Walkman -anyone remember this?!

unleash_me

Scott Campbell and his Sony Walkman. An interesting read!

vintage_gads_08.jpg

Scott Campbell and his Sony Walkman. An interesting read!

walkman really started the on-the-go music phenemenon. But Sony completely failed to embrace the digital media player system and is paying a heavy price.

I chucked my walkman last year in the garbage as there was no usage in the last 8 or so years and I don't like to keep stuff unused for so long.

i am sure I have an Aiwa and Philips stored away somewhere in my house in kolkata - the sound through the Aiwa was much warmer than the tinny, treble happy iPods of today.

i have one sony walkman
210990.jpg
FX 195 with megaBass AM FM [imported through a channel]

i have kept carefully as college time memories.. sounds sweeter than mp3 players..specially FM sounds better than from phone FM tuners.

Hi

I still have a working SONY WM 2 from the 80s. Even the silly holder and plastic clip is in perfect order!
Rgds

Hi

I still have a working SONY WM 2 from the 80s. Even the silly holder and plastic clip is in perfect order!
Rgds

Congrats! My dad had got my WM2 from US in 1982 for $100.
It has stopped working about 10 years back. Tried to open it up to check, but the damn thing is so compact that I could not put it back!. Still lying like that, not working:sad:

I too have one Sony walkman in perfect condition, just need to push new batteries and listen, but sadly it's experiencing a slow death in a confinement - so too is a discman.

Hi,

I had a Sony Walkman Pro WM-D6 cassette player and recorder. It had nearlly all controls usually found in bigger and high end cassette decks. It had muti-heads (don't remember 2 or 3). Bought it in Germany for DM 800 (about USD 500 at that time, so very very costly for a walkman) in 1990 or 91.

I used it mainly for live recordings. The quality was equivalent to my big 3-head cassette deck.

I once forgot and left it unused for about a year with batteries inside, and the batteries melted. I took it to the Sony Service Centre (only one at that time in Kyd Street, Kolkata) and they kept it for nearly a year and returned it to me unrepaired.

I have recently replaced it with the digital recorder/player from Sony Professional: Sony PCM D-50 which can record up to 24 bits and 96 kHz.

I got a sony walkman cd player from a shop on US airport. Hardly ever listened to it in a "portable" mode. Good for reminding me, let me see what is the quality of this player compared to my dvd player - though I seriously doubt it would be any good.

I threw away my aiwa walkman some months back which got spoilt mainly because it was not used for many years
Still have a working Sony Discman and Classic portable cd & mp3 player (purchased from circuicity). Its maybe around 8 years old and still its working absolute fine. The color has peeled off but the lens has required no replacement ever

I have an Aiwa Walkman but the cassette mechanism was dead; still enjoying FM. As Kaushik mentioned, the FM sound quality is far better than mobile phones and PMPs. I have Sony W350i and Creative Zen Stone Plus but for FM listening, I use only Aiwa walkman.

Regards,
Muthusami. S

I also have an aiwa walkman in working condition. Havn't used it for years. Still, listen to cassets though, on my 2-in-1. Walkman had it's days, it was i-pod of it's days. I still remember choosing & packing cassets, batteries etc while travelling. Had a romanticism associated with it which is lost in today's frequent upgeading digital use'n'throw age.

"Do You Remember
When We Fell In Love
We Were Young
And Innocent Then
Do You Remember
How It All Began
It Just Seemed Like Heaven
So Why Did It End?"

From Michael Jacksons " Do Yo Remember"

As on Blogger rightly said " Jackoes end is an end of an era -era os Breakdance,Casettes & Walkman"

My bro told me on one gadget show when host saw sometiong made by TDK became nostalgic and said "Earlier TDK casettes were status symbol and anyone having TDK CR02 HX Pro ( Or someting like this) only 2 things are possible" Either your father is a smuggeler or you have a generous uncle in US!":clapping::clapping::clapping::eek:hyeah::eek:hyeah:

My tribute to my childhood dream gadget - I wanted to buy 2 a ultraslim one ( waith "cadbury" battery! ) and a waterproof one!!

Still I think I have one sony and one aiwa lying somewhere!

Amen!:cheers::cheers::thumbsup:

I still remember how amazed i was when i first listned to a walkman through a headset, that old sponge thing with thin metallic kind of clip that fits on your head, beautiful sound it was.

Glad to know that almost all of us have had a sony walkman at some point in our lives.

During my early school days, all i wanted was a walkman!. But my folks were against the idea of gifting me one cuz they thought this will affect my studies:rolleyes: When I was in my 6th standard, i saved up enough pocket money to pick up a 2nd hand sony walkman from an electronic shack. The selling point was an amazing feature called auto reverse! It was my pride and joy at that time in life to listen to it under the wraps during nights and in school breaks. Cant remember the model though, its still there in my room back at my parents.

Venkat's Mr.Sony remark brought back a lot of sweet memories.

Cheers.

Glad to know that almost all of us have had a sony walkman at some point in our lives.

During my early school days, all i wanted was a walkman!. But my folks were against the idea of gifting me one cuz they thought this will affect my studies:rolleyes: When I was in my 6th standard, i saved up enough pocket money to pick up a 2nd hand sony walkman from an electronic shack. The selling point was an amazing feature called auto reverse! It was my pride and joy at that time in life to listen to it under the wraps during nights and in school breaks. Cant remember the model though, its still there in my room back at my parents.

Venkat's Mr.Sony remark brought back a lot of sweet memories.

Cheers.

HAHAHA
Actually in my case IT DID AFFECT MY STUDIES!!!!!!!!!:D:D

I used to have one basic sony during my school days. I went on to buy one with auto reverse and dolby c noise reduction during college. That was the ultimate companion for so many years. I somehow lost interest in these once I assembled my first hifi :D
Even now, I have no interest in i-pods. I bought one and ultimately gifted it to my cousin after lying un-used for two years.

Hi everyone,
Like all of you,I also enjoyed the era of the Walkman when it was the rage, and then abandoned it for years. Recently, I retrieved it and got it going again to use as a basic tape transport mechanism in my car. I have a Honda Civic which does not have a tape player.I have rigged up the Walkman to play through the car system, so that I can hear all my favourite self recorded music while I drive.The Walkman is now showing signs of wear, so if any of you are thinking of pitching your old ones out,please pitch them in my direction !!!!! Cheers,

Join WhatsApp group to get HiFiMART.com Offers & Deals delivered to your smartphone!
Back