Want to improve audio playback from my Rega RP1 turntable

Shylo

To all the Vinyl Gurus out there

I play my Rega RP1 turntable through my Denon PMA 1500AE amplifier (integrated). My TT came fitted with an Ortofon cartridge on which was an OM5E stylus -- which I understand is a rather basic/entry level stylus. Right ??

In my bid to improve the audio quality, I intend doing the following
1. Getting the "Performance Pack" from Rega for the RP1
2. Replacing the current stylus with the Ortofon OM30. Have read that this is an excellent stylus. I understand it is a simple remove & refit process. Wanted to understand will this be case of stylus overkill, given my humble TT ?
3. I was also planning to opt for a phono preamp as I don't know how good the phono stage in my current amplifier is. My options were Rothwell Rialto & Graham Slee Gram Amp 2 SE. Have not tried them, going largely by reviews

Do my "upgrade" plans make sense ? Will they give the desired results ??

Sorry for my long post, but, brevity was never one of my strengths :lol: Look forward to all your inputs

I think you have already identified the low-hanging fruits. An upgrade from the current cartridge to something much better will yield very audible benefits. A better phono preamp will also bring you similar sonic gains.

What is the RP1 Performance Pack supposed to do?

In the meantime, you can re-check and fine tune the basics:
1) Alignment of cartridge to the nulls
2) Adjustment of cartridge overhang
3) Vertical tracking angle and azimuth
4) Re-check tracking weight
5) Antiskate
6) Levelness of the turntable support rack

The RP1 Performance Pack includes:
1. Reference drive belt
2. Rega Bias 2 MM cartridge
3. 100% wool mat from the P7
4. 14mm O spacer ring

That said I am not sure what tangible results can be seen other than the claims made by the sellers. However, over the period of time one needs to change the belt which gets loose and starts slipping.

More than the Rega performance pack, I would take a cartridge upgrade in the form of a Ortofon 2M Blue. It is a straight fit on the head shell too. Unsure about the need for a spacer ring. Later down the line, you can consider a better arm from Rega.

Hi,

I am using the Ortofon OM20 stylus and it is quite good. I'd suggest that before a huge leap to the OM30. And yes, the stylus is an easy and straight swap on your 5E cart. Please practise pulling your current stylus out and fitting it back before trying an expensive stylus replacement, be it the OM20 or 30. Good luck!

For a brief period, I used to be a sub-dealer for the Rega Turntables. I had a demo piece Rega 1 with me and I was so disappointed with it's performance . I noticed that the RCA cord was of very poor quality. I replaced it with better quality and there was a huge difference. So I advice all Rega RP 1 owners to replace the RCA cord . But I will caution you that it has to be done in a particular way. That is, you cannot replace the entire cord as it is not soldered as in other Japanese TTs. There is a 5 pin socket/pin system connecting Tone arm to RCA. If you try to replace from that point, you may find it difficult. I would advice that only the RCA cord which is exposed or found at the bottom be replaced with better RCA cords. If the player is under warranty, I would not advice you . But, before you change cartridge, if you try this mod, you will get much better results. This applies only for RP 1 model. If anyone want more explanation, they can PM me.

Hi friends, hi Shylo,

could you please help us with your complete setup details,

i am based in Bangalore too, at white field, i use cnc phonostage and B1 preamp which i got from sachin, we can do AB and check

Regards

Tanoj

I think you have already identified the low-hanging fruits. An upgrade from the current cartridge to something much better will yield very audible benefits. A better phono preamp will also bring you similar sonic gains.

What is the RP1 Performance Pack supposed to do?

In the meantime, you can re-check and fine tune the basics:
1) Alignment of cartridge to the nulls
2) Adjustment of cartridge overhang
3) Vertical tracking angle and azimuth
4) Re-check tracking weight
5) Antiskate
6) Levelness of the turntable support rack

Thank you jls001 for your inputs but, I am not sure I possess the understanding to carry out all that you have suggested :sad: Thanks nevertheless

1. Reference drive belt
4. 14mm O spacer ring

That said I am not sure what tangible results can be seen other than the claims made by the sellers. However, over the period of time one needs to change the belt which gets loose and starts slipping.

From your signature I see you also are a RP1 owner !! You never thought of upgrading the stylus/cartridge ??

For a brief period, I used to be a sub-dealer for the Rega Turntables. I had a demo piece Rega 1 with me and I was so disappointed with it's performance . I noticed that the RCA cord was of very poor quality. I replaced it with better quality and there was a huge difference. So I advice all Rega RP 1 owners to replace the RCA cord . But I will caution you that it has to be done in a particular way. That is, you cannot replace the entire cord as it is not soldered as in other Japanese TTs. There is a 5 pin socket/pin system connecting Tone arm to RCA. If you try to replace from that point, you may find it difficult. I would advice that only the RCA cord which is exposed or found at the bottom be replaced with better RCA cords. If the player is under warranty, I would not advice you . But, before you change cartridge, if you try this mod, you will get much better results. This applies only for RP 1 model. If anyone want more explanation, they can PM me.

