Visiting Hong Kong. Anything to check out & any FM there?

captrajesh

Staff member
I'm visiting Hong Kong and Macau with family on holiday on 1st/ 2nd week of next month.

I can squeeze out sometime to check out anything audio and video. Any pointers are welcome.

Are there any members to catch up there?

Go to Sai Yeung Choi South Street, Mongkok. The second or third to last building (Tim Chi Commercial Building) has multiple audio dealers. You can check out Ref 3A, Ayre, T+A, Jadis etc. No big signboards, you can easily miss it...IIRC, there is a optician's sign in the same building. It has a very narrow entrance with some signage once you are a couple of steps into it...

You can also visit China Club Audio & Video, 10/F., Yau Shing Comm. Centre 51, Sai Yeung Choi Street. He as stuff like Harbeth, Manley, Sugden etc. but won't entertain without a prior appointment (or so he said to me :( )

Captain,
Sine is Hong Kong based. They have a lot of power conditioners, power distributors, power cords and interconnects. I have not been so I do not know where they are but Google shows they are in Mongkok. Check them out. Their build/sound quality (of power conditioners) is exceptional and some of them are not too expensive.
Cheers,
Sid

Thanks for the pointers guys, will surely check them out. Wish there's a local FM whose local knowledge would come in handy.

Sine is Hong Kong based. They have a lot of power conditioners, power distributors, power cords and interconnects. I have not been so I do not know where they are but Google shows they are in Mongkok. Check them out. Their build/sound quality (of power conditioners) is exceptional and some of them are not too expensive.

They must be heavy isn't it? Will try to check them out for sure.

Last edited:
Considering present conditions in India , I think you should focus on picking up good music !
Everything else has a decent solution here at similar or better prices !
We do not get a great selection of music here. You can check the reviews of great albums suiting your taste in music, on the Web. Then go and buy it after listening to it. You can't do that here very easily.

Maybe pick up tubes, capacitors and sockets for a tube pre amp ? Only 2 tubes required ! Alps Volume control and RCA plated sockets !

If you already have a good power amp then you do not need to carry another heavy item back ! If it's tubed, you could try to get a set of new tubes for them. Check the Net to see what guys recommend.
A Chinese solid state power amp kit might be worth it. Most sound good as they are based on tried and tested designs. They don't cost much.

Unless you are having mains power supply problems , would you really like to invest in such devices ? If your system already sounds very good you probably need to invest a LOT more to improve it a little bit ! But I bet you can achieve a lot locally by careful thought with very little outlay ! Remember the Holy Grail is only a 'mirage' ! :)

Maybe you can look at DSD capable DAC's ! That sounds interesting. Plenty of good Chinese ones around. Or TEAC or others that you can audition.
Maybe a Bluray player as a source ? But that would not be DSD capable and worth it only if you like Music video's too. It would be good if you can access the Net on your trip. You can cross check everything you are looking at.

My focus would always be on Music. Both CD and DVD based.
I always try to minimise weight while traveling. It's a pain carrying heavy things around.

You may be a seasoned traveler already. Never buy equipment the first time you see it and like it ! The next day you will find something better and at a lower price ! I always buy ( if possible) only a few days before departure ! By that time you get a bit familiar about what your options are , based on cost and performance AND your need for it ! You will need to take down notes in a book or Phone Notepad ( better!) ! You may not remember every single detail the next day and also might forget to carry the note book !

Have a great time. :)
Cheers.

Apiliu Street

Reach there by around 11am. Have a look around for an hour and short-list who is having what. Take a break for lunch at one of the food joint. Then make a strategy, assess what you want from what is available and then go to the specific place. Bargain well but to a point as beyond that the seller will just call it off. The market itself start shutting down by 5pm

What you will find:

- Its a DIYer heaven. Tube, caps, ironware, plugs, RCA, pots, speaker, interconnects. Chassis, CKD kits...the works. There are a million of small pigeon holes selling the obscurest of things.

- Old and vintage audio. You will find vintage McIntosh, Marantz, Dynaco, Sansui, etc stacked ceiling high. Old turntables, carts, speakers. I had picked up my R2R from one of the kiosks. But most of these are expensive with minimum or no bargain. You really need to spot a good deal. The bigger shops also undertake service warranty. Thus they only sell what they thinks is good and serviceable. In most cases they would have refurbished and tested the wares.

- Tools and equipments: From most basic to the most advanced. I had picked up a used Function Generator, Dual Channel Oscope and a True RMS meter from one shop. All made in Japan by LEADER and in perfect condition. All three for less than INR 6000.

My first visit was in late 90s and the last was in 2011. There has been lot of changes as supplies are getting thinner. But I believe it is still the best place in HK for the things as listed above.

