Wana start Listenin to Vinyl!!

jk_chaos

Guys, I recently bought my first hi fi consistin of a Denon pma 510 AE, Marantz CD 6002 and MS aviano 2s.. Now that things have come to place I wana start listening to vinyl records, reason being I've heard that nothing beats the Vinyls.. So how do I start off? Whats the difference between a record player and a turn table?? I don't have the least idea even to set a budget. but lets say an entry level player.. Please do help me out in the venture to attain the Sonic Nirvana as someone had quoted here once.. :)

You are correct on both counts:

1. Nothing can beat vinyl when it comes to sound.

2. Maintenance is definitely needed.

A record player and turntable are pretty much the same thing. DJs use turntables to "scratch" while record players are synonymous with a fireplace, whiskey, Mahler and a dog at your feet as you contemplate life. At the end of the day, they play vinyls to produce beautiful music.

A good entry level turntable for you would be the Denon. It is fully automatic, which means you plug it in, put on an LP and press play. Simple. The top end Denon costs somewhere around 20K. You can also look at other entry-level players such as the Rega RP1 and the Pro-ject Debut III. There is super budget Denon for just 10K too.

I suggest you go through other threads and do some more reading on the net about tonearms, cartridges, pressings, head-shells, phono-stages, micro-fiber brushes etc to know fully what you are getting into.

Even thought I said the Denon is simple to operate, LPs are typically more difficult to live with when compared to CDs or digital music collections. You need to keep them and your equipment clean and well-maintained to get the best out of them. That best, however, is unmatched by anything in the digital world.

All the best!

i would suggest to read through the forums. i was in the same boat a few months back. look out for all the reviews in the forums and go through the post of the seniors (that you shall come to know by name, reputation,etc.) keep an eye open and very soon you would have landed yourself
the same way i did. now i know a thing or two of ordering vinyls from abroad and got so much into it that shortly opening my own record company to release records.

welcome to this wonderful world. talk to seniors and read a lot through the forum and you shall have all answers

record player and turntable...interesting jargon...its like the astronaut and cosmonaut thing. a simple turntable with a built-in amp, which was generally portable, was called record player where as a record player used as a component in hi-fi rigs was generally referred to as turntable...

Let me tell you that Vinyl IS pretty technical. But not that much that a comon man can not understand. It IS NOT buy and forget types. You need to know before you buy, while setting up (the most difficult of all) and maintaining it.

Secondly, its COSTLY!

Thirdly, VINYL sound is very different. The sound/music of same song can not be replicated on a digital system.

Fourthly, the overall ease of operation is not there. Although the Vinyl craze is picking up again but its still far far away. What I mean to say that, you wont records for all songs/albums (definitely not new ones), few shops selling records, few shops to repair etc.

Final Verdict : Know well before hand about what you are getting into and what will you get out of it. Happy jumping and happy landing! :)

PS : Points 1,2 and 4 makes it really adventurous.

just got one thing to say. IF YOU WANT TO GET IN THEN JUST GET IN. you can do your research while using and learning too. if you just believe then get it. i did the same and i never regretted it

Aaah!

The lights dimmed ...

A glass of <anything> in hand ...

and ...

Pandit Bhimsen Joshi singing Puriya Dhanashri /Shuddha Kalyan or Ustad Amir Khan dishing out Maarwaa or Johan Strauss' The Blue Danube ...

... what an evening!

Even the occassional turntable scratch sounds are divine.

Woah!! Thanks a lot guys for the replies.. the whole thing just got a bit more interesting.. I'm gona go by all your advices and start researching and as denzong said I can do all the research while using it..

And one thing that made me a bit sceptic is the fact that not much people use the vinyls and that kinda had put a brake on my plans.. But the way guys just put it man it sounds like a true adventure..

@bluu.. Dude can ya tell me the model name of the Denon turntable?? The one that costs around 20k that you mentioned..

