VLC Media Player 2.0 released

Hi Spiro

I redid the settings and got the hd audio bit streaming on my receiver. But the cpu usage infact was a bit more in potplayer when compared to the mpc-hc settings for the same file. I am not sure but the original District 9 bluray rip of 30gb with DTS-HD MA the potplayer is crashing. Mpc-hc is playing smoothly.

Thanks.

The reason why CPU uses shown high may be the some processing done by pot player itself.In MPCHC,video is directed Raw(DXVA) & so the sound.

The reason why CPU uses shown high may be the some processing done by pot player itself.In MPCHC,video is directed Raw(DXVA) & so the sound.

Hence I have gone back to mpc-hc with the new release. I upgraded it without any issues and the playback is also smooth and the upgrade did not change any configuration settings it is as smooth as ever. I think I am going to stick to mpc-hc as it plays hd audio and video smoothly..:yahoo:

Hence I have gone back to mpc-hc with the new release. I upgraded it without any issues and the playback is also smooth and the upgrade did not change any configuration settings it is as smooth as ever. I think I am going to stick to mpc-hc as it plays hd audio and video smoothly..:yahoo:

Let me try new too,I had problem bitstreaming HD audio with LAV 0.33 filters.Today I installed 0.48 & no issue.
What are the filters used during play?

Last edited:
Let me try new too,I had problem bitstreaming HD audio with LAV 0.33 filters.Today I installed 0.48 & no issue.
What are the filters used during play?

I have used the latest mpc-hc with lavcuvid+madvr for all the configuration settings.

With madVR,cpu uses goes upto 25-35%,if I use DXVA,then around 10-15%.
How much do you get?

Yes you are right with madvr the cpu usage in my htpc goes up close to 25% but the videos look so so good compared to DXVA. So I think compromising on the power a little bit for the madvr is ok for me. The colors/sharpness improves a lot with madvr.

Yes you are right with madvr the cpu usage in my htpc goes up close to 25% but the videos look so so good compared to DXVA. So I think compromising on the power a little bit for the madvr is ok for me. The colors/sharpness improves a lot with madvr.

Well we can get better video Q with DXVA if we install correct graphic driver & config it correctly.ATI cards has better settings for video & works well with DXVA.

Well we can get better video Q with DXVA if we install correct graphic driver & config it correctly.ATI cards has better settings for video & works well with DXVA.

Yes even with DXVA the video looks good with very less cpu usage. But with madvr the video looks so neat/sharp/clear which I doubt DXVA can get you. Even I used to go with DXVA enabled in mpc-hc with my gt440 card. Once you start looking at the picture with madvr I doubt somebody goes back to DXVA. Anyhow I have installed lavcuvid+madvr so it uses the nvidia hardware codecs along with madvr with reduction in cpu usage. I think this option does not work with ATI cards as the lavcuvid works only with nvidia cards.

Thanks.

Hi Spiro

I have just installed the xbmc eden beta version as listed by me in another thread. The hd audio works beautifully, I checked for quite a while with blu-ray rip of district 9 with dts hd ma and a demo clip for dolby true-hd :yahoo:. I have enabled DXVA2 in xbmc and the video and audio are both smooth, most importantly the cpu usage is bare minimum for a 30gb file around 15 to 20% :clapping:

Thanks

Thanks both of you for sharing your views & settings.I had trid XMBC in past,but I found it to be difficult use(myself)as my PC is used sometimes during playback(Display2).
Now for HD-audio,I use MPC & sometimes vlc for mkvs.

I have lots of movies with aac 5.1 channel audio. But with my mpc-hc+lav+madvr I always used to get PCM on my receiver it means that it is a 2 channel downmixed audio. I tried various combination where by setting the configuration to play aac on the fly conversion to ac3 thru lavaudio but it did not materialize. Hence installed ffdshow and added the ffdshow audio decoder alone to the external filters and set to "merit" and changed the settings in ffdshow to output format to "AC3" (disabled all formats except aac to libavcodec) and wow my receiver popped with dolby digital immediately with exactly 5.1 channel input :clapping:.

I have set the ffdshow audio decoder to prefer as I want to use this filter only for aac audio and not for others as my lavaudio does the job for others. So you can go ahead with these settings if somebody has a problem with aac audio playback in mpc-hc.

thanks

Last edited:
@manniraj-using ffdshow, it sends 5.1 PCM over HDMI.This is not Dolby digital though & AVR should show PCM/LPCM.

@manniraj-using ffdshow, it sends 5.1 PCM over HDMI.This is not Dolby digital though & AVR should show PCM/LPCM.

I do not think so as I followed a guide for decoding only the aac part thru ffdshow and the rest thru lavaudio. I also went thru this guide for ffdshow settings and it shows as dolby digital with all the 5 speakers and 1 sub showing up on my yamaha receiver. Even though the guide settings are for media browser I did these settings on ffdshow and added ffdshow as an external filter and set it to "Set merit", sorry I think I had mentioned in my earlier thread that i set it to prefer. This way it works without any issues.

Thanks

If AVR shows DD,then aac audio is converted into Dolby format.I get 5.1 audio without conversion.The secong guid says its for SPDF AVR as they may not accept 5 ch PCM(?).With HDMI,conversion is not needed.

If AVR shows DD,then aac audio is converted into Dolby format.I get 5.1 audio without conversion.The secong guid says its for SPDF AVR as they may not accept 5 ch PCM(?).With HDMI,conversion is not needed.

How do you do that? I tried various settings in mpc-hc/lavaudio but still get only PCM on my 571 receiver. As I lost all the options I went thru this guides to convert aac audio to ac3 on the fly before sending it to the avr. If you can point me to the guide how you are able to get 5.1 audio without conversion on your yamaha 667 receiver then I can do the same instead of tweaking the ffdshhow.

Thanks in advance.

How do you do that? I tried various settings in mpc-hc/lavaudio but still get only PCM on my 571 receiver. As I lost all the options I went thru this guides to convert aac audio to ac3 on the fly before sending it to the avr. If you can point me to the guide how you are able to get 5.1 audio without conversion on your yamaha 667 receiver then I can do the same instead of tweaking the ffdshhow.

Thanks in advance.

With ffd setting to decode aac,select in bitstream option as "connect as PCM 1st" ,I get it easily.Install latest ffdshow.
Just checked even with LAV,its working without issue.Dialogs can be heard from centre ch & surr from rest.(tried with Kunfu Panda aac5.1)

Last edited:
The Marantz PM7000N offers big, spacious and insightful sound, class-leading clarity and a solid streaming platform in a award winning package.
Back