Wharfedale 9.5 towers vs 9.2 bookshelves

The MRP price list for Wharfedale is attached please.

Wonderful information. I guess in the AV world, if we get such an information, it saves lot of time as well as we can be sure what we can expect when we visit the shop. I am tired of shop owners writing the numbers on piece of paper, and thats a big turn off.

Now, coming back to business. As per Venkat's options, if I pick 9.2 setup, the cost will be ~43K.

Next question to experts - Which AVR I should pick if my budget is 20-25k? In a week, 60% of time family will be watching cable/satellite, 20% movies (dvds/cable movies) and 20% music. And I am looking for AVR which has HDMI upscaling feature as well.

Wonderful information. I guess in the AV world, if we get such an information, it saves lot of time as well as we can be sure what we can expect when we visit the shop. I am tired of shop owners writing the numbers on piece of paper, and thats a big turn off.

Now, coming back to business. As per Venkat's options, if I pick 9.2 setup, the cost will be ~43K.

Next question to experts - Which AVR I should pick if my budget is 20-25k? In a week, 60% of time family will be watching cable/satellite, 20% movies (dvds/cable movies) and 20% music. And I am looking for AVR which has HDMI upscaling feature as well.

Denon 1609 (Denon USA | AVR-1609) would do the job nicely.
Another alternative could be Denon 1508 (Denon USA | AVR-1508).

Regards,
Siddarth

Last edited:
Siddarth,

These AVRs support HDMI upscaling? And what should be approximate price?

No Siddarth, these AVRs do not upscale. The first Denon AVR that upscales is 1909 which is around 42K.

At the same time please remember that you get DVD Players at 5 to 7K that upscale.

Cheers

No Siddarth, these AVRs do not upscale. The first Denon AVR that upscales is 1909 which is around 42K.

At the same time please remember that you get DVD Players at 5 to 7K that upscale.

Cheers

Venkat,

Thanks for the input. When we speak of upscaling, do we consider upscaling only the DVDs from the players or even the cable/satellite broadcast as well?

Venkat,

Thanks for the input. When we speak of upscaling, do we consider upscaling only the DVDs from the players or even the cable/satellite broadcast as well?

A DVD Player will only upscale what is on the DVD. To upscale DVD input as well as other inputs (such as TV broadcasts, cable/satellite, etc.) you need a separate scaler such as those found in AVRs. If you are looking to upscale many inputs, then you should look for an upscaling AVR

Cheers

Venkat,

Your TV will upscale all video that is fed to it which is of a lesser resolution than its own native resolution. An expensive TV will always provide higher quality upscaling than an entry-level DVD player. The reverse is also true.

To upscale DVD input as well as other inputs (such as TV broadcasts, cable/satellite, etc.) you need a separate scaler such as those found in AVRs. If you are looking to upscale many inputs, then you should look for an upscaling AVR

Cheers

Such as? Make, model, price? :)

Sorry for bothering all of you and Venkat in particular so much in a day. I think once I get the answer for this, I guess I will be done from this thread for now, till I visit the shops and take demo personally, after which I will share my experience on this thread.

Your TV will upscale all video that is fed to it which is of a lesser resolution than its own native resolution. An expensive TV will always provide higher quality upscaling than an entry-level DVD player. The reverse is also true.

Ah! Tell me that. So, if I have 1080p TV then the TV itself will upscale the input to the native resolution. Am I right? Then you mean I dont have to look out for upscale AVR?

Cheers

Yes, these AVRs do not upsclae but I suggested them after looking at selective's budget ... 20-24K.

I am also looking for these features ... but I have budget constarints too :D

Also one can opt for DVD players that upscale instead of choosing the AVRs that do the same job.

Regards,
Siddarth

Last edited:
Ah! Tell me that. So, if I have 1080p TV then the TV itself will upscale the input to the native resolution. Am I right? Then you mean I dont have to look out for upscale AVR?

It's a question of quality. The scaling can be handled by any of the devices: TV, AVR, DVD. The TV will upscale ALL video, while DVD and AVR will natually upscale only video that passes through them (if they support such a feature).

What you need to think about is which will provide the best quality upscaling. That is, the chipset it uses such as Faroudja, Reon, etc. Of course, you will have to buy a rather expensive TV that features such a chipset. Ditto with the DVD player and AVR. To get good upscaling you have to buy a mid- to high-end model.

As Venkat rightly suggests, a mid-level AVR is probably your best bet.

And I am looking for AVR which has HDMI upscaling feature as well.

Hi Selective,
  • Upscaling for Analog inputs (composite or component) is possible using AVRs like Onkyo 606 or Denon 1909. Upscaling for Digitial signals (like HDMI) is not supported. The Onkyo is cheaper than the Denon by approx. Rs. 6000
  • AVRs below this range do not support upscaling to 1080p as far as I am aware.
  • And then there are AVRs priced more than double of this that support both Digital and Analog upscaling. Very good example is the Onkyo 875 priced at about 85K.

Thanks a lot Venkat & Mani. I guess now, I have to take the demo of this to make a final call.

Which is the best place in Bangalore who can patiently listen to my requirements and provide me the demo? Any suggestions?

The Marantz PM7000N offers big, spacious and insightful sound, class-leading clarity and a solid streaming platform in a award winning package.
Back