Waves in pull down screens

rshri..

Yep, bought from Tushar.. read good reviews about Grandview matte white, reasonable contrast and the price was affordable:)

any idea about pricing of 120" motorized with rf remote? Can someone pls pm me the contact of the dealer in ncr?

Can someone please suggest me a reliable gray screen that I can buy at NCR? I am looking for a manual pull down 106" - 120" diagonal.

Hello

Also can anyone tell what type of screen is better? Matte white, grey, glass beaded etc etc. What are the pros and cons and which one to chose?

Here is a short rundown.
matt white - mostly gain 1 and above, hovering around 1 though. Suitable for low light lumens projectors and bigger screens.
Grey screens - Mostly less than 1 gain. Used a lot couple of years back for getting extra contrast boost (mostly lowering black levels). These can still be used depending upon projectors lumen output and screen size.
Glass bead - High gain screens. People who have very big screens and low lumens go for these. But they need special placement and viewing cone is also limited.

Each have pros and cons. Read more before you buy. Good luck.

Here is a short rundown.
matt white - mostly gain 1 and above, hovering around 1 though. Suitable for low light lumens projectors and bigger screens.
Grey screens - Mostly less than 1 gain. Used a lot couple of years back for getting extra contrast boost (mostly lowering black levels). These can still be used depending upon projectors lumen output and screen size.
Glass bead - High gain screens. People who have very big screens and low lumens go for these. But they need special placement and viewing cone is also limited.

Each have pros and cons. Read more before you buy. Good luck.

I have an Optoma hd 600x projector. Room size is 12 X 12 feet. So screen size would be around 90 Inch I guess?

I have sensitive eyes and like to keep brightness low to preven strain. So which type of screen would you suggest?

Thanks

I have sensitive eyes and like to keep brightness low to preven strain. So which type of screen would you suggest?
OT: Hey Sanchit, I too have this problem but not so much with brightness settings. I have a problem with bright lights like white tubelights (warm-white is fine) and also powerful headlights of cars. This was not a problem a few years ago. No problem with vision. Anyways, will get my eyes tested. Any idea what would cause this?

Last edited:
I have an Optoma hd 600x projector. Room size is 12 X 12 feet. So screen size would be around 90 Inch I guess?

Thanks
let me know the lumens of that projector. Also, is that a 720p projector?
I think the biggest size you can go is probably 10 ft wider. But think about your speaker placements and arrive at the size. Lower you go with size, brighter the screen will be. You can also use a neutral density filter to cut down the light output.
A grey screen will benefit your room because the projector will be quite bright. Also, the grey screen is good at rejecting ambient light. Not a whole lot, but some of the reflections etc will be rejected.

Can someone please suggest me a reliable gray screen that I can buy at NCR? I am looking for a manual pull down 106" - 120" diagonal.

Guys, any suggestions? I have bought Epson 705HD which is 3LCD, over-bright and notorious for poor black levels. Moreover, my room's walls are almost white. So I think that grey screen is a must for me.
If any recommendable VFM grey screen is not available at NCR, should I go for import route? See this-
Buy Draper Luma HDTV Format - Projection screen - 106 in ( 269 cm ) - 16:9 - High Contrast Grey and accessories from India's largest online store for international products and accessories

Guys, any suggestions? I have bought Epson 705HD which is 3LCD, over-bright and notorious for poor black levels. Moreover, my room's walls are almost white. So I think that grey screen is a must for me.
If any recommendable VFM grey screen is not available at NCR, should I go for import route? See this-
Buy Draper Luma HDTV Format - Projection screen - 106 in ( 269 cm ) - 16:9 - High Contrast Grey and accessories from India's largest online store for international products and accessories

I am giving myself a week to make a final decision. If I don't find anything suitable at NCR, I will import the screen linked above.
Guys, in the meantime, I am looking for advice/suggestions from you! Any comments will be helpful.

let me know the lumens of that projector. Also, is that a 720p projector?
I think the biggest size you can go is probably 10 ft wider. But think about your speaker placements and arrive at the size. Lower you go with size, brighter the screen will be. You can also use a neutral density filter to cut down the light output.
A grey screen will benefit your room because the projector will be quite bright. Also, the grey screen is good at rejecting ambient light. Not a whole lot, but some of the reflections etc will be rejected.

Here are the specs-

Brightness (Lumens) : 1600 ANSI
Contrast (Full On/Off) : 3500:1

Code:
http://www.projectorcentral.com/Optoma-HD600X.htm

Yes it is a 720p projector. Speakers should not be an issue since they would be placed below the screen.

I havent heard about the neutral density filter. But wouldnt reducing the brightness on the projector settings work fine?

Go with a grey screen of around .8 gain. Same suggestion applies to rshri. Both of these projectors are very bright, have elevated black levels and your screen size is not that big. That means, picture will be very bright and can really be helped by a grey screen.

I don't have much exposure to India market, but you can look something like Dalite High Contrast Da-Mat screen.

Manoj,

I think if rshri is the FIRST time user of PJ, better he can go for Matt white or he will feel the colour/brightenss is muted with grey screen:) I don't think so it will be so bright with the normal matt white.

I believe the second stage is to settle with Grey screen after enjoying the full potential of the PJ.

Just my 2 cents of using grey screen.

Adding with above .8 gain is not available in India and the specs if told also will be of high gain.

I agree that first timers always like bright picture and elevated black levels don't matter. Then in that case, my suggestion would be something like High Contrast Cinema Vision. It has 1.1 gain.

Once they are settled in, then they start noticing about black levels and how it affects the contrast. In my opinion, the gray screens bring the black levels down and intra-scene contrast looks better. Too bad, he can't get the samples and compare. :(

I agree that first timers always like bright picture and elevated black levels don't matter. Then in that case, my suggestion would be something like High Contrast Cinema Vision. It has 1.1 gain.

Once they are settled in, then they start noticing about black levels and how it affects the contrast. In my opinion, the gray screens bring the black levels down and intra-scene contrast looks better. Too bad, he can't get the samples and compare. :(

Yes what you told clearly about the black level and contrast is exactly the right one.

I had an opportunity of comparing the same when i intend to change my fixed screen to pull down/motorized few years back. Somewhere here i posted photos too and given a small write-up. I had opportunity to compare an so called Liberty silver screen/ grey screen / matt white, Unfortunately it had problems i have to return and later i imported from china.

I had opportunity to compare an so called Liberty silver screen/ grey screen / matt white, Unfortunately it had problems i have to return and later i imported from china.
I have used ShopandShip.com to import my projector from US. Given a choice, I guess China is preferable because of lower cost and shipping? Am I correct?
I couldn't find any China shop sites on internet selling PJ screen. Can you please let me know where you bought your screen from?

I have used ShopandShip.com to import my projector from US. Given a choice, I guess China is preferable because of lower cost and shipping? Am I correct?
I couldn't find any China shop sites on internet selling PJ screen. Can you please let me know where you bought your screen from?

Single screen buying is very difficult from china and most of the mfrs will not send. I initiated as an group buy here and bought around 5 screens(quoting the supplier as sample ) and worked out around $8 to $9 per Kg for shipping plus customs charges by DHL. Now shipping prices were gone up due to fuel price increase and you will be get charged above $12 to $16/kg for single or multiple consignments.

If you are into Matt white, buy it here itself or try thru borderlinx or 20north.

Regards

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Red Mahogany finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back