WDTv vs foobar/Wasapi

sound_cycle

Hi,

The setup

a) FLAC files off USB SSD connected to WDTVlive, output over optical to the DAC of a PM 6005

b) (same) FLAC files off foorbar with WASAPI event enabled over WiFi to WDTVlive (capture playback stream), output over optical to the DAC of a PM 6005 [win 7 PC has some noname onboard soundcard]

My theory was that all bit-perfect digital transports sound the same when connected to an external DAC.

Did I imagine things, I *think I would swear* I heard more detail and a better soundstage with (b).

I realize also as I type this that I had left audio output on the WDTVlive to stereo and that was probably not a good idea.

What would be a good way to setup and test for this difference ? (assuming there is reason to expect any, and that cotton ears can detect if any). Could you also point me to a source where I can figure out wasapi event vs push (el goog done and did not benefit me)

I realize I may have set myself as an early morning laughs generator but it is a risk I have to take :eek:

ciao
gr

sound cycle... CONGRATULATIONS ! on your open mind, which has let your ears hear the truth.

There are several forum members, who have let their theories dictate their actual experiments, and others who even have stated that its futile to even bother with listening tests, since the sources are 'Bit PERFECT" :rolleyes:

Yes, I completely agree with yr observations.... there IS a difference in the sound.

To my ears, a Good CD transport is hard to beat for sound quality, and HDD playback will only better it after careful tweaking of the playback program and computer parameters.

Also, in my experience, the SPDIF link sounds the best of the common links ( I2S is Not a common link) available between a CD disc spinner and a DAC.

The Optical TOSLINK ( TOshiba-Sony LINK) mass market, low cost link to me is the worst. If you have found this to sound better ( I too concurr) then you will be Very Pleasantly surprised with the even better sound quality from an SPDIF cable than a Toslink.

USB is Very difficult to get right, but when it is done right, it does sound Superb.

Welcome to the wonderful and rewarding world of experience ... the Foundation of the Audiophile hobby ! :clapping:

sound cycle said:
Could you also point me to a source where I can figure out wasapi event vs push

The difference is similar to Async & Sync transfer over the USB interface.

In WASAPI ( Windows Audio Session API) EVENT, the DAC controls / dictates when the next USB data packet is transferred to it... ie when the DAC is ready to accept the next USB data packet.

In WASAPI Push, the Computer / sending device send the USB data packets when its mopst convenient for the device, irrespective of whether the DAC / Sound card has finished processing the previous packets and is ready to accept the next packets ...

As you can imagine, WASAPI Event has the potential to deliver ( even theoritically :D ) better sound quality. That is why most DAC and even software manufacturers recommend WASAPI Event.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks reignofchaos, IndianEars.

Any reccos for a flac player that does not need the PC and gives me foobar like sound/ functionality. A sub 15K one if that is not asking too much.

ciao
gr

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Red Mahogany finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back