Waves in pull down screens

I am not very sure whether I would be able to find Da lite in Chandigarh. Also since installing the screen can be tricky I was hoping to get it done through the dealer only. I know of one dealer here who deals in liberty grandview screens.

Are they decent enough to buy and which model would you suggest?

Also in layman terms what is .8 gain or 1.1 gain?

Here is a short rundown.
matt white - mostly gain 1 and above, hovering around 1 though. Suitable for low light lumens projectors and bigger screens.
Grey screens - Mostly less than 1 gain. Used a lot couple of years back for getting extra contrast boost (mostly lowering black levels). These can still be used depending upon projectors lumen output and screen size.
Glass bead - High gain screens. People who have very big screens and low lumens go for these. But they need special placement and viewing cone is also limited.

Each have pros and cons. Read more before you buy. Good luck.

I am not very sure whether I would be able to find Da lite in Chandigarh. Also since installing the screen can be tricky I was hoping to get it done through the dealer only. I know of one dealer here who deals in liberty grandview screens.

Go with matt white with gain 1 and above and regarding gain below is an neat explanation from PJ Central

What is screen gain?
Regards

Last edited:

In Liberty, there is a Silver Grey screen which apparently has gain of 1.5(!) but is grey so blacks look good. Srinisunder had it installed and he wrote feedback on it in one of his old posts. I don't think Liberty has any simple grey screen with .8 gain.

In Liberty, there is a Silver Grey screen which apparently has gain of 1.5(!) but is grey so blacks look good. Srinisunder had it installed and he wrote feedback on it in one of his old posts. I don't think Liberty has any simple grey screen with .8 gain.

I believe they call it as Silver Grey, no difference and I don't find gain is 1.5 ( i have not measured but just compared with my other screen) but it reduced the brightness well below and no reflection and it is good for eyes.

Please go thru another article from PJ Central.

Should I use white or gray projection screens?

Regards

Thanks a lot. *Goes to read articles on projector central*

Edit

Read the articles. Seems like glass beaded screen is not needed at all and for my use a grey screen would be more beneficial than a matte white.

I am willing to sacrifice brightness if it is easy on the eyes. What use of watching a bright movie which would result in a headache! :D :D

At this point I cant think of any cons of the grey screen. What are they?

Last edited:
Can anyone please point me to Liberty screen dealers in NCR? Is buying from distributors safe - I don't think we can contact them for replacements if anything goes wrong?

At this point I cant think of any cons of the grey screen. What are they?

They are bit dimmer compared to matt white. But if you already have bright projector, then it compensates for that con and turns into advantage.

As said, gray screen is not for everyone, same in the case matt white is not for everyone and neither is glass bead. Each screens have pros/cons and work with specific situations.

I talked to Tarun today. He said "silver grey" which sounds strange as silver grey is a very shiny color, as in cars.
But he said gain was 1.2 for matt white and not sure about grey.
I am also looking at a screen and would prefer grey for better black levels/ contrast. My PJ is quite bright.

The attached sticker was found on my screen packaging when it was delivered.

The options mentioned for this particular screen model are - matt white, matt grey and glass beaded with gain 0.8, 1.0 and 2.8.
I guess 0.8 is grey, 1.0 for white and 2.8 for Glass.

As said before, I'm yet to install this screen, most probably will be done by next week.

Cheers...

Last edited:
Have you guys looked at building either fixed frame screen or diy pulldown screen? Meaning, if you can import a screen material (may be do a group buy or something) and then build a fixed frame at home. You can even get someone to build it for you. If you import just the screen material, then it can quite cheaper.

A Pulldown screen also can be made using the roller blinds. Just get the roller mechanism wide enough for the screen. There are some youtube videos showing that and it can be adapter.

Whether the expenses are worth it? Depends on what you are looking for. Just want to give a different idea.

I talked to Tarun today. He said "silver grey" which sounds strange as silver grey is a very shiny color, as in cars.
But he said gain was 1.2 for matt white and not sure about grey.
I am also looking at a screen and would prefer grey for better black levels/ contrast. My PJ is quite bright.
Your discussion with Tarun was about Grandview screens, right? Or does he also deals with Liberty screens? "Silver Grey' is only available for Liberty, I think. For Grandview screens I guess 'Matt Grey' should be available (as per sticker shared by Rajan).
Strangely enough, when I asked Tarun about grey screens a few days back he advised me to stay away from it because - "picture looks bad on grey screen".
Maybe, Grandview grey screens are really not of acceptable quality?
Because of Srinisunder's experience with Liberty Silver Grey, I am more confident about it than Grandview grey matt.

Last edited:
Have you guys looked at building either fixed frame screen or diy pulldown screen? Meaning, if you can import a screen material (may be do a group buy or something) and then build a fixed frame at home. You can even get someone to build it for you. If you import just the screen material, then it can quite cheaper.

A Pulldown screen also can be made using the roller blinds. Just get the roller mechanism wide enough for the screen. There are some youtube videos showing that and it can be adapter.

Whether the expenses are worth it? Depends on what you are looking for. Just want to give a different idea.
If DIY manual pull down were possible, it would really save one a lot of money by doing an import of projector screen material alone and assembling on roller-blind here in India. But I am not sure whether usable roller-blinds etc would be readily available here.
Unfortuantely fixed frame screen is not possible in my room, otherwise I would have definitely gone the DIY route.

It is actually not that difficult. You can get the entire kit. It has End clutch with string to move up and down on one side, end plug on another side, two mounting hardware for both ends (or top) and pipe to go between. Then you glue the material to the pipe. Build a wood casing for this entire mechanism and paint it to match room color or hide inside the pop ceiling.
If you don't get mechanism in india, then see if you can import the rest of the hardware except the pipe. Buy the pipe in India and get it assembled. :)
Take a look at this site. Roller Shade Kits - Roller Shade Hardware

You can even go for Electric pulldown by using a Somfy motor. Many people have built the diy masking panels for screens using these. See some of the videos at youtube DIY projection screen masking system part 3 - YouTube
and some other threads at avsforum

Last edited:
Your discussion with Tarun was about Grandview screens, right? Or does he also deals with Liberty screens? "Silver Grey' is only available for Liberty, I think. For Grandview screens I guess 'Matt Grey' should be available (as per sticker shared by Rajan).
Strangely enough, when I asked Tarun about grey screens a few days back he advised me to stay away from it because - "picture looks bad on grey screen".
Maybe, Grandview grey screens are really not of acceptable quality?
Because of Srinisunder's experience with Liberty Silver Grey, I am more confident about it than Grandview grey matt.

Isnt liberty and grandview same? :-O

^^ same here. He asked me to stay away from grey.

As Indicated earlier colors will be muted slightly, so it is not for first timers:) Try to see and demo of it, then you will feel the difference, it is not like staying away from it.

I was away on vacation for few days and could not reply sooner to your posts!

I think its time to not to get confused any further and simple place order for Liberty (aka Grandview?) silver grey screen for me.

@Anm - You are from NCR. If you have come to some decision and want to place order maybe we can consult each other regarding best possible deal available for us here.

Join WhatsApp group to get HiFiMART.com Offers & Deals delivered to your smartphone!
Back