Wharfdale Diamond 9.1 vs M-audio AV40 + Xonar DX

ANP !!!

Wharfdale Diamond 9.1 + Norge 2060 vs M-audio AV40 + Xonar DX

Hello HifiVision

I am in the market for a stereo setup that is decent for Music.
  • I dont care much about bass, but it should have acceptable bass, since most of the time I used to set the bass low on my Z5500, I like tight and faster bass which the Z5500 was opposite of.
  • My usage will be 75% Music 15% movies 10% gaming.
  • The speakers will be about 1 meter away from me and about 2.5 meters apart with 15" of space behind the speakers.

Thus since I dont have a sound card right now (Xfi Xtrememusic which blew a few days ago :(), I am using a external Realtek ALC885 card that came with my DFI board. Its decent and gets the job done, but If I will be compromising a lot of SQ with this card I will upgrade.
More technical info
Realtek

I am currently saving up for my DSLR body & lens upgrades thus I have less money for the stereo setup and I am on tight budget.

So which one will sound better for music
  • Wharfedale Diamond 9.1 + amp (mostly Norge 2060)
    or
  • AudioEngine A5
    or
  • M-audio AV40/Behringer MS40/Edirol MA-15D/Audioegine A2 + Xonar DX/EMU 0404USB

If I get the Wharfedales Diamond 9.1/Audioengine A5 set I wont have money for the sound card and will have to compromise a bit with the Realtek card for about 2-3 months, later I will get the Xonar DX or M-audio Audiophile 2496 or Creative EMU0404

Which route should i go for ? Will the Wharfdale sound crap with the Stock card ? or else it will be good enough for a good 2-3 months.

Help me out
Thanks for reading this far.

Last edited:
Wharf9 + amp will be 1st choice.
If you need system for PC listening only ,then A5
SC DX can be better for music.

Thanks guys :). How much do they cost in Mumbai ?? These are the prices I heard, but don't know how accurate they are
Wharfedale diamond 9.1 = 10k
Norge 2060 = 6k.

If the prices are very close to this, I might be able to get a Xonar DX with the setup too. :D

Thanks guys :). How much do they cost in Mumbai ?? These are the prices I heard, but don't know how accurate they are
Wharfedale diamond 9.1 = 10k
Norge 2060 = 6k.

If the prices are very close to this, I might be able to get a Xonar DX with the setup too. :D

Hello ANP ,
:yahoo: Amarbir Here .Bro whats The use Of The DX In This Setup We Have The Head Direct EF2A Thats a USB DAC + Twin Vaccum tube Based Setup .

Amarbir[Lynx-India];98602 said:
Hello ANP ,
:yahoo: Amarbir Here .Bro whats The use Of The DX In This Setup We Have The Head Direct EF2A Thats a USB DAC + Twin Vaccum tube Based Setup .

Amarbir bhai :yahoo:
haha, this is temporary setup, later (3 months) I will go for more higher stuffs, and then I will know whom to order from.

I was quoted 13k for the Wharfedale 9.1 and 7.5k for the Norge, I found the wharfedale price pretty high, while the Norge is nicely priced. Can anyone suggest me a shop in Mumbai (as nearest to Vile parle, if possible :)), where I can find these two things at a reasonable price. Also at 7.5k does the Norge 2060 comes with a remote controller ?

I have seen many Bangalore people getting it for 6k :(.

I was quoted 13k for the Wharfedale 9.1 and 7.5k for the Norge, I found the wharfedale price pretty high, while the Norge is nicely priced. Can anyone suggest me a shop in Mumbai (as nearest to Vile parle, if possible :)), where I can find these two things at a reasonable price. Also at 7.5k does the Norge 2060 comes with a remote controller ?

I have seen many Bangalore people getting it for 6k :(.

Norge factory outlet is @Mahim.Price told to me of 2060 by Mr.Bajaj is same
as 7500 with remote.
Wharf lowest price once was 12k & 13k is good value.
Wharf is available @ alliance4,DN.nagar Andheri-W.

Hello

WF 9.1 will not give you the bassy touch. Its got a bette midrange and decent upper bass. 9.2 might help you in the bass dept but 9.2 midrange is poorer than 9.1.

If you think you will have extra 19K to spend after 6 -7 months then get a sub later to pair with 9.1. This way you will get great 9.1 sound with a bass upgrade later next year.

HTH
Cheers

Thanks for the inputs Gobble :)

If that's the case then I think I will go for 9.1, I prefer clearner mids over bass anyday, since my main genre will be ROCK (all types), I will enjoy the guitar tunes with better mids, Yes mostly after 4 months I will get a dedicated sub, till then I will make do with the bass on the 9.1s, but before the Sub, i would possibly be getting a nice sound card.

Can anyone suggest me a nice shop (in Mumbai) that gives reasonable pricing on the 9.1s I was expecting them to be 10 - 11k

Thanks for the inputs Gobble :)

If that's the case then I think I will go for 9.1, I prefer clearner mids over bass anyday, since my main genre will be ROCK (all types), I will enjoy the guitar tunes with better mids, Yes mostly after 4 months I will get a dedicated sub, till then I will make do with the bass on the 9.1s, but before the Sub, i would possibly be getting a nice sound card.

Can anyone suggest me a nice shop (in Mumbai) that gives reasonable pricing on the 9.1s I was expecting them to be 10 - 11k

Asus Xonar is the way to go for sound card. Costs like 8K though. :)

Cheers

Norge factory outlet is @Mahim.Price told to me of 2060 by Mr.Bajaj is same
as 7500 with remote.
Wharf lowest price once was 12k & 13k is good value.
Wharf is available @ alliance4,DN.nagar Andheri-W.

I kind of missed this post, Thanks Spirovious and all others who posted.

alternatively get the warfedales from another mumbai dealer itself na
contact Shitij at Tardeo (close to mumbai central station)- google the shops name i think its Designer Audio-mumbai

he was giving me great deals on the 9.1 when i was hunting

Edit : A good PC based system would take out most entry to mid fi Dac's - if you like the PC ,its a logical option
Only if youre averse to a PC consider A DAC directly

Last edited:
contact Shitij at Tardeo (close to mumbai central station)- google the shops name i think its Designer Audio-mumbai

Yes he is distributor of Mumbai.

he was giving me great deals on the 9.1 when i was hunting

Edit : A good PC based system would take out most entry to mid fi Dac's - if you like the PC ,its a logical option
Only if youre averse to a PC consider A DAC directly

I will contact them tomorrow :). Thanks for the post

Finally got my hands on it, Havent recieved the Norge yet, will get it on Monday.

Till then testing it on the Sony HiFi reciever, and they sounds decent, Although a bit bright, but amazing, each tunes and notes are very clean and well detailed.

DSC_42201280x768.jpg

DSC_42241280x768.jpg

DSC_42281280x768.jpg

Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back