Perforated Screens - When to use them ?

dovin

Hi, I'm setting up a HT in my living room. The speakers are at one end of the room and the projector will be at the other end. The room is long enough so I have to put a pull down screen in the middle of the room between the seating area and speakers. I'm leaving a 1 1/2 ft gap between the walls and the screen, so the front L & R speakers should get through. However, the center speaker is mounted on the ceiling, about 8 ft behind the screen.

So the question is, do I need a perforated screen to allow sound from center speaker to get through ? I asked some dealers and they said

a) Perforated screens are not available for ceiling mounted pull downs.

b) If the speaker is some distance behind the screen then there is no need for perforates screen as it is used only if the speaker is almost touching the screen right behind it.

Any comments from gurus here will be appreciated.

Also I checked prices for Da-Lite in mumbai. For electric screens the cost is coming a little over Rs 1 Lakh !!! I didn't ask for manual as I want electric.

So I'm planning to go to Pioneer Audio Video in Nagpada as they claim to supply some random brands I have not heard of at Rs 8000 for 106 inch diagonal and Rs 17000 if motorized with remote.

I wonder if the screens make such a difference to account for the huge price diff between 18000 and 1,00,000. My room will always have a little ambient light even at night so contrast and all that will be a bit compromised anyway.

Please do give some tips on the above.

Dovin,

It is always better to keep it easy and simple, so it is better to have the speakers ahead of screen and center speaker below the screen.

About the screen it will be wise if you decide among the market leaders because dealing with un-branded products there could be problems sooner then later.

The ambient light is generally not a problem as long as it is around 4 feet away from the screen.

V.

Follow HiFiMART on Instagram for offers, deals and FREE giveaways!
Back