WDTV 1 HDMI play

genopv

I recently got a HDMI chord and tried connecting the WDTV output through the same. My TV is a Sony one which is HD Ready.

This didn't work! Connecting a Dell laptop using this chord to TV worked fine!, then disconnected the cable from the laptop and connected it to WDTV and the WDTV screen came up and went after about 10 secs!! Fresh connection to WDTV doesn't work fine.

Has anyone observed this?

I recently got a HDMI chord and tried connecting the WDTV output through the same. My TV is a Sony one which is HD Ready.

This didn't work! Connecting a Dell laptop using this chord to TV worked fine!, then disconnected the cable from the laptop and connected it to WDTV and the WDTV screen came up and went after about 10 secs!! Fresh connection to WDTV doesn't work fine.

Has anyone observed this?
what you are attaching to WDTV?
1) Upgrade firmware
2) Are you attaching hard drive... try this with USB thub drive
3) WHEN FIRST TIME ANY HARD DRIVE/USB IS ATTACHED WDTV TRIES TO SCAN AND TAG AND PUT A FILE ON IT. for a big drives it takes time ,known issue.

The trick i use it
Copy containts of HDD on other drive
Format HDD
Put a sample file or DiVx movie
attach to WDTV ,let it scan and tag and put the file ,it is fast due to formatted drive and very less content
Now copy all the files again
It is worthwhile to defragment the drive..

try it

someimes the WDTV file also corrupts ,one member just deleted it and rescanned the drive and this trick worked

Does the WD work when connected to the TV with a Composite/component cable? If not, then I'm guessing it can be a problem of PAL v/s NTSC.

Thanks for the reply :)

I think i'm on the latest driver. I'm trying to play the video from the hard drive - but even when there are no drives connected, the observation is the same! I guess atleast the WD Menu screen should come up as soon as I connect? Basically there is no Display!

I will try the composite cable and post my feedback.

Meanwhile, does anyone know where is WD Service Center in India / Bengaluru?

I checked the video output -> it was composite and it works fine with PAL.
How exactly does setting the video output work?

In the video output, I tried setting HDMI (Auto). Then when I switched to HDMI channel, there wasn't any output. In the composite channel, there was a ok / Cancel and cancel was auto enabled and went back to Composite!

I think the HDMI options in the video output is just to set the right resolution if required.

I'm not quite sure why the HDMI cord isn't working while the comp. cable worked without issue. I didn't have to do any setting in WDTV when I connected it with a HDMI cable to a HD LCD TV. I only had to cycle through the external connection options on the TV.

Another option you can try to is to change the output quality to 720p rather than have it on HDMI (auto).

You may want to contact one WD'sdistributors for details about their Service Centers.

Sure! I will give a try. Just that my tv is down now - will try as soon as it comes up. Should be trying the helpline for wd as well [they work between 9 to on weekdays :-(]

yes try manual resolution setting. If it doesnt work, combine that with frequency setting of 50hz. In my case of screen flickering, that was the culprit.

Thanks folks!! with 720p and 50Hz manual selection it went through fine!!

Doing this is pretty tricky:

1. Connect to composite video
2. Go to Settings -> Audio / Video settings
3. Video Settings pick up HDMI [from Composite / HDMI]
4. Click on HDMI to choose a setting [Auto or 720p, 50Hz; 1080p, 50Hz etc]
5. Immediately switch the TV to HDMI channel
6. Select OK to fix the video [default is cancel]

Even now the setup is a bit shaky - i'm not sure if there is a problem with the cable genuinely - but I'm happy that the display at least came up!

Have other issues for which I would post a different thread!

Finally this happens to be a chord issue!! got a good quality HDMI chord and everything is fine without changing any settings!

Finally this turned out to be a HDMI cable issue! Got a good quality one and things are fine now! It works without altering any settings!!

Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back