Wharfedale 10 5.1 Speaker package

Srinivas29

Hi,

I got a quote for the following 5.1 speaker package for 1,03,000 Rs in Bangalore. Is this a good price to buy.

10.7 Fronts, 10.2 surround, 10.CM center and 10.MX Sub.

My hall has a dimension of 22 X 13. My listening preferences are 70% Movies and 20% Music and 10% gaming.

Do you think above speaker package is a overkill for the room of that dimension?

Any other suggestion for a 5.1 speaker package in that price range?

Most probably u can bargain if it is a MRP and get -10% off easily.
This is one of the most economical package for that speaker size/soundstage.
Others by Dali, Monitor Audio and B&W are quite costlier.
Range 1.4 lac to 3.5 lacs.

And I have used Yamaha coupled with Wharfedale and the combination is terrific sounding and very VFM.

Last edited:
You said bangalore so either it may be from vector / total sounds ... both dealers were offering 14% off over phone if you are buying a package you shld get more discount . But @ one lakh price you shld see some better brands ....... wait for experts to reply ;)

dunno about pricing for the package,but u have one cracker of an AVR.am sure they will sound great as apackage.happy hunting.cheers

Hi,

I got a quote for the following 5.1 speaker package for 1,03,000 Rs in Bangalore. Is this a good price to buy.

10.7 Fronts, 10.2 surround, 10.CM center and 10.MX Sub.

My hall has a dimension of 22 X 13. My listening preferences are 70% Movies and 20% Music and 10% gaming.

Do you think above speaker package is a overkill for the room of that dimension?

Any other suggestion for a 5.1 speaker package in that price range?

Srinivas,

While the package you are getting is good, please consider the following:

1. The Diamond 10.7 is quite a powerful speaker (rated power handling 30 - 200 Watts) and you need an amp that can drive these speakers with authority. Same goes for the 10.CM which would really come to life with an powerful amp. The Yamaha 863 while a good AVR, may not really be able to drive these speakers with authority. Though the Yamaha web site states that the 863 can output 105 Watts per channel, I seriously doubt if it can deliver that much power when driven across all channels. Sound & vision magazine tested the 863 and found that the receiver outputs 45 Watts per channels when driven on 5 channels and 41 Watts for 6 channels. That kind of power is barely enough to drive the speakers you are considering. The speakers will work for sure with the AVR, but there will not be enough power and you will feel the lack of power when viewing a movie at higher volumes - usually in the form of clipping or the AVR shutting down in protection mode. See here: Yamaha RX-V863 A/V receiver | Sound and Vision Magazine

Also note that the Sound & vision magazine reported that the 863 restricts power when in 6 ohm mode to half of that of 8 ohm mode. The impedance of wharfedale speakers you are considering are all 6 ohms.

2. The frequency response of the Diamond 10.7 is 30Hz - 24KHz and the 10 MX subwoofer is 35Hz - 110 Hz. The frequency response of the subwoofer is higher than the Diamond 10.7! There will be no real benefit in buying the 10 MX subwoofer because the Diamond 10.7 front speakers can handle bass better than the 10 MX. See if you can change it to 10 GX whose frequency response is 30Hz - 100Hz.

I think your room size is fine for these speakers, however do consider the ability of your AVR to drive these speakers well. I initially had the Onkyo TX-SR608 and the reason I sold it and changed to Onkyo TX-SR876 is because of the higher power that the 876 has.

-thekinge

Forgot to mention that i have Yamaha RxV 863 receiver.

Hi Srinivas29,

Since you said you have Yamaha receiver, i am suggesting you an other Option where you can save atleast 40% money..

If you are too specific abt the speaker brand go ahead and buy it. But if you wish to take chances with other, then i have a real recommendation here. Hope you have come across the Indian brand Sonodyne. I have auditioned them with Yamaha 5.1 receiver in a Chennai dealer.. They are very good...

Sonodyne FS 3-Way speakers Sonus 2605 V2 (24K) + Center Channel (4k) + Dipole Surround (9K) + some 2K for wires = 40K Max for Speakers. For subwoofer you can either take chance with their own series or some other brand for 25K. So totally for 65K you are getting a better speaker package....

Do take a chance with Sonodyne, they very good. Do give them an audition in Forum mall before u decide on the Wharfedale speaker package.......

Happy Hunting....

Hi Srinivas,

I agree with what thekinge has to say !
you may consider the diamond 10.7 (5.1 set-up) if you are planning to change your receiver any time soon
or if you will be going for an Integrated Amp for music in the future, (now that you have mentioned that your requirement is 70% movies, this may not be helpful).... however I was of the same opinion when I started my journey into Hifi some 18 months back 70% movies and 30% music, but after listening to the potential of the diamond 9.6 series I am now changed to 60% music and I am hunting for a dedicated CD player my be the Emotiva and Integrated Amp (not decided yet)

Nevertheless why don't you audition the Diamond 9 series its more VFM

Below is my recommendation
Floor standers 9.6 @ 35k
Center DIA 9.CS @ 10 K
Surround DIA 9.CS @ not sure of the price, should be below 12k
Sub -woofer - SW-150 @ 25K

The total will come up approx 80k, you can get a further discount if you are able to bargain.. Try vector (lokesh) they are more responsive you can convence him to throw in a few cable/interconnectors
Request him to allow you to bring your Yam AVR and hook it up with the set-up mentioned above at his demo place, be sure to bring with you your favorite movie and audio cd's take a friend along and go by what please your ears..

All the best !

I will try to audition both sonodyne and wharfedale 9.6 on this weekend.

Just keep in mind that the Wharfedale 9.6 combo suggested by harryanthony also is similar in power requirements to the Diamond 10.7 combo - hence my earlier post about the ability of 863 to drive the 10.7 speakers applies to the 9.6 as well.

If you are not going to change the AVR, you might want to consider other speaker packages which are not that demanding on your AVR.

friends i am also going in for warfy kindly see the quotes
10.7= 54k
10.6=42k
10.5=35k
10 dps=12k
10cs=13k
10cm=18k

9.6=40k
9.5=30k
9cs=12k
9sr=11k

kindly tell me the right prices @ delhi

Last edited:
The Marantz PM7000N offers big, spacious and insightful sound, class-leading clarity and a solid streaming platform in a award winning package.
Back