Thank you Mr. Kuruvilla. Makes immense sense. Will contact you for further assistance

Hi,

I am using the Ortofon OM20 stylus and it is quite good. I'd suggest that before a huge leap to the OM30. And yes, the stylus is an easy and straight swap on your 5E cart. Please practise pulling your current stylus out and fitting it back before trying an expensive stylus replacement, be it the OM20 or 30. Good luck!

Appreciate your inputs, but, I'd prefer going straight for the OM30. Willmost certainly bear in mind as regards removing/re-fixing of the stylus .. Cheers

Hi friends, hi Shylo,

could you please help us with your complete setup details,

i am based in Bangalore too, at white field, i use cnc phonostage and B1 preamp which i got from sachin, we can do AB and check

Regards

Tanoj

Hi Tanoj .. My system details are as follows

Denon DCD 700AE (CD Player) + Audiolab MDAC + Rega RP1 Turntable + Denon PMA1500AE Amplifier + KEF Q7 Floorstanders

Cheers

More than the Rega performance pack, I would take a cartridge upgrade in the form of a Ortofon 2M Blue. It is a straight fit on the head shell too. Unsure about the need for a spacer ring. Later down the line, you can consider a better arm from Rega.

While I take your point Sandeep, the advantage in opting for the OM30 is that I just need to replace the stylus. Like I said earlier, I don't want to mess things up by changing the cartridge as then I need to worry about redoing the various adjustments, angles, etc

Hi Tanoj .. My system details are as follows

Denon DCD 700AE (CD Player) + Audiolab MDAC + Rega RP1 Turntable + Denon PMA1500AE Amplifier + KEF Q7 Floorstanders

Cheers
hi
My experience with denon + denon+rega + usher (see my signature) is as follows:
A good power supply to the amp improves things a lot.(direct to grid and good quality power cord and connectors aka audio art+ wattgate ).
I found the denon phono pre reasonably clean in my denon pma2000.Would need a really high end pre like nighthawk to improve substantially.
The ushers speakers are very revealing.A warmish and not so ruthlessly transparent amp like the denon goes well with it , however the JPS lab biwire cable helps immensely to exploit the full potential of the system.
The KEFs would be less revealing hence the system would be having a more forgiving signature.
Ortofon om10 super in my rega rp3 is dynamic enough and is a real value for money.
cheers

1. Reference drive belt
4. 14mm O spacer ring

+1 it costs $200,not worth IMHO.OM 30 is an excellent cartridge.It should perform great with RP1. I have used Ortofon OM 10 in the past,and I liked it over 2M Red and Shure M97xe.

Regards,
Sachin

hi
My experience with denon + denon+rega + usher (see my signature) is as follows:
A good power supply to the amp improves things a lot.(direct to grid and good quality power cord and connectors aka audio art+ wattgate ).
I found the denon phono pre reasonably clean in my denon pma2000.Would need a really high end pre like nighthawk to improve substantially.

Phonostage plays an important role in analog playpack.Ray Samuals Phonohawk is great phonostage.Kindly read Bhaskarcan review here #537 http://www.hifivision.com/phono-turntables/20115-batery-powered-diy-cnc-phono-stage-54.html

Regards,
Sachin

Phonostage plays an important role in analog playpack.Ray Samuals Phonohawk is great phonostage.Kindly read Bhaskarcan review here #537 http://www.hifivision.com/phono-turntables/20115-batery-powered-diy-cnc-phono-stage-54.html

Regards,
Sachin
Hi Sachin
Thanks for your input.
Of course Nighthawk is excellent. I have heard it extensively in my friend's all Usher-pre,power,MD2,gerrard 401 system.Actually I can try it out anytime in my system but I am hesitating to do so SINCE I MIGHT FALL FOR IT AND THEN ............
cheers

I noticed that the RCA cord was of very poor quality.

I have only heard about Rega not paying attention to this. They don't seem to believe in it.

What is your experience with regard to internal tone arm cable across the higher model of Rega turn tables? Are they the same run off the mill wires?

I have only heard about Rega not paying attention to this. They don't seem to believe in it.

What is your experience with regard to internal tone arm cable across the higher model of Rega turn tables? Are they the same run off the mill wires?

I do not know about the quality of the higher models. The higher models do sound good so I presume the quality of internal wires should be of better quality.

Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back