vinyl storage / shelving racks

Sir in Mumbai I had glass doors. In Chennai, I have an open shelf because there is no dust where I live.

Opinions please, thanks

IMO doors are necessary, whether it be for books or vinyl. This is irrespective of whether you have outer sleeves or not. Either a door, or a top cover if you have slide-out boxes. I used to look at photos of vinyl collections from abroad - beautifully arranged in open shelves, and used to think I can do the same. Sadly, not possible unless I migrate :)

Dust, the heat, and humidity - these three are the biggest killers in Indian weather even though the amounts vary from city to city and the effect takes different times to show up.

A secondary, but not necessarily minor, cultural factor is that people - visitors, relatives, friends - start touching things without asking :) Grime, dirt, skin oils - all add to the toll. A door stops all that.

While searching for wooden storage racks, I come across this simple and vintage style Rack. Going by dimensions, the Rack almost looks like made for Vinyl storage. Either I have not purchased anything from this website previously or intend to purchase. I no way affiliated to this site. But wanted share the link so it may help Vinyl lovers looking for an wood finish Rack which can match their interiors or wood finish towers.

Im in need of additional storage for me Records. Don't have space to have any floor racks or storage. Needs to be wall mounted.

I'm thinking a basic plywood 4 open shelf say 14" x 14" and stain the Ply for a natural wood finish to match my speaker stands. Will have a carpenter get this done. Needs to clamp well as each shelf will accommodate about 100 Records and will be quite heavy.

Any design suggestions?

Use the same design with 19 mm ply as back. Use 2 inch or longer screws for fixing on the wall. Maybe two per shelf.
You can put as much weight as you want.

After moving into the new house wifey didn't want any floor space occupied with Vinyls. So got a wall mount done in the listening room which also doubles up as a lobby and TV room. Got the idea off the internet and sat down with the carpenter and explained him the details.

Just keep the Vinyls which i listen to regularly on this shelf. Looks simple has a small footprint and can hold 80 Vinyls on each rack.(20 in each section) With space to flip the Vinyls for easy access. Every month , some go back to the main storage room and new ones adorn their space. :D

Here are some pictures.

Vinyl01.jpegVinyl2.jpegVinyl3.jpeg

Last edited:
Im in need of additional storage for me Records. Don't have space to have any floor racks or storage. Needs to be wall mounted.

I'm thinking a basic plywood 4 open shelf say 14" x 14" and stain the Ply for a natural wood finish to match my speaker stands. Will have a carpenter get this done. Needs to clamp well as each shelf will accommodate about 100 Records and will be quite heavy.

Any design suggestions?
How many records do you want storage for?

After moving into the new house wifey didn't want any floor space occupied with Vinyls. So got a wall mount done in the listening room which also doubles up as a lobby and TV room. Got the idea off the internet and sat down with the carpenter and explained him the details.

Just keep the Vinyls which i listen to regularly on this shelf. Looks simple has a small footprint and can hold 80 Vinyls on each rack.(20 in each section) With space to flip the Vinyls for easy access. Every month , some go back to the main storage room and new ones adorn their space. :D

Here are some pictures.
This is fantastic Harry. If I may ask, could you share some more detail on the material, dimensions etc if I have to replicate the same?

Stage 1, 2 and 3. Maybe. Just keep adding cubes.
Just open cubic boxes. Around 50 LPs per box. Plus the open space can be used too.
For CDs, have some with doors and a shelf. Storage in the door too so you get four rows of CDs.
You will get 100 odd CDs per cube.
Like some bar cabinets. I have seen a beautiful antique like cabinet at Siva's place used for CDs.

Stage 1.jpgStage 2.jpgStage 3.jpg

Great idea ! With a bit of organising, will surely look fantastic.

Also see a BLUE NOTE book. Is that on Blue Note Pressings?
Yes. With the prices of them, I can atleast look at the covers in a book.

If you have furnishings that are very fine and luxe (which I don't actually), a bit of reclaimed wood can look really good. :) You are right about organising part, I could tidy up a bit. Haha

This is fantastic Harry. If I may ask, could you share some more detail on the material, dimensions etc if I have to replicate the same?
Hi Record Player, we used Century Plywood which was surplus and left over from the construction, and the finish was done using Black Satin paint. I will try to locate the drawings and the link from where i got the idea to make this shelf.

Cheers

Back