VLC Media Player 2.0 released

Pot player is really nice, I tried after seeing here, CPU usage is very very reasonable. where as in VLC it use to stuck sometimes with 1080p hdrip movies when we try to select some scene.

Thanks for suggesting pot player :)

Pot player is really nice, I tried after seeing here, CPU usage is very very reasonable. where as in VLC it use to stuck sometimes with 1080p hdrip movies when we try to select some scene.

Thanks for suggesting pot player :)

Even I am happy with both potplayer and mpc-hc. What I really do not like about is the missing feature in potplayer when compared to mpc-hc is that in mpc-hc I can modify the key fields where when I use the stop button on my htpc remote it will exit mpc-hc and comes back to xbmc which I normally use for frontend. This feature is missing in potplayer. So I have shifted to mpc-hc again.

Thanks.

I went through their forum and it appears that VLC doesn't support it now and they do not have any plans to implement in near future. Reason given was (1) it is a basically a video player and (2) gapless implementation is not easy across various codecs. This feature is in high demand since 2008 but still there seems to be absolutely no progress.

So can't leave foobar after all :)

Thanks, sound1.

The response I got to my contribution to that subject was: "Write the code that fixes it: we won't mind!" Sadly, I am not a developer.

But it seems a pretty dumb fault in an otherwise superb piece of software.

Primarily a video player --- sad.

Anyone got HD-audio Bitstreaming correctly with potplayer?

No spiro :mad: still no luck for me as well. I tried some changes to the settings but no bit-streaming. I felt the configuration settings of potplayer are pretty exhaustive and complicated when compared to mpc-hc. I will give a try again this weekend. Will surely post my feedback after the changes to the settings..

Thanks.

I have GT440, i think its decent enough to do some upscaling. ??

So i have use Pot Player (Playback) / MadVR (for video upscaling) / LAV Filter (for pass audio from PC to AVR)

is this right or i have got something wrong ??

Upscaling will be done better by Graphic card than software.I have compare that in past with MPCH.

So i have use Pot Player (Playback) / MadVR (for video upscaling) / LAV Filter (for pass audio from PC to AVR)

You can have a look at this thread from another forum. It will give you lots of information about the how the upscaling works and the required components and applications as well.

thanks.

No spiro :mad: still no luck for me as well. I tried some changes to the settings but no bit-streaming. I felt the configuration settings of potplayer are pretty exhaustive and complicated when compared to mpc-hc. I will give a try again this weekend. Will surely post my feedback after the changes to the settings..

Thanks.

Actually settings on potplayer are very similar to MPCHC,still I think there is issue with sound output setting.In MPC,you can set output to directX & select filter you need.I use ffdshow & I get Dts-HD logo on AVR.

In pot player,there is option of PCM,LPCM & spdf,no HDMI.So it may be the cause.I can get DD/Dts out,but no HD audio.:sad:

You can set GPU upscaling in nvidia control panal.That would do.

ok. now i am bit lost.. in nvidia control panel, we have option of upscaling videos ?

on a high level i went thru the thread in avs forum.. there it says the softwares uses the GPU for upscaling.

ok. now i am bit lost.. in nvidia control panel, we have option of upscaling videos ?

on a high level i went thru the thread in avs forum.. there it says the softwares uses the GPU for upscaling.

I am not sure about the settings in nvidia control panel. Even I use gt440 in my htpc and I never used this option. Let me try it out and post the feedback. But i believe this would not be as good as the one listed in the avsforums.

Yes as per the thread it gives the configuration settings required to upscale the dvd videos to hd using gpu. There are also some software appln which upscale but they consume lots of cpu power which is otherwise not needed. I think it uses the open cl algorithms to upscale the videos and hence the gpu should be compatible with open cl architecture.

Thanks.

Last edited:
Last edited:
thanks for the info.. i have to try it out myself and look at the results... right now PDVD does a decent job.. but will see if i can get better results using the GPU and other softwares..

@spiro, isn't that setting used to fit the video output of the card to the TV screen? This is useful when the screen area output by the card either overflows the TV screen, or is smaller than the TV screen. I don't think that screen has to do with upscaling video.

I could be wrong here, though. I have a similar setting in the AMD Vision/Catalyst Control Center in my E350 Music PC and HP dm1. My post is based on my experience with that setting.

thanks for the info.. i have to try it out myself and look at the results... right now PDVD does a decent job.. but will see if i can get better results using the GPU and other softwares..

You need to install Pure video too.It will do Hardware acceleration.
PureVideo

@spiro, isn't that setting used to fit the video output of the card to the TV screen? This is useful when the screen area output by the card either overflows the TV screen, or is smaller than the TV screen. I don't think that screen has to do with upscaling video.

I could be wrong here, though. I have a similar setting in the AMD Vision/Catalyst Control Center in my E350 Music PC and HP dm1. My post is based on my experience with that setting.

When I had used similar settings,video used to be far better.Now I have ATI card,so cant try.

Thanks.

Hi Spiro

I redid the settings and got the hd audio bit streaming on my receiver. But the cpu usage infact was a bit more in potplayer when compared to the mpc-hc settings for the same file. I am not sure but the original District 9 bluray rip of 30gb with DTS-HD MA the potplayer is crashing. Mpc-hc is playing smoothly.

Thanks.

Hi,

I tried PotPlayer / FFdshow(raw video filter) / LAV Filter / MadVR - the output is really amazing for my SD content. Lot more better than PDVD11.

Nvidia PureVideo - did not get it to work even after installing the software but ok.. i think the above setting is lot more better.

Problem here is i cant get to play 1080p videos, they just do not play.. all other videos play really great. Any one having ideas why is that.

cant we just bypass 1080p processing ?

Get the Wharfedale EVO 4.2 3-Way Standmount Speakers at a Special Offer Price.
Back