What budget am i looking at for a full HD projector setup?

Imrahn

I have Zero knowledge on this field and haven't come across a setup personally either,hence asking here.

1.If i am to get an Optoma HD20 from the States/Middle East,what all expenses are there in setting it up apart from the screen?? Can anyone plz post a cost break up of a minimal setup?

2.Can the proj just be placed 4-5 feet away to get the 120"?? Or it has to be placed at a much distant point?

Regards

Imrahn

Imrahn

There is no fixed price formula. It depends on your room acoustics/size, what kind of screen you want to install, etc.I'm assuming that you have the rest of the equipment in place already. My LCD is being ceiling mounted on a low cost bracket(Rs 1200), about 14 feet away from the screen.

There is already a lot of info on this forum on these issues including links to on line calculators to enable you to work out the distances. I suggest you do some research and then ask specific questions that experts can respond to. I have always found that with some knowledge one can make a more informed decision.

Yea, am reading through the various threads bro....but there should be some basic breakup on the materials required for a PJ setup , na?

From what i have gathered for now,

1.A PJ + screen is all that is needed to make a basic setup.

2.20k can get me a half decent 120inch 16:9 screen.

3.Optoma HD20 would cost 50-60k landed bought from abroad and is a very good FHD one for starters.

4.Cabling,room preparation(not treating) etc can be done within 5k.

So, with an 80k budget, i should be able to enter the section of some large screen fun,is this right?

Watching Movies Via Projector

Hello Imrahn,

It will not be wise to watch a movie from 4/5 feet.

There will be more cost of other then projector and screen, which shall be 5.1 speakers, av receiver, basic acoustics, decent seating arrangement, air condition, media player, other expenses, regular cost to source good quality movies. All this will cost easily much over a lac of rupees.

V.

@GeorgeO: Yea, i will be getting a UPS for sure, most probably an APC 1KVA.

@Vinay: Thanx for the pointers bro...will keep them in mind.

First of all, i will be having atleast 10feet viewing distance, just asked whether projector can be placed closer to the screen(4-5feet) as there is no space for projector behind the couch as it is walkway there.

Also, i was sort of asking about the minimum investment to setup a FHD projector.The other things u have mentioned like acoustics,seating etc are for HT and those can wait/implemented later.So,in that sense, its right that i can start enjoying a large screen setup with around 80k in hand, na?

How To Go About

The 10 feet viewing distance could be around 8 feet after adjusting the seating area. I think it is not a good idea to see a huge screen from such distance but there are prominent members who say it is fine with short distance view while there are some who say the distance should be more. I have come across with people who say it is not good for the eyes to see from short distance, here too there are people who do not agree.

In my case i have dealt with 2 projectors and they required a mounting distance of around 10/12 feet, i know of a member who has optama, he has installed at around 12/14 feet, so i doubt you can install projector at 5 feet distance, it is very crucial that you straighten this to avoid any disaster, because placing on the ground level is going to be a nightmare.

It will not be a good step to buy the projector and screen without the 5.1 and receiver, these are a complete must.

Since there are budget and room length issues i suggest you go for the TV (if possible only display) & 5.1,

V.

Last edited:
Thanx again for the valuable suggestions Vinay....I already have the AVR+speakers in my signature fitted with a 46" LCD....was planning to install the screen a feet or so in front of the TV and use the same setup for audio.Am uploading a sample of the hall setup:
ImageShack® - Online Photo and Video Hosting

The hall where this is done is 15x 23 though a bit uneven.We have placed the TV along the width of the hall and thus,the max distance i can get for the projector is around 13feet IF AND ONLY IF ceiling mounted.The couch is placed at 8 feet from the TV now, but can be extended further back to around 11 feet, the rest being walkway.But then also, the screen will be atleast a feet or more in front of the TV, thereby reducing the viewing distance to less than 10 feet.

Projector

The viewing distance which you are getting should be fine as several members are having such distance and they seem to be happy. The only way to handle a projector is via mounting our using a lift which should be avoided because of the cost factor. I think you can consider a height raiser when it comes to projector viewing while you can continue to watch TV at 8F. A half feet gap is more then enough between the TV and screen.

V.

Follow HiFiMART on Instagram for offers, deals and FREE giveaways!
Back