Western Digital WD TV HD Media Player - a HTPC replacement??

the dragontech and popcorn hour are all made in the same factory - actually the HDX too as wellas the elektron - same hw just the design is different. I talked to a chinese guy names Huan Li from Dragontech whose ref i got from John fron avs forum.

Prices for the Dragontech and Popcorn hour A110 are same 260 USD (including shipping to India) - just that the popcorn suffers from heat dissipation, is a 4 layered board (dragontech has 6) - got coaxial and optical both.

PS: Tarshah should get his details right BTW - sigma chipset 8635 aint that expensive - only blueray players from Pana sonic etc that use this are priced aroudn that point.

This is one of the main reason I went with WD. It costs 5k for me and I can wait and watch the NMT to mature before spending a good 15k on them.

Wish i could get one for 5k, would have ordered one instantly, unfortunately don't have anyone coming from US , if anyone has contacts to procure one do let me know ...

Wish i could get one for 5k, would have ordered one instantly, unfortunately don't have anyone coming from US , if anyone has contacts to procure one do let me know ...

Unfortunately in the same boat here. Wanted to order Popcorn Hour with the deal they have going on. But the earliest I've anyone coming is my MIL and that's the end of the year. Hopefully more HD variants of NMTs will come in by then so can order then.

Unfortunately in the same boat here. Wanted to order Popcorn Hour with the deal they have going on. But the earliest I've anyone coming is my MIL and that's the end of the year. Hopefully more HD variants of NMTs will come in by then so can order then.

Yes, moser, by this year end we should see some stability and maturity in NMTs.

This is one of the main reason I went with WD. It costs 5k for me and I can wait and watch the NMT to mature before spending a good 15k on them.

wd tv cannot do networking, stream via NAS, play youtube directly, or accommodate a internal HDD..........most importantly cannot pass DTS true HD audio - so if i have a receiver that is DTS capable i experience only a part of the true HD experience (DTS true HD is atleast 30-40% of the movie watching experience).

You can let go of customs - mention it as sample and no value/put a value of 50 USD. The dragontech guys are willing to do it........so is TVIX btw. (6500 would cos t around 20k + shipping i.e. 2k more but it is availabel by an indian distributor in India for 26k). The NMT is not - though i agree the NMT segment is still not mature and every firmware today is fitting in newer features and better player functionality wrt to playback and network access

wd tv cannot do networking, stream via NAS, play youtube directly, or accommodate a internal HDD..........most importantly cannot pass DTS true HD audio - so if i have a receiver that is DTS capable i experience only a part of the true HD experience (DTS true HD is atleast 30-40% of the movie watching experience).

I didnt get your point? Are you saying WD TV is not worth it if compared to Popcorn? I would not even compare them. They are different league. WD is a plain simple Media Player and Popcorn is a NMT.

I wanted a simple media player and WD is that. Its perfect for my requirement. I believe NMT would evolve more and would stabilize this year end or next year beginning so I did not by an NMT. WD TV is not a NMT pls understand its made for a different segment.

Yes WD TV does not pass True HD, so? I dont have any movies with True HD nor do I see having them in next 2 years. Today the bandwidth restrictions dont allow me to download blue ray direct copies so no point in it. So for me I don't need TrueHD today.

Its all about requirement. WD TV fits my requirements perfectly, no nonsense VFM media player period.:clapping:

But WD TV passes DTS, so if your Receiver is capable of passing DTS then WD will pass and you will enjoy the experience. It only cannot do TrueHD.

I didnt get your point? Are you saying WD TV is not worth it if compared to Popcorn? I would not even compare them. They are different league. WD is a plain simple Media Player and Popcorn is a NMT.

I wanted a simple media player and WD is that. Its perfect for my requirement. I believe NMT would evolve more and would stabilize this year end or next year beginning so I did not by an NMT. WD TV is not a NMT pls understand its made for a different segment.

Yes WD TV does not pass True HD, so? I dont have any movies with True HD nor do I see having them in next 2 years. Today the bandwidth restrictions dont allow me to download blue ray direct copies so no point in it. So for me I don't need TrueHD today.

