Want to improve audio playback from my Rega RP1 turntable

One small suggestion, before you make changes to your current rig, please draw up a small project plan clearly capturing what you plan to upgrade and in what sequence. Do not go in for a total upgrade in one go, its always better to make one change at a time. This will help you ascertain the difference, accurately. Once you've shortlisted what you'd want to change, try and locate a friend who has it currently in use (be it a cartridge, stylus, tonearm cabling, etc) and try to listen to it (just for the feel, but not for use as a threshold as the same items may sound different with your rig).

A lesson I have learnt over the years is that we generally grossly underestimate what we have and listen to, and just try to upgrade going by reviews and brand names. I have often noticed that what I have currently, actually sounds better to my ears when compared to more expensive upgrades that I have invested in. A good example of this would be me, often comparing my lowly rated (and often joked about BPL Speakers with Finolex pump cabling) with other higher rated and world famous branded speakers and ultimately finding out that my BPL speakers sound much better to my ears.

One small suggestion, before you make changes to your current rig, please draw up a small project plan clearly capturing what you plan to upgrade and in what sequence. Do not go in for a total upgrade in one go, its always better to make one change at a time. This will help you ascertain the difference, accurately. Once you've shortlisted what you'd want to change, try and locate a friend who has it currently in use (be it a cartridge, stylus, tonearm cabling, etc) and try to listen to it (just for the feel, but not for use as a threshold as the same items may sound different with your rig).

A lesson I have learnt over the years is that we generally grossly underestimate what we have and listen to, and just try to upgrade going by reviews and brand names. I have often noticed that what I have currently, actually sounds better to my ears when compared to more expensive upgrades that I have invested in. A good example of this would be me, often comparing my lowly rated (and often joked about BPL Speakers with Finolex pump cabling) with other higher rated and world famous branded speakers and ultimately finding out that my BPL speakers sound much better to my ears.

Many years back (1989), a close friend of mine Late Mr. Guhan Menon made a pair speakers for me which I used for several years .The drivers were Philips and I loved those speakers. Many friends who listened to them never thought much about them but to my ears they were just fantastic. And they were!

Buy from India's official online dealer!
Back