Want suggestions on speaker wire brands in US.

alexanish

I am trying to replace my RCA branded speaker wires with a better one. They say you have to use OFC (Oxygen Free) for long life. Also, poor brands has less life. My current wire's gauge is 16AWG. I am thinking about going for 14AWG OFC. Please post a few good, affordable brands available in US, as I am trying to get it with one of my cousin's help who is visiting me in two weeks.

I have tried to get as much brand information from the forum but still wanted to hear the suggestions from you guyz.

Thanks in advance!
Anish

I see there is also another school of thought about the oxygen free cables,

Speaker Wire

According to this group trimming off the corroded ends every other year or so gives better results than moving to a costly OFC cable. What do you think? I have the following normal RCA branded 16AWG wire right now.

Amazon.com: RCA AH1650SN 16-Gauge Speaker Wire (50 Feet): Electronics

If I upgrade to Monoprice 14AWG OFC in my bottom line gadget, am I going to get anything substantial?

Also, I am considering to buy banana plugs. Do you think this will be a good one,
For only $1.23 each when QTY 50+ purchased - 1 PAIR OF High-Quality Copper Speaker Banana Plugs - Closed Screw Type [JX-74043] | Banana Plugs

I am thinking of soldering the ends to the plugs to avoid shorts of any sort. Have any one done that by yourself? Or just bought the already soldered ended wires?

@jtde, Shipping to India is not necessary for me as my cousin can pick it.

@soulforged, these brands looks costlier. I want some thing affordable and decent quality.

@pranab, the reason why I even have this requirement is because of my cousin's upcoming trip to India from US. I don't even know whether I need to change the current RCA because I am in any case not ready to buy those costly audiophile cables like QED or Chord and given possibility of thin quality difference between RCA and comparable brands OFCs. Just wanted to make sure RCA is not going to fail me in few months time.

Rs.20 a feet? I am afraid, I have no answers. Even if you locate a good speaker cable for $1 a feet, you are looking at a minimum 100 dollars.

Monoprice has some cables that are at 20$ for a 100 feet length. I am not sure whether the prices are for the roll or per feet. I don't think you will get a better deal elsewhere. Order online and get it delivered to your cousin's house so that he can carry it back for you.

Cheers

Last edited:
Belden 5000UE from bluejeanscable will set you back around $60 including shippping for a 100ft 12 AWG wire.

@venkatcr, The point is, will there be noticeable advantage of sound quality if I upgrade to a $1/feet cable? Because my gadget's are not that high end. The understanding that I got from many experts or discussion forums is that there won't be any noticeable change in quality of sound unless we have a $10,000+ gadget. My main worry is about loosing the quality on RCA cable, which I am using now, over a period of few months. The RCA is just a normal cable with out the "OFC" tag. So when upgrading I should just look for an average quality OFC like monoprice or bluejean, right?

@abhi, Do I really need to go for 12AWG? The maximum speaker wire length I have is 30 feet. I see most web sites specify up to 36feet for 16AWG on 6Ohms speaker load. But still I am going for the next higher 14AWG. Shouldn't that be enough? Also, bluejean does not sell through amazon? I found this as the only source - Speaker Cable at Blue Jeans Cable

Another question I have is about the connector plugs with soldered ends. Is it really worth spending money on those or just strip off the corroded ends every year or so?

there is no harm in going for a thicker gauge, also the cable is not that thick to cause issues. You can use bare wires or pick up the simple banana connectors from monoprice or bluejeans. For speaker side you can either use bananas or spades,for amplifier banana is preferred.

@venkatcr, The point is, will there be noticeable advantage of sound quality if I upgrade to a $1/feet cable? Because my gadget's are not that high end. The understanding that I got from many experts or discussion forums is that there won't be any noticeable change in quality of sound unless we have a $10,000+ gadget. My main worry is about loosing the quality on RCA cable, which I am using now, over a period of few months. The RCA is just a normal cable with out the "OFC" tag. So when upgrading I should just look for an average quality OFC like monoprice or bluejean, right?

This is a very controversial topic. Let me give you an analogy. There is certainly a difference between a Maruti 800 and say, a Honda. But when you compare models from Honda and, say, Toyota around the same price, it will become difficult to make out differences.

It is incorrect to say you need a 10,000$ gadget to get better value from a better cable. I have a simple 5K Sony system and the sound changed dramatically when I changed the speaker cable.

If you feel you are not using 'high end' gadgets, why are you buying cables blind from the US? The simplest thing to do will be to buy sample speaker cables in India from, say MX, try it out and buy 100 feet only when your ears tell you there is a difference. You will spend a couple of hundreds for this experiment, that is all.

I am sure many members in your city will even be ready to offer you extra cables lying around that you can sample.

Cheers

The reason I am trying to get from US is because of the price advantage. I got a price quote of 120 per meter for 14AWG 'some brand'. This translates to about Rs.3600 for a 100 feet. If Monoprice is kind of this 'some brand' then I am getting it for Rs.1500 for the same guage. If I am getting some thing like bluejean for say less than Rs.3000 (Belden 5000UE (Gray jacket, 12 AWG) - $52+$10 - shipping, for 100feet). On top of this Bluejean is 12AWG.

Your suggestion is nice unless some one here is ready to help me find the difference with an extra cable lying around. Anyones help is much appreciated :)

I forgot to add, monoprice.com now ships to India.

The shiiping is costly to India when I checked 2month back.
The price of Rs.300 cable came around Rs.1500 after adding ship to India,so US pickup is a better option.

Get the Wharfedale EVO 4.2 3-Way Standmount Speakers at a Special Offer Price.
Back