Woah!! Thanks a lot guys for the replies.. the whole thing just got a bit more interesting.. I'm gona go by all your advices and start researching and as denzong said I can do all the research while using it..

And one thing that made me a bit sceptic is the fact that not much people use the vinyls and that kinda had put a brake on my plans.. But the way guys just put it man it sounds like a true adventure..

@bluu.. Dude can ya tell me the model name of the Denon turntable?? The one that costs around 20k that you mentioned..
Please dont buy any entry level tt.You can buy some vintage TTs.They are far better than current entry level TTs of Denon,Lanco,Ion etc.

Regards,

Sachin

my suggestion get a used tt and play. collect the albums u wanna listen. put all your initial money in that.
you might also have to buy a phono stage or an integrated amplifier. this would depend on ur current rig
dont go directly for a new one. first start with used and go ahead to build your vinyls.
once you are ok with all these then go buy a good rig.
i am using a cosmic cogram 4000. very decent tt. got it at a good price. now building my collection. buying it from all sources.
within 2 months i am planning to buy Technics 1200. my journey so far
thats my 2 cent

Last edited:
@ Sachin - thanks a lot bro.. Will sure do that

@Denzong - DUde i have a pma 510 ae by Denon. I think it does have a phono input..

Man, I badly wana audition a tt, Any body in the forum from Kerala?? specially Trivandrum or nearby places?? Or even bangalore?? Who wouldn't mind giving me a demo ??

check and if it has then save a few more initial bucks. later on you would think of it. trust me.
check on the forum. many people there in ur area, esp Bangalore

@ Sachin - thanks a lot bro.. Will sure do that

@Denzong - DUde i have a pma 510 ae by Denon. I think it does have a phono input..

Man, I badly wana audition a tt, Any body in the forum from Kerala?? specially Trivandrum or nearby places?? Or even bangalore?? Who wouldn't mind giving me a demo ??

Jk chaos,

You're most welcome to drop in for a listen. Am in bangalore. Pm me. Weekends are good.

Regards

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

@ stevieboy - Thanks a lot dude.. I am Planning to visit Bangalore this month, will sure let you know.. i will Pm u fr more details.. Btw what kinda stuff do u listen to??

@just4kix - Yea i did notice that.. More are available abroad but sadly in India maximum 20 are displayed from all genres.

@just4kix - Yea i did notice that.. More are available abroad but sadly in India maximum 20 are displayed from all genres.

You probably seem to quote Flipkart.

I have told before, you will have to buy used vinyls because most of the old ones are out of production. In India there are almost NIL online used vinyl stores. You will have to ask people and walk into the streets to find out those stores and select the pieces. Also, in India the used Vinyl quality is normally very poor as they have not been well taken care of.

The vinyl collection is built with time, patience and lot of money. :D

You probably seem to quote Flipkart.

I have told before, you will have to buy used vinyls because most of the old ones are out of production. In India there are almost NIL online used vinyl stores. You will have to ask people and walk into the streets to find out those stores and select the pieces. Also, in India the used Vinyl quality is normally very poor as they have not been well taken care of.

The vinyl collection is built with time, patience and lot of money. :D

agree here with my friend. i told you before itself. its expensive.
you can try Discogs - Database and Marketplace for Music on Vinyl, CD, Cassette, MP3 and More its awesome. i have bought many stuff from there and got shipped to india, without customs and sometimes it was cheaper to buy from there then to source from india.

very soon i would be able to give you Lucky Ali on vinyl

And yesterday, after the above post, I logged off and switched on to Pandi Kumar Gandharva and his Raga Sohoni (on TT of course). Melodious for late evening listening.

@ stevieboy - Thanks a lot dude.. I am Planning to visit Bangalore this month, will sure let you know.. i will Pm u fr more details.. Btw what kinda stuff do u listen to??

Hi Jk Chaos,

Rock, classical, bit of jazz. If you have any specific albums/artists I can see if I have them, clean em and keep em ready.

Regards

Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back