Its all about requirement. WD TV fits my requirements perfectly, no nonsense VFM media player period.:clapping:

But WD TV passes DTS, so if your Receiver is capable of passing DTS then WD will pass and you will enjoy the experience. It only cannot do TrueHD.

quite agree with you..........actually WD cannot technically be called a NMT so no comparison. WD TV is a great VFM product..would have gone for it but one of my dealers promised me a whole lot of Blueray rips (sorry ####) around 20 of them - could nto pass that through with a capable receiver and HT system on board.

But then again the WDTV is awesome........by next week i will decide what to get in the first place. Again i am swaying towards a HTPC with the no of customizations possible. Only if some sc pass through true HD as bitstream. (Xonar HDAV does nto qualify because of the shaky nature of the pdt)

Only prob with WD that it doent have coax out which is needed with corrent AVR(without HDMI).
1.Opt to AVR
2.Coax to DAC to AVR

Waiting for stereo SQ of WD.

By the way How is your Mom?

If you can get a hand on Optical to Coax converter like I did, the problem is solved.

Mom is recouping, she had her first heart attack. Hopefully, she will rest but you know moms they aitn the listening types :)

What is 20-23 B?? B stands for??

He meant 20-23GB :)

If you can get a hand on Optical to Coax converter like I did, the problem is solved.

Mom is recouping, she had her first heart attack. Hopefully, she will rest but you know moms they aitn the listening types :)

I wish to recover faster.
To the point ,converter will not help as my idea to replace DVDp to WD.
DVDp has both output(co,opt)
I wish to connect coax to AVR directly to get 5.1 of DVD mov(no HDMI on my AVR)
Opt to DAC to get good stereo an output to AVR/amp.

So both are necessary when HDMI ia absent on AVR.

I wish to recover faster.
To the point ,converter will not help as my idea to replace DVDp to WD.
DVDp has both output(co,opt)
I wish to connect coax to AVR directly to get 5.1 of DVD mov(no HDMI on my AVR)
Opt to DAC to get good stereo an output to AVR/amp.

So both are necessary when HDMI ia absent on AVR.

I am not sure I am getting what you are saying, my understanding is you want the WD TV to connect to AVR and DAC.

So I would say, buy a Optical Splitter:
eBay India: Optical SPDIF Toslink Digital Audio Splitter 1 IN 2 OUT (item 120394315933 end time 26-Mar-2009 17:33:53 IST)

1. Now connect the optical out of WD TV to optical splitter
2. Connect one output of the Optical Splitter directly to the DAC (since u r DAC has an optical input)
3. Connect the second output of the Optical Splitter to a Optical to Coax converter ( Amazon.com: Dayton DAC-OC Optical To Coaxial Converter: Electronics) . Then connect the coaxial out from the converter to you AVR and enjoy.

Option 3 is how I have connected my WD TV to Philips HTiB which has Digital Coax input.

Did I understand you or am I in a different tangent? :eek:

Last edited:
I am not sure I am getting what you are saying, my understanding is you want the WD TV to connect to AVR and DAC.

So I would say, buy a Optical Splitter:
eBay India: Optical SPDIF Toslink Digital Audio Splitter 1 IN 2 OUT (item 120394315933 end time 26-Mar-2009 17:33:53 IST)

1. Now connect the optical out of WD TV to optical splitter
2. Connect one output of the Optical Splitter directly to the DAC (since u r DAC has an optical input)
3. Connect the second output of the Optical Splitter to a Optical to Coax converter ( Amazon.com: Dayton DAC-OC Optical To Coaxial Converter: Electronics) . Then connect the coaxial out from the converter to you AVR and enjoy.

Option 3 is how I have connected my WD TV to Philips HTiB which has Digital Coax input.

Did I understand you or am I in a different tangent? :eek:

Thanks & really fast response.
Does this splitter reduce signal as it will be divide?(without gain)
It converts 1 opt to 2 out? no coax?

Last edited:
The Marantz PM7000N offers big, spacious and insightful sound, class-leading clarity and a solid streaming platform in a award winning package.
Back