Waves in pull down screens

rshri

Hi,

I have heard that ALL pulldown screens (especially with 100"+ size) whether manual or electric develop waves within an year and sometimes within months. Can forum members please confirm? My room doesn't allows for fixed frame screen and therefore I am in dilemma what to buy.
As per general advise on internet - If one has to go for it, one should buy a tab-tensioned one only. Your views?

I actually want to buy a grey manual pulldown screen (106" - 120" size). Any strong recommendations? I am in NCR.

Thanks!

That is not true. I have an Optoma Panoview 120" manual screen for last 2 years and don't have an issue with waves/wrinkles being formed.

That is not true. I have an Optoma Panoview 120" manual screen for last 2 years and don't have an issue with waves/wrinkles being formed.
Thanks! One question - Do you always leave it hanging open? Or do you pull out only when watching movie?

Waves also form due to improper installation or poor alignment of the screen, if both the above parameters are taken care off then its hardly a problem.

Waves also form due to improper installation or poor alignment of the screen, if both the above parameters are taken care off then its hardly a problem.
I am not sure I understand - How can installation ever be improper? Screens are simply hung horizontally adjacent to wall on hooks/nails. From where does alignment/installation factor creeps in?

I am not sure I understand - How can installation ever be improper? Screens are simply hung horizontally adjacent to wall on hooks/nails. From where does alignment/installation factor creeps in?

titling to one side for example.

Yes, ashish has a point. The screen needs to be installed horizontally using a bubble level failing which waves/wrinkles may develop.

Yes, ashish has a point. The screen needs to be installed horizontally using a bubble level failing which waves/wrinkles may develop.
I never knew one has to be so careful while installation. This could be the very reason you never had wrinkles or waves!

Has anyone heard of 'Ramco' projector screens? 9ft by 5ft (approx 120" diagonal) grey manual pull down screen is being offered for 16K to me. Worth considering?
As an alternative I am considering importing a 106" grey Draper manual pull down. It will cost me around 21K.
Any suggestions?

even if you go with fixed screen there could be some wrinkles. Many things can cause it - quality of screen material, if the screen material is not properly stretched and mounted on the frame, if the frame is not sturdy and flexes over time, frame could be improperly mounted on the wall etc.

the only benefit with the fixed frame is you can re-adjust the screen and remount and offcourse, less wrinkles over time because its not being rolled often.

Last edited:
Has anyone heard of 'Ramco' projector screens? 9ft by 5ft (approx 120" diagonal) grey manual pull down screen is being offered for 16K to me. Worth considering?
As an alternative I am considering importing a 106" grey Draper manual pull down. It will cost me around 21K.
Any suggestions?

Motorized screen itself will cost 16K and enjoy the convenience:) Liberty screens :)

even if you go with fixed screen there could be some wrinkles. Many things can cause it - quality of screen material, if the screen material is not properly stretched and mounted on the frame, if the frame is not sturdy and flexes over time, frame could be improperly mounted on the wall etc.

the only benefit with the fixed frame is you can re-adjust the screen and remount.
I get your point. Is that why you are sticking with laminate for now?
At least with fixed frame you have some leeway; I guess if manual pull downs get wrinkled there is nothing one can do except curse their bad luck;)

The use of steam blower helps in ironing out wrinkles. I use a simple steam iron and patiently blow steam at the wrinkled areas. The tension in the holders on the side do the rest. Mind you, you need a lot of patience unless you can land your hands on a professional steam blower.

Cheers

rshri: Well, there were lots of reason for going with laminate, one being no wrinkles. Others were, it was cheap, easy to mount and remove. also, our 5 year old (that time) liked to touch the characters on screen while playing children's movies. Windex and microfiber cloth and off comes the finger marks. :D

When I was in India, I met few carpenters. They were making the frames for canvas banners. They had special pliers to pull the canvas on to the frame and then staple it. They said, it stretches so nicely that there is no wrinkles afterwards, even after taking the weather beating outside. That's impressive, but not sure if the screen material can take that much stretching without problem.

Venkat: Fortunately, I have the laminate screen, so don't have to worry about wrinkles at the moment. :D But its a nice idea to use steam blower. although, one has to make sure that screen does not react to steam and get discolored. That will depend upon the screen material though.

Rshri,

If the screen is of a good brand and handled well before + after installation, there will be no wave or other issues.

I am using a dalite screen for about 4/5 years and there is no issue whatsoever.

It is always better to go for branded products and the one's who are among the market leaders.

V.

Rshri,

If the screen is of a good brand and handled well before + after installation, there will be no wave or other issues.

I am using a dalite screen for about 4/5 years and there is no issue whatsoever.

It is always better to go for branded products and the one's who are among the market leaders.

V.
Vinay,
On internet, many posts can be found about Da-lite screens getting wavy/wrinkled. I am guessing since your particular Da-lite screen is of such high quality (costing over 1 lakh!), you never have and never will see any such problems. Good for you :)
But for cheaper Da-lite screens, I guess all bets are off.
It could be that, people in western countries install screens themselves ( presumably without bubble levels and other precautions) and have varying temperatures at home on account of central heating and all, thus making their screens more prone to wave & wrinkles.
In fact, I am pleasantly surprised that almost all Indian users here seem to agree that if installation is done well and proper care taken, there is no serious wave/wrinkle problem. That's great & comforting to hear!

Thanks for the tip! I will check for availability here at NCR. Are Liberty & Grandview same re-badged brands?

Purchased the Grandview screen 120" diagonal, manual pull down, matte white for 10K including shipping to chennai from Delhi last month. Haven't installed it yet, so can't comment on the wrinkles.

Cheers.

Purchased the Grandview screen 120" diagonal, manual pull down, matte white for 10K including shipping to chennai from Delhi last month. Haven't installed it yet, so can't comment on the wrinkles.

Cheers.
Thanks for this information! I needed that.
Did you buy it from Tushar in Delhi? (he and his number is mentioned in this forum before).
I contacted him for grey screen but he advised me against it. I am guessing Grandview doesn't has good grey screen options.

The Marantz PM7000N offers big, spacious and insightful sound, class-leading clarity and a solid streaming platform in a award winning package.
Back