What 4K media player you suggest

Yes, I do have the Shield as in my signature. :)
Plex Bitstreams DTS and Atmos effortlessly - Dunkirk 4K bluray rip, and Ready Player One 4K Bluray rips are great tests for both.
Awesome. Well I browse the forum in my mobile and the singatures are not visible

I know that shield will bit stream I just wanted to know if u can bit stream using plex app not the plex media server

Well Plex app needs the server to be running, that's how it works. You could always just to do VLC. or Kodi.

Well Plex app needs the server to be running, that's how it works. You could always just to do VLC. or Kodi.
I have a question here. Does Kodi Bitstream Dolby Atmos and DTS-HD MA for audio? I'm newbie to this forum. I'm using MI android box S. I have installed Kodi Leia 18.2.

I have a question here. Does Kodi Bitstream Dolby Atmos and DTS-HD MA for audio? I'm newbie to this forum. I'm using MI android box S. I have installed Kodi Leia 18.2.

It does in the Nvidia shield, not sure the MI Box supports that.

Nvidia shield is very expensive in India. Any other alternative, how about Amazon fire TV stick 4k?
ATV 4K if you want ATMOS on all streaming platforms as well as local content.. Also if you use iOS, the tight integration with your phone makes it a joy to use
Fire TV4K if you are OK with no ATMOS on local and Netflix (Prime ATMOS works well) at a cost that's less than a third of the ATV

PQ is equally good on both although I am a bit partial towards the way ATV handles HDR content

Apple 4k is what you were referring to. Thank you.
Indeed :)
Pricier than the Fire TV but all in all worth it for those little things that add up (esp if you are entrenched in the apple camp )
The overall Hardware quality is better. The processor is faster so UI is a lot snappier.
At the same location (approx 25-30 feet from the primary router) , the ATV connects at 600-700 mbps while the Fire TV requires a fair bit of coaxing to get a stable wifi connection (which shows when streaming uncompressed blu-ray - the ATV plays it without a hitch while the fire TV buffers and stutters)
I eventually relegated the fire TV to my guest room setup although I got to say that for the price, it is an excellent buy!

Have both Shield and 4K Firetv.

Shield has awesome picture quality if you fiddle with the setting...rec709/rec2020 stuff and change with commensurate displays.

The audio passthrough is superlative. TrueHD et all are handled nicely. Firetv 4k gets restricted to 5.1 ...cannot decode 7.1 . Using KODI you can do play 7.1 media files in Firetv4k.

Dolby vision is still in infancy imo. You need compatible devices in the system. I am happy with HDR10 and HDR10+

And shield has Plex server pre-installed.

ATV 4K if you want ATMOS on all streaming platforms as well as local content.. Also if you use iOS, the tight integration with your phone makes it a joy to use
Fire TV4K if you are OK with no ATMOS on local and Netflix (Prime ATMOS works well) at a cost that's less than a third of the ATV

PQ is equally good on both although I am a bit partial towards the way ATV handles HDR content

Are you sure ATV 4K does Atmos on local (NAS) content? As far as I know, it doesn't. Apple has enabled it only for streaming apps (netflix ,etc). Reading up on the Firecore (Infuse) forums, they have petitioned Apple to enable Atmos for local file players, but it's not done yet.

If there are other local video player apps that can do Atmos on ATV 4K, please let me know.

EDIT: I see that mrmc can play EAC encoded Atmos from local files. Interesting, I need to dig deeper into this...

Last edited:
As far as I know firestick can’t bitstream. I installed plex and streamed dts HD and Atmos movies and it didn’t work. But i did not check with Kodi.

Are you sure ATV 4K does Atmos on local (NAS) content? As far as I know, it doesn't. Apple has enabled it only for streaming apps (netflix ,etc). Reading up on the Firecore (Infuse) forums, they have petitioned Apple to enable Atmos for local file players, but it's not done yet.

If there are other local video player apps that can do Atmos on ATV 4K, please let me know.

EDIT: I see that mrmc can play EAC encoded Atmos from local files. Interesting, I need to dig deeper into this...
I use MrMC and it works as expected.
I cancelled my Infuse Pro subscricption because of the same reason.

NF and Prime ATMOS and HDR/DV + Atmos works absolutely fine too

For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back