vinyl storage / shelving racks

Kallax is the perfect size for LPs. I use these pull out boxes with it - https://www.ikea.com/in/en/p/lekman-box-white-30247137/

The Kallax looks good. However, particle board is being used and can it take the heavy load of Records when mounted on the wall?
Particle Board less than 1/2" thickness may not take big load, but again it depends on which Brand of Particle board they are using, its density and bonding chemical. That can be ensured only if we are building the boxes on our own.

Second point is the method of joining. Joining method is having larger impact on life of the furniture and whether it is subject to movements.

These particular products are meant for online sales and easy to transport. As such these will come in pieces wherein the buyer has to assemble with the fasteners they have provided. It would be a easy way of joining, keeping in mind the common people, non-techies and no need of tools except a screw driver or an Allen key provided along with the set. So, naturally this can not be strong and long lasting joints. But good for make-shift like of things. The main factor for choosing it for aesthetics and as a readymade solution. It again depends on the buyer, durability he is looking after and the purpose.

IMO better to build own cabinet with selected plywood, finishing and fastening method with the help of carpenter, particularly if it is Wall mount for Vinyl storage.

Last edited:
Particle Board less than 1/2" thickness may not take big load, but again it depends on which Brand of Particle board they are using, its density and bonding chemical. That can be ensured only if we are building the boxes on our own.

Second point is the method of joining. Joining method is having larger impact on life of the furniture and whether it is subject to movements.

These particular products are meant for online sales and easy to transport. As such these will come in pieces wherein the buyer has to assemble with the fasteners they have provided. It would be a easy way of joining, keeping in mind the common people, non-techies and no need of tools except a screw driver or an Allen key provided along with the set. So, naturally this can not be strong and long lasting joints. But good for make-shift like of things. The main factor for choosing it for aesthetics and as a readymade solution. It again depends on the buyer, durability he is looking after and the purpose.

IMO better to build own cabinet with selected plywood, finishing and fastening method with the help of carpenter, particularly if it is for Vinyl storage.
You can use this box as well with Kallax

IMO better to build own cabinet with selected plywood, finishing and fastening method with the help of carpenter, particularly if it is Wall mount for Vinyl storage.
True. Getting European Grade HDF is difficult here especially at that price point.

Best here would be to build one plus this is not a very complex build.

Cheers

Nice optioins, a quick query - given the dust and atmospheric conditions in India, is open or enclosed storage better? I have always stored my LPs in an unused vintage teak cupboard with a door, but was also considering the wall mounted option.

This is fantastic Harry. If I may ask, could you share some more detail on the material, dimensions etc if I have to replicate the same?
Hi Record Player, here is the link to the Bloggers site where you can download the drawings in PDF Format

Nice optioins, a quick query - given the dust and atmospheric conditions in India, is open or enclosed storage better? I have always stored my LPs in an unused vintage teak cupboard with a door, but was also considering the wall mounted option.

We are the dust capital of the world. I am soo used to deep cleaning my house with a vacuum every month. My primary record storage has a glass door and yet dust seems to enter. I am exploring wall mount options with a push to open glass door for dust protection.

We are the dust capital of the world. I am soo used to deep cleaning my house with a vacuum every month. My primary record storage has a glass door and yet dust seems to enter. I am exploring wall mount options with a push to open glass door for dust protection.
Every Month? You must be in the cleanest place in India.

Hi Record Player, here is the link to the Bloggers site where you can download the drawings in PDF Format

Thanks. Had a look at the video and not a very complicated build. So nice to see pople abroad have setups like these for woodworking. I so wish I could build a setup like this here.

So now I have this design as one option and the other the traditional cubes with push to open glass doors. Lets see what the missus has to say and approve ;)

Yes that’s a Redwine Audio amp ... and the monitor speakers connected to them are Omega Alnico 8 .. the ones at the back are the Audire Callistoes .. which I have connected to a small Japanese amp called Musica ..

The Kallax looks good. However, particle board is being used and can it take the heavy load of Records when mounted on the wall?
I'm not sure if the Kallax is meant to be mounted on the wall, at least I don't know if anybody has tried :) The smallest one with 4 squares measures 30x30 inches. The thickness of the enclosing boards is 1.5 inch while the dividers are 0.5 inch thick.

A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back