition... and usually want prices that are higher than Agon!

Most people in Delhi simply avoid him....

While we're on this subject, is there any reputable person dealing with vintage gear in Delhi - someone who knows his stuff and offers reasonable prices? Responses would be appreciated.

He showed me a Technics SL 1200 MK 1 (for which he wanted Rs 35,000) and a SL 1200 MK 5 (which he wanted to sell for much less). Guy claimed that MK 5 did not come with a dust cover (I know it was sold with a magnetic dust cover).

Slightly OT: what, is any, is/are the sonic/mechanical differences between 1200 Mark II and Mark V? Which one is considered superior?

I trust forum members more for vintage gears than any of these dealers. I don't think that there is a even single reliable dealer of such gear in Delhi.

Slightly OT: what, is any, is/are the sonic/mechanical differences between 1200 Mark II and Mark V? Which one is considered superior?

I have heard that SL1200 with original TPA tonearm is superior to SL 1200 Mark II in sonics. Mechanically, the motor is very much heavier in SL-1200 and has no ICs but only transistors. I have heard from friends that Mark II is kept with more respect than Mark V. I am not sure why they think so.

Join WhatsApp group to get HiFiMART.com Offers & Deals delivered to your smartphone!
Back