Its a full day expedition so the missus may not share the enthusiasm. Its better to deposit the family in another more mainstream shopping district for the duration. Or you can organise them to meet you up around 6pm at Apili Street and together move to Temple Street Night market about 4km away where you will get the quintessential HK bargain. Finish off with a dinner of claypot seafood, noodle and Tsingtao pilsner from one of the hawkers.

Bliss !

I think you should focus on picking up good music !
Thanks for the suggestion but I already have enough and more. I have scores of CDs in my collection that I've sampled for sure but yet to listen fully.

Maybe pick up tubes, capacitors and sockets for a tube pre amp ? Only 2 tubes required ! Alps Volume control and RCA plated sockets !

A Chinese solid state power amp kit might be worth it. Most sound good as they are based on tried and tested designs. They don't cost much.
Good suggestions those. Will surely look for those goodies.

Unless you are having mains power supply problems , would you really like to invest in such devices ? If your system already sounds very good you probably need to invest a LOT more to improve it a little bit ! But I bet you can achieve a lot locally by careful thought with very little outlay ! Remember the Holy Grail is only a 'mirage' ! :)
Power supply problems are quite ubiquitous in India. In my personal experience, quality of power especially to source like CDP or TT makes a huge difference. Hence, power conditioner is certainly there in my wishlist.

Maybe a Bluray player as a source ? But that would not be DSD capable and worth it only if you like Music video's too.

That's interesting especially so because my HT build is coming up. Will keep it in mind.

Never buy equipment the first time you see it and like it ! The next day you will find something better and at a lower price ! I always buy ( if possible) only a few days before departure ! By that time you get a bit familiar about what your options are , based on cost and performance AND your need for it ! You will need to take down notes in a book or Phone Notepad ( better!) ! You may not remember every single detail the next day and also might forget to carry the note book !

Very helpful tips those. Thanks.

Apiliu Street

Reach there by around 11am. Have a look around for an hour and short-list who is having what. Take a break for lunch at one of the food joint. Then make a strategy, assess what you want from what is available and then go to the specific place. Bargain well but to a point as beyond that the seller will just call it off. The market itself start shutting down by 5pm

What you will find:

Its a DIYer heaven. Tube, caps, ironware, plugs, RCA, pots, speaker, interconnects. Chassis, CKD kits...the works. There are a million of small pigeon holes selling the obscurest of things.

Thanks for the tips Aks07, it sure is a very informative post.

You will find vintage McIntosh, Marantz, Dynaco, Sansui, etc stacked ceiling high. Old turntables, carts, speakers. I had picked up my R2R from one of the kiosks. But most of these are expensive with minimum or no bargain. You really need to spot a good deal. The bigger shops also undertake service warranty. Thus they only sell what they thinks is good and serviceable. In most cases they would have refurbished and tested the wares.

- Tools and equipments: From most basic to the most advanced. I had picked up a used Function Generator, Dual Channel Oscope and a True RMS meter from one shop. All made in Japan by LEADER and in perfect condition. All three for less than INR 6000.

Not too keen on picking up vintage stuff. May be I'll pick up an oscilloscope if it is coming so cheap.

Its a full day expedition so the missus may not share the enthusiasm. Its better to deposit the family in another more mainstream shopping district for the duration.

Yes, yes, that's what I plan to do. :D

you can organise them to meet you up around 6pm at Apili Street and together move to Temple Street Night market about 4km away where you will get the quintessential HK bargain. Finish off with a dinner of claypot seafood, noodle and Tsingtao pilsner from one of the hawkers.

That's interesting! Will certainly explore. Thanks for the very useful pointers.

Last edited:
They say 'Man proposes and God disposes'

In my case it turned out: 'Man proposes and Wife disposes' :mad:

I had kept the last day i.e. 12th as an outing for me and my folks taking cues from what good folks had suggested but alas wifey talked to the travel agent and got the trip preponed by a day to be on Indian soil for lighting the symbolic diya on the day of Diwali.

My plans to sample the famed A/V markets of HK went up in smoke, literally. :sad: Pun if percieved in very much intended.

Never mind. As long as the trip was enjoyable , it was a good trip !

What you didn't see , you didn't loose !

It's only if after you saw it and longed for it AND couldn't not get it , that the heartburn starts.

So you are clean, and on the safe side ! :)
Just enjoy what you have here till your next trip comes along. It will certainly be better. Everything always gets better with time ! :)

Well, wife is Laxmi so the "God disposes" part holds

In my community, its the girl child who is deemed to be the Lakshmi. :)

Having said that, I concur with you, wifey sure is a demigod. :eek:hyeah:

Never mind. As long as the trip was enjoyable , it was a good trip!

Sure it was.

It's only if after you saw it and longed for it AND couldn't not get it, that the heartburn starts.
Everything always gets better with time ! :)

True that.

Last edited:
Get the Wharfedale EVO 4.2 3-Way Standmount Speakers at a Special Offer Price